Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

hey darthjuju would you mind PMing me about how to embed the tempo info in a midi track in reaper? i've been trying to figure that out for the longest time and the search function has failed me. both google and UM ): thanks!

this.

BUT- in protools, the option is grayed unless you have a MIDI track somewhere in the project.

Is there a way to achieve this method in logic pro?

And also, what do you do if there's cymbals and snare hitting at the same time as the kick, but the kick is little late? Because i can't get around moving the cymbal and snare early, just so the kick can be on time.

Well you can move that single kick hit separately as long as it doesn't have too much bleeds from the rest of the kit.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU Adam couse you saved me (and few of my friends too) like half of lifetime with this and the elastic audio tutorials! <3 u bro!

Is there a way to achieve this method in logic pro?

And also, what do you do if there's cymbals and snare hitting at the same time as the kick, but the kick is little late? Because i can't get around moving the cymbal and snare early, just so the kick can be on time.

Nah no slip editing in Logic unfortunately. If the snare and kick are flamming, line up the whole kit with the snare and do the kick separately.

Nah no slip editing in Logic unfortunately. If the snare and kick are flamming, line up the whole kit with the snare and do the kick separately.

Sorry for being a total n00b;

When you say line up the kit with the snare, are you excluding the kick from the group editing entirely? After the rest of the kit has been edited, then going back and doing the kick ?

File>Export Project MIDI and make sure that the "Embed Tempo Map" checkbox is checked off.

I appreciate your posting of this tutorial.

I have not been able to figure out how to export my tempo map into Reaper to give this a shot.

Forgive my noobness.

Just curious.. If a drummer accidently skips a beat ahead over a time of about 2 measures, does this technique still work?

Just curious.. If a drummer accidently skips a beat ahead over a time of about 2 measures, does this technique still work?

You might get lucky but probably not. Once a drummer is playing too fast and you have to start pulling things apart from each other to fill the space the edits start to get more noticeable. You can't edit dog food into a steak if you know what I mean ;) Always aim to track as if editing isn't even possible!

Have to say... I never really tried this technique before because I didn't have material I could test with. But I've got a new song from the band recorded, and I've been fucking around with it in various hosts - Logic, Studio One, and now Reaper.

Studio One has a great mixer. Visually easy to use, isn't a strain to look at, and has kick ass drag and drop functionality. But slip editing in Studio One isn't as easy as it is in Reaper.

Logic - Flex time is just a ball-ache to use.

Reaper pwns both for drum editing. I'm thinking of either going straight back to Reaper, or just doing what Adam says he does, and use Reaper solely for drum editing.

Which features are those Adam? I'm interested because your workflow for editing is really easy. I'm wondering if there are any other tricks I'm missing.

Thank you. Made the switch to reaper from Cakewalk sonar as iv been frustrated just way way too much and you just made editing drums a hell of a load easier!

Anyone having issues with ctrl+z? If I press it a random number of times, I lose all my tracks, and can't redo them back. I end up having to close the program and start it again, ending up where I last saved X|.

Anyone having issues with ctrl+z? If I press it a random number of times, I lose all my tracks, and can't redo them back. I end up having to close the program and start it again, ending up where I last saved X|.

Probably undo limit is set too small. Go Preference>General and make sure "Maximum undo history use" is set to like 256mb or more. I think it used to be 20mb by default which is too small when doing lots of slip editing.