Quick Question for the Fans of Opeth

Gunhaver said:
i'm the only person to think my arms your hearse is the easist album to get into, apparently. sometimes it's hard being the only right person in the world.

You're not alone, little boy.

zeroMaximum said:
blackwater park, obvious choice. when I first heard still life I thought it was kind of cheesy, and listening to some of the songs on that album I still feel the same way.

Although I quite like Still Life, I think what makes it sound a bit cheesy is a particular thing on the vocals that you don't hear so much on the other albums. There's a section on "Godhead's Lament" especially where it really sticks out--is it me or does the way Mikael sings the line "What would they care if I should stay, no one would know, ohhhhh" sound like Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues?

I mean...of all bands...the MOODY BLUES! :p

Rose Immortal said:
Although I quite like Still Life, I think what makes it sound a bit cheesy is a particular thing on the vocals that you don't hear so much on the other albums. There's a section on "Godhead's Lament" especially where it really sticks out--is it me or does the way Mikael sings the line "What would they care if I should stay, no one would know, ohhhhh" sound like Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues?

I mean...of all bands...the MOODY BLUES! :p

Any metal band thats able to create something similar to the moody blues is already way above par. so whats the problem?

LordHypnos said:
Any metal band thats able to create something similar to the moody blues is already way above par. so whats the problem?

It does show a lot of versatility--it's just kind of a strange combination considering that usually the Moody Blues are (to my ear) syrupy sweet and overly sentimental. I do think some of their albums are okay, but sometimes it grates on my nerves. Just depends on my mood, I guess.

{**9**}*CaptainQuark* said:
Strange that you compare them with the Moody Blues. I've always thought that their mellower vocals are nearer Crosby, Stills and Nash –*especially the harmonies in Windowpane.

Probably because of Wilson's voice. Many people I know think PT's Lips of Ashes sounds like CS&N singing.

It really depends what kind of music you like. The first Opeth song I heard was *In The Mist She Was Standing, And then I was hooked. However I still say get Still Life :worship: because it is a masterpiece. And If you are only going to get one album then get Still Life. Deliverance is a great album too. But the first song might sway you off because it is the hardest song ever made by Opeth.

On second thoughts....get them all plus the DVD

*Orchid their fist album :headbang:

My suggestion. Still Life of course, but I think you should also buy Damnation while youre getting into them, that way you wont take the record as crap. Damnation is like a sample of some of the softer Opeth...in fades Still Life
Then again, if you want to get right in to the hard stuff, MAYH is probably the hardest overall, but also one of the more standable in that respect...somehow.

Normally I WOULD say CSNY is a closer comparison, but it's that particular album that makes me think Moody Blues.

My order:

BWP, MayH, Deliverence, Orchid, SL, Damnation, Morningrise

But I'd recomend:

Still Life & deliverence at the same time
And then the rest of 'em in any order

uhhh. the guy who started this thread not paying any attention and hasnt been back since he started it, to my knowledge. just thought id let everyone know before opeth.com pulls the plug on the entire forum....

anything, except deliverance. It's the hardest to get into, because the screaming/growling by mikael have a very different sound to them.