Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy

this is fucking GRRRRRRREAT man!

also may i ask if slip editing works well on guitars too?
and is it available on cubase 5? cause i'm still using the damn scissors...

Let's say there's a section where a drum was hit a bit too early before the click, and when I would try a normal slip there is a really obvious artifact. Are you guys time stretching sections like these? Same goes with guitar/bass.

Let's say there's a section where a drum was hit a bit too early before the click, and when I would try a normal slip there is a really obvious artifact. Are you guys time stretching sections like these? Same goes with guitar/bass.

I haven't done a whole of slip editing, but I have run into a few issues where there is kick/snare hits that, say one is a bit early and one is a bit late, and if you slip too far, you get an extra hit. It may be best to just manually edit these parts if you are sample replacing anyway.

In those cases you can try to time stretch the tail of previous hit to fill the gap (Snares sound really bad when stretched :puke: ) or replace it from somewhere else in the recording. Another take for example.

Indeed, that's how I usually go about it, only stretching the sustain not the attack. This doesn't cause any phase issues or anything does it?

Indeed, that's how I usually go about it, only stretching the sustain not the attack. This doesn't cause any phase issues or anything does it?

Not really if you stretch all the tracks at the same time. The tracks shifting slightly out of phase for a 1/2 second is less distracting than a double hit or a glitch anyway.

I cut, then stretch the part until the double hit disappears under the crossfade, then fine tune.

I find "syncronised normal" to be the best sounding stretch algorithm for drums.

Sorry for a little offtop, but does anyone know is slip editing possible in Studio One Pro 2 ? Thank you in advance!

Sorry for a little offtop, but does anyone know is slip editing possible in Studio One Pro 2 ? Thank you in advance!

Sheesh, of course! It's been there since v1!

Presonus do offer a demo you know, it also comes with a great manual.
On page 74/258:
"To use Slip, select the Arrow tool, and then press and hold [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+[Alt] on the keyboard, while floating the mouse over an Audio Event. The Slip tool icon will appear. Click-and-drag on the Event to slip the audio left or right across the timeline. Multiple Audio Events can be selected and slipped at once, even across multiple tracks.
When slipping the audio in an Audio Event, note that all of the Event characteristics remain
unchanged, including the Event size, position, Inspector parameters, and volume envelope. An Audio Event can be slipped only as far as the length of the audio clip it contains."

Sheesh, of course! It's been there since v1!

Presonus do offer a demo you know, it also comes with a great manual.
On page 74/258:
"To use Slip, select the Arrow tool, and then press and hold [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+[Alt] on the keyboard, while floating the mouse over an Audio Event. The Slip tool icon will appear. Click-and-drag on the Event to slip the audio left or right across the timeline. Multiple Audio Events can be selected and slipped at once, even across multiple tracks.
When slipping the audio in an Audio Event, note that all of the Event characteristics remain
unchanged, including the Event size, position, Inspector parameters, and volume envelope. An Audio Event can be slipped only as far as the length of the audio clip it contains."

MEGA THANX!:headbang:

No worries, im demoing it and trying to understand its features.
And why do you question the legality of my software?

My apologies, I incorrectly assumed you were running the full version of Studio One 2 Pro, didn't realise you were running the demo. Sorry dude. Was wondering why someone would buy the Pro version without knowing how to even slip! :)
Sorry for detailing the thread, Studio One really is a great DAW, dig through the manual and you'll really see how your workflow can improve ten-fold. The Pro version is defo worth it too, great all in one solution.
Anyone know if/when Avid will introduce slipping as we know it and not the slipping they have at the mo?
Also, what new features are people liking in Reaper4 that were not in v3? I haven't taken a proper look since moving to Studio One, but I get the impression that Reaper is still pretty much the Linux of the DAW world!

No problem man! Its my fault! Sometimes its worth it to RTFM before asking)) Thank you one more time!

Can someone screenshot me their custom Split macro? The commands are different in reaper 4.

Pardon me....But I never heard of "synchronized normal" in Reaper....

O RLY?

reaper_stretch_type.png

There you go
:)

If you are getting artifacts when stretching its worth trying a few different algorithms and see if it goes away. It can be set globally and per-item.