Rank these thrash bassists

John Myung is astounding, just not a show off. But listen to DT's first album, and you'll hear a little of what he can do, if he really chooses to. He also makes a guest appearance on Sean Malone's first Gordian Knot album. He's just one of those guys that tends to really stay back musically, and onstage physically. Tony Levin has also worked with Peter Gabriel. I love the Bozzio Levin Stevens material. People are shocked when I tell them the guitarist they hear is S.S.. I wonder if Ron Royce has done anything since Coroner split up.

John Myung is astounding, just not a show off. But listen to DT's first album, and you'll hear a little of what he can do, if he really chooses to. He also makes a guest appearance on Sean Malone's first Gordian Knot album. He's just one of those guys that tends to really stay back musically, and onstage physically. Tony Levin has also worked with Peter Gabriel. I love the Bozzio Levin Stevens material. People are shocked when I tell them the guitarist they hear is S.S.. I wonder if Ron Royce has done anything since Coroner split up.

for some reason i think people think steve stevens can't play guitar when in fact he's probably one of the top 25 active guitar players on the planet right now.

I love his work, those albums are astounding. Also I like his work with Liquid Tension Experiment and the wild improv of Liquid Trio Experiment.
Did you know he played for Alice Cooper after the original line-up disbanded? He's on "Welcome To My Nightmare", "Goes To Hell" and "Lace & Whiskey"?

That's a bit unfair. She started a thread with an specific goal, we drifted it apart (I'm to blame too), but it's all good in a sane discussion , we're UMOS!

thats true. we got it off topic. i never noticed levin was part of the hollywood vampires (coopers band from 1975-1978)

totally off topic did anyone ever notice that singer davy vain from the band vain producd a death angel album?

There are many excellent bassist in 'extreme' Metal - Alex Webster, Erland Casperson, etc. But not too many in thrash other than the relatively rare DiGiorgios, etc.
From the OP list:

1) Cliff Burton
2) Dave Ellifson

...everyone else is more or less interchangable I hate to say it, with Araya at the very bottom probably.

Yeah true....he seems to handle just about any style. And since you mentioned him, I guess you'd have to say the Original Fates Warning bassist Joe Dibiase is is highly skilled as well.

We are drifting again but I was listening to Tarot yesterday and Marco Hietala is a mean bass player too, never paid attention for his work on Nightwish and Sinergy but in Tarot (his band) he surely have what it takes.

But Vera and Dibiase are thrash bassists, at least earlier in their career.:heh:

Bello, Cliff, and Ellefson are towards the top of my list.
Bello really complements the music he plays, Cliff could put on a good solo. I think Araya deserves credit Because he plays and does vocals, but then again he kinda sucked at both so he's towards the bottom of my list. I play bass myself and I see Cliff, and Bello as influences in my style. Everyone else ranks pretty much the same.

Where the hell are Steve Di Giorgio (Sadus and Testament), John Emery (Anacrusis), Mike Jastremski (Heathen) and Ron Royce (the almighty Coroner)?

I was trying to keep the list short. And this is a blatant rip-off of the other topic, so I just used the same bands.

You obviously aren't a musician. Cliff was a very good bassist, but as Greeno said, Wooten is from another planet. It's not fair to compare them (death and all) but Wooten is on a different plane of technicality and playing ability.

Greeno, as for Flea, he's a brilliant bassist. I doubt he's as good as Wooten, but still a VERY talented bassist who can do some mesmerizing slap stuff.

I have a strong anti-Flea/Claypool bias. I should probably give them more credit but I'm personally not a huge fan of either of them, at all. Though I like Les more than Flea.

I agree with you about Wooten, but I just love everything about Cliff's playing style.

Bello, Cliff, and Ellefson are towards the top of my list.
Bello really complements the music he plays, Cliff could put on a good solo. I think Araya deserves credit Because he plays and does vocals, but then again he kinda sucked at both so he's towards the bottom of my list. I play bass myself and I see Cliff, and Bello as influences in my style. Everyone else ranks pretty much the same.

You're right, I already mentioned Cliff and Ellefson but Bello belongs near the top of the list, too.

And everyone always talks about how he has no musical talent, and I feel pretty much the same way, but in his defense Araya has done well for a bassist/vocalist who can't sing or play bass. He's a perfect fit for Slayer, a guy who makes loud, mostly incoherent noise. :Smug:

I was trying to keep the list short. And this is a blatant rip-off of the other topic, so I just used the same bands.

Don't worry about it! You started a thread that obviously has us babbling, so..... good thread!:headbang:

And everyone always talks about how he has no musical talent, and I feel pretty much the same way, but in his defense Araya has done well for a bassist/vocalist who can't sing or play bass. He's a perfect fit for Slayer, a guy who makes loud, mostly incoherent noise. :Smug:
His playing is adequate. He's not out to break any new ground with the bass. He keeps in rhythm and time. That's about it. And he does it well for Slayer. As for his vocals. We'll I guess I am the only one that likes his vocals and think they fit Slayer very well. Really no other vocal style would be good for them.

As for the list, Cliff no doubt followed by Ellefson. Cliff did more then just solos ala Pulling Teeth. Everyone would just have to listen to Orion to see he was a talent. Bassists do not have to play fast to be great.

His playing is adequate. He's not out to break any new ground with the bass. He keeps in rhythm and time. That's about it. And he does it well for Slayer. As for his vocals. We'll I guess I am the only one that likes his vocals and think they fit Slayer very well. Really no other vocal style would be good for them.

I agree, he's a decent enough bassist and his vocal style does fit perfectly for Slayer.

But seriously, you don't need a fully functioning brain to match his musical ability. I'm not trying to bash him for the hell of it, but it's true. I'll say this though--occasionally, out of the blue, he writes some good lyrics every now and then. I will definitely give him that.

Frank Bello, Steve DiGiorgio, Cliff Burton and Dave Ellefson are favorites of mine! They all have great sound and easily distinguishable style, not to mention songwriting credits with Burton and Ellefson...