Votes: 15 8.5%

Votes: 51 29.0%

Votes: 59 33.5%

Votes: 27 15.3%

• Total voters

philno

New Metal Member
Jun 14, 2008
simple really. i just want to see the consensus over here. rate it as an album, don't be extra harsh because it's an opeth album.

4. Great atmosphere, great playing, but lacks something I can't quite figure out yet (and no, it's not balls) that I can find in other Opeth albums (namely MAYH, SL and BWP). A small step down from GR IMHO, which was an huge step up from D1 (D2, I'm not quite sure how to rate it, since it's different).

5 if I consider all the trash out there
4.5 among other Opeth albums. I only consider GR better.

I gave it a 4.5 because I think it is a great album and there are no "BAD" songs. The thing that ruins it mostly for me is the outro of burden. Other things are also in the outros in few other songs just really drag on like the lotus eater and hessian peel makes me want to skip it to the next track. This is the only thing that kind of ruins it for me and I know some will agree and some will disagree. There arent any other things yet because the album is still kind of fresh for me which is really good because Im already kind of sick of death magnetic by metallica...

Better than Ghost Reveries overall I find. I like the experimenting done on it, brings something fresh...But something is lacking from their previous albums, can't quite put my finger on it. That's not to say it isn't good.

Some call me a harsh critic...

If you think it's good, but not great, you should give it a 3 imo. but that's just my scale. I gave it a 4.

3, subject to change, im not listening or have listened to it in a while, im in a morningrise phaze right now, but will go back to it later, possibly around christmas

I like the direction. Can't give 5 'cuz 5 is perfect, and it's hard to give anything a perfect score.

Liking the direction, I'm hoping they keep mixing it up (that's what I mean about direction, if that makes any sense). It seems they continually open themselves up to different styles and suprising twists, which is what I like. To those looking for more of the same, I'm sorry to say they will not be rewriting old albums.

If the next album ends up being heavier than, say, Deliverance, this will just continue my love for the constant directional changes of the band. If you listen to each album, you'll get something totally different from the last. That is something even the new direction haters can agree on!:)

4.5 Best Opeth album.
Very ballsy. Maybe a little too ballsy. The only problems are (imo) transitions like Coil into HA, the ending of Burden/Lotus Eater, and the lyrics (the ones I can hear) do nothing for me.

3, NOT more.
Lacks a lot of the "foresty" and dark atmosphere of their other albums.
Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater and Derelict Herds are great songs, though. Hessian Peel has its moments, too.

voted 4, better than GR, D1 and D2 so far. it is a sweet album but there are some things that dont do it for me. here are some of the things that i think could have been better:

-lyrics (sounds cheesy, too
-vocals (has a strange quality about them that i cant describe, but dont like it either way, growls or cleans)
-instruments (still alot of overdone pentatonic stuff/too much bending/vibrato etc, alot of synth work i dont like, alot of boring double-bass drumming, needs more buddy rich style fills, the solos to me were pretty flat, either sort of fast shreddy style things that rate very low in my book or typical pentatonic/blues style cheesiness. solos need a different perspective or a little more spice)
-structure (still too many riffs for my liking, id prefer something with alot more flow and room for soloing/improvising/jamming whatever, and less repetitive stuff. also, alot of the songs have a fairly boring verse-chorus-verse-bridge/interlude/lead-chorus etc. style. i dont really like forms like AABA either so this isnt a real knock against the album but still its something id like to change.
-probably some more stuff but i forgot

good stuff:
-more bass and keys
-good mix of consonance/dissonance, atonality, cacophony
-more mellow, alot of cool acoustic fingerstyle parts
-cool use of harmony in both chords and harmony between instruments / cool melodies
-the slow, minimalist parts
-experimentation
-porcelain heart (jokes)
-the dancing music at the end of burden (LOL)

overall a good effort. one and a half thumbs up from me