RE: Periphery - Icarus Lives REMIX

I took Periphery's instrumental version of the song and the vocal stems of Spencer's that Sumerian Records released for a remix contest and covered/remixed it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9992828/Icarus Lives REMIX (Feat. John Galloway).mp3

I just want opinions from you learned producers about how I've mixed the vocals on top of the song.

I recorded with an MXL 990. I tried my best to EQ the vocals as Spencer's stems were.

So, how does it sound? And for actual fans of Periphery, what do you think with the adjustments I've made to the song?

All I did was record my screaming, and remix/edit, then master. Just to eliminate any possible misunderstandings.

too many effects going on in my opinion. I like how you brought up the other layers of vocals to hear him singing in the other octaves, but all the glitching, screaming, pitch shifting, distorting, etc. is just too much. I don't think the cookie monster vox fit this song at all, nor the high pitched screaming.

I figured as much. I kind of really love vocoders and glitchy type effects so that's why I used them. It's too far from the original version though, especially since my vocals are a lot different than Spencer's. His fit the melodic groove a lot better than death metal-style vocals, I suppose.

It's all personal preference, I guess. :D

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the actual vocals you added were good (screams/growls), but I think it doesn't fit a 'Periphery' song, especially this one. I like what you did with the layers of clean vocals though. Some of the glitching is ok, but it fatigues the ears when you hear too many effects.