Racism

Tye

The Necromancer!
Dec 9, 2003
Irlanda del Norte
Last autumn I was starting my Christmas shopping (thought I'd start a wee bit early for once) and spent many hours shopping. Naturally I was feeling tired from all the rushing about and all that so I decided to go to a cafe for a cup of tea and maybe something to eat. When I got there I noticed that the place was taken over by a Filipino cafe (nothing to do with the title yet!). I decided to go in anyway. I stepped inside and got angry glares from the customers (maybe because I was the only white person in there or my long hair?) but I decided to order some food. The 'lady' at the counter informed me that they do not serve chips (french fries to all you yanks that might be reading this). I told her (politely) that I wanted to try something from the Phillipines but she kept insisting that she didn't serve chips and told me to leave the building!

I have traveled to many countries and I was always greated warmly by the locals but this is the first time I have encountered this in my own country. Strange huh?

strange, indeed.

maybe they want to keep their cafè a place for "them" only - illegal -, and so they think if they start serving meal to irish people more will come.
but that's pretty stupid of them, unless there are other reasons for her behaviour.

I'd have to guess they're either racist against non-Phillipino's or they're just assholes.
Fuck em either which way.

The third possibility is that they're just too disrespectfull to learn the native language before they set up shop in another country (that kind of thing is EVERYWHERE down here), and flat out didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

hahahah Thanks for the suggestions. The funny thing is that the Filipio woman serving actually had a strong Belfast accent (the city in question). Maybe she married a local man or has just lived here a long time.

Imagine me opening up a cafe and saying to Southern Asians "We don't serve curry, now f*ck off!" That would cause a lot of trouble.

mourningstar said:
but that's pretty stupid of them, unless there are other reasons for her behaviour.

periods? stupidy? :err:
meh feeling soo intelligent and irritating today

maybe it wasn't racism, maybe you were dressed in a metal way or something and she felt intimidated? or... something. there could be many reasons why she acted that way. it doesnt have to be racism.

I'm thinking it was either racism or she didn't like the way you look. In the first case, outright racism is quite rare (at least here). The places serving exotic cuisine here usually welcome those who are trying something new and are "not one of them". I've been to places which cater to mostly whites or other groups which I don't belong, and they greet me the same as they do the other patrons. At most, they kind of stare and smile at the Chinese girl trying something new.

It could have been the second as they thought you looked scrappy in their opinions; the Phillipines and its community being more conservative.
Not that all Asians think that.

You're welcome to have some tea and try some Asian food (Chinese) at my place. :wave:
and I'm not only offering cause you're hot either. :D

Evan84 said:
Sounds like piece of shit ethnic minorities to me!
Come on dude, we've not all like that. There are some people who are ethnic majorities who are assholes too.

Nice avatar btw. Blue jays rule.

Tye said:
Last autumn I was starting my Christmas shopping (thought I'd start a wee bit early for once) and spent many hours shopping. Naturally I was feeling tired from all the rushing about and all that so I decided to go to a cafe for a cup of tea and maybe something to eat. When I got there I noticed that the place was taken over by a Filipino cafe (nothing to do with the title yet!). I decided to go in anyway. I stepped inside and got angry glares from the customers (maybe because I was the only white person in there or my long hair?) but I decided to order some food. The 'lady' at the counter informed me that they do not serve chips (french fries to all you yanks that might be reading this). I told her (politely) that I wanted to try something from the Phillipines but she kept insisting that she didn't serve chips and told me to leave the building!

I have traveled to many countries and I was always greated warmly by the locals but this is the first time I have encountered this in my own country. Strange huh?
That's very sad, but unfortunately it happens every day...even to us Yanks!

mousewings said:
I'm thinking it was either racism or she didn't like the way you look. In the first case, outright racism is quite rare (at least here). The places serving exotic cuisine here usually welcome those who are trying something new and are "not one of them". I've been to places which cater to mostly whites or other groups which I don't belong, and they greet me the same as they do the other patrons. At most, they kind of stare and smile at the Chinese girl trying something new.

It could have been the second as they thought you looked scrappy in their opinions; the Phillipines and its community being more conservative.
Not that all Asians think that.

You're welcome to have some tea and try some Asian food (Chinese) at my place. :wave:
and I'm not only offering cause you're hot either. :D[/QUOTE=

Thanks for your comment. I do have a lot of respect for people that come here and open up their business (N.I not being the most glamourous place to live). Maybe they want the cafe for their own community. I would'nt have minded if the lady in charge was at least polite about it.

Ok I will go to your place for some food (plus jasmine tea if you if you drink this) and you don't have to serve chips just for me :Spin:

BTW you are the first person to say that I am hot here (or elsewhere for that matter!). Thanks a lot unless that was biting sarcasm.

As for evan84 from Detroit's comment - I was not speaking out because they are minorities. I like to treat people based on their personality not their background, race etc.

Hmm... we have jasmine tea, along with Indian black tea, chai, medicinal tea, several varieties of coffee. Not really any food except meat, frozen veggies, and a large bottle of wine (used too liberally in cooking).

Come over if you can stand the caffiene buzz and hangover.

If they wanted the cafe for their own community, then it should have stayed there, not in an area with a lot of shoppers.

Not being sarcastic in the comment on your looks (you can truly tell when I'm being snarly)... you are hot. The people may be shy and not say that often. :)

Thanks for the kind words and thought you do not have a photo, I am sure you are not so bad looking yourself.

Yes I think I can handle a wee bit of coffee and/or wine. Tell me when you want me over!

Tye said:
Thanks for the kind words and thought you do not have a photo, I am sure you are not so bad looking yourself.
You're welcome. The second is what they say and then some. If you haven't seen a pic, how do you know? The pic I have isn't too good anyways

Come over whenever. :D