Reamping guys: I need your help!

Okay so I've finally had a listen through!

I think so far my favourites are the ones submitted by GoddamnGuitar, Sysera, Morgoe & punckrock.

GoddamnGuitar: The most crushing one, without doubt. Very strong tone and a lack of fizz, which I really like. The drawback is that it seems to sound a little 'pushed' or forced, like I'm hearing some phase/off-axis tone from the speaker. This might be part of your style though, and why you always get such crushing raw tones on the clips?

Morgoe: Smooth sounding, but a little bit cloudy. The vocals brought the lolz :)

punckrock: Smooth sounding once again and I really like the gain on this one. It has a certain compressed quality to it. It's closer to the tones I was playing with earlier. A bit strong in the tubby frequency region.

Sysera: Strong tone but I think it has a bit too much of that off-axis cloudiness to be useful in this case. Plus it's kind of hard to tell from this clip because the entire mix has been smashed so hard! Sounds crushing, but definitely has a bit too much of that off-axis cloudiness. May have worked if you were reamping Evergrey's 'The Inner Circle'!

Okay so what I'll do is muse over these for a day and also send the links to the band for them to give some feedback. If you 4 guys could by any chance send me short snippets of the raw guitars so I can put them in the mix myself and make sure they are all at perceptibly equal volume for fairness that would be great.

Everyone else, thank you so much for taking the time to try it out. Hopefully next time around those tones will be more suited to the project.

I did an ugly one, no reamping device just a matter of reducing the signal into the savage from my soundcard. Works pretty good but it's not optimal.

Ahh damn, I was wondering why it sounded a little weird. That's a shame because I think I'm leaning on your reamp's general tonality as my fave.

Would you consider trying the 6505 preamp captures I posted above? You could just line them out into the Savage power section, no reamp/reduction processes needed.

Ahh damn, I was wondering why it sounded a little weird. That's a shame because I think I'm leaning on your reamp's general tonality as my fave.

Would you consider trying the 6505 preamp captures I posted above? You could just line them out into the Savage power section, no reamp/reduction processes needed.

This was really done quick with one of my presets. Give me a real shot at it and I'll definetly do a better one. But then you have to wait untill weekend since I'm rehearsing tonight and then gigging on thursday.

Cool?

Cool man, I'm starting a full length this weekend so I won't be able to get around to this mix at least until the middle of July. Take your time, if you others want to refine or touch up anything, feel free too.

Call me stupid....but I think this is not a mixing/mastering battle. :)
So....for me it's better to mix reamped tracks with the drum/bass track (only levels) and nothing more.
If it is a reamp "battle" I don't understand why someone should master the clip at -6dB RMS......to impress more than other guys?
At least we can decide to use -10db RMS max.....
For me it would be more correct :)

Call me stupid....but I think this is not a mixing/mastering battle. :)
So....for me it's better to mix reamped tracks with the drum/bass track (only levels) and nothing more.
If it is a reamp "battle" I don't understand why someone should master the clip at -6dB RMS......to impress more than other guys?
At least we can decide to use -10db RMS max.....
For me it would be more correct :)

What is your issue with this?

Nobody is having a battle with this but you and I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone.

Some of us prefer to hear how our guitar tone will stand up in a mix and MASTERING scenario with the other instruments because I certainly find it actually has a profound effect, regardless of what the guitar sound was before it's been compressed or limited. Much the same as the reason he included the bass and drum track, without context, finding a suitable guitar tone is a bit silly. I'll add again, he has a link to the raw WAV files in his inbox, so he can test them himself if he desires.

I'm not arguing with you...it's a general discussion :)
I mean, you can reamp, mix the tracks with bass and drums and that's all...you can judge the contest also without pushing it at -5dB rms. But mainly I said that because here you can find a clip very low and a clip very very loud and this way, for me, is not clear to judge different tones.
Anyway I finally pushed my clips too (also if I think it's not the right way to judge different reamps and a guitar tones)

I think XeS makes a good point. I put the rough mix at an RMS level that I felt comfortable for most to maintain. I didn't intend for anyone to push things with a limiter on the back end, but that's ok, that's why we'll collect the raw tracks and present them all at equal levels for the band.

Once again thanks for the additional entries. I'll have a listen to them tomorrow through the monitors.

@Ola: If you can, maybe give the 6505 preamp outs I posted before a shot through the Savage. It's a long shot, but it might get around the problem of impedance matchin slightly. I've reamped the entire CD with the 6505, my main problem is that I had to use impulses.

@Ola: If you can, maybe give the 6505 preamp outs I posted before a shot through the Savage. It's a long shot, but it might get around the problem of impedance matchin slightly. I've reamped the entire CD with the 6505, my main problem is that I had to use impulses.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing man, I'm gonna do several clips this weekend.

Thanks for taking the time Mikko, but the very reason I'm posting these up is so that I don't have to use impulses. I thought the 6505 with impulses would cut it, but I always find that impulses fall apart with EQing more so than raw cab tracks. So I'd just love to keep it as natural as possible!

Ermz, heh...keeping holidays here so its just sauna and grilling which takes time besides the mobile phone dial-up I'm using here in our summer place. Everyone who posted used real cabs? I'm asking cause I haven't downloaded (with 2-4ktps speed) much anything.

Anyways, don't give up hope with impulses yet, cause (even) I haven't. I learned some things during this reamping also, mostly worried how my take no# 1 could have been in the mix. Just for fun I was positively surprised when I made this 10db RMS mix:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/fractal.wonderland/test_mv.mp3

Those other takes would cut even better.

EDIT: Here is new one with more balanced guitars (I used impulse no#9):

http://www.kolumbus.fi/fractal.wonderland/take9_newmix.mp3

This is cool place to test reampings, impulses and stuff.

Greets,

Mikko