best opeth album?

I will do you a favor, by recommending "My Arms Your Hearse"

BY FAR this is their most gloomy album, with some very haunting acoustic work interspersed with amazing riffs. IMO Mike's most somber singing and death vocals on this album. There are no huge choirs or atmospheric keyboard bits like the Fields of the Nephilim though :) If you want something with only clean vocals, you should get Damnation, this album has keyboards and stuff with beautiful singing and arrangements :)

Btw, if you want something more gothy you might want to check out the Nightingale project from Dan Swano. For something doomy, you might want to hear Shape of Despair, they are funeral doom with keyboards and flutes and Death vox etc...

^ :cool:

I agree, Start with Blackwater Park, it is by far their most accessible album.

This is the way I was introduced to them. Since, they are one of my favorite musical groups ever.:worship:

Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Orchid
My Arms Your Hearse
Deliverance
Damnation
Morningrise ( my absolute fave)
Still Life

No one has metioned this yet so I thought I'd give it a try, If you buy Deliverance buy Damnation with it, and treat it like a double album. Listening to them back to back can be an emotinal, very satisfying experience (if you have the time:rolleyes: )

its all up to opinion...

the top 3 you should be going for are

My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park

but... once again... BUY THEM ALL

This thread has been done over and over and over. I personally dont have a favorite, I dont see how you can compare something like Orchid to Ghost Reveries. They are both fantastic, but completley different. Plus I go through periods of only being able to listen to one Opeth album at a time. Like, it's hard for me to put in Still Life one day, and get into the mood to listen to Morningrise. Maybe I'm just weird.

Can't go wrong with Blackwater Park.
I'd say Ghost Reveries is their most accessible, that or Damnation.
Morningrise is good if you're in that 'morningrise' mood, To Bid You Farewell hooked me to Opeth.

crystal dawn said:
I am by no means a "newbie" and why give such a negative response to an open question? whats wrong with you guys. A girl asks your opinion on something and you would rather come out with wise cracks than give her a straight answer. Just because someone may have asked something simmular before theres no need to get all A.R. And as for checking out other threads well we dont all have time to do that, some of us have to work for a living also you know.

love and light

crystal dawn
Get used to it around here. There's quite a few jackasses on here, but to answer your question, I would start with Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hearse, and Damnation. Any and all of their albums are good though......buy them all!

hibernal_dream said:
Take a look at the other threads, they're not exactly gold. Filled with trolls trying to be smartasses. The glory days of this place are long gone - Half the people on this place need to be banned (NFU, all_sins, i aint play this, detric and the other high school dropouts, none of who contribute shi*t to the place) in order to attract the better newbs and so the better stock don't leave after getting tired of reading childish sh*t. Until then this forum will remain the worst place on UM by far.
:kickass:

hibernal_dream said:
Take a look at the other threads, they're not exactly gold. Filled with trolls trying to be smartasses. The glory days of this place are long gone - Half the people on this place need to be banned (NFU, all_sins, i aint play this, detric and the other high school dropouts, none of who contribute shi*t to the place) in order to attract the better newbs and so the better stock don't leave after getting tired of reading childish sh*t. Until then this forum will remain the worst place on UM by far.

it's so true. this place use to be great. it seems like every new thread with a question in it is shot down by one of these asses. it's fucking sad, people use to post huge reviews of concerts that took place just hours before. those were simpler times my friends...

Lothlorien said:
it's so true. this place use to be great. it seems like every new thread with a question in it is shot down by one of these asses. it's fucking sad, people use to post huge reviews of concerts that took place just hours before. those were simpler times my friends...

You're just so metal.:lol: