Reasons why PP7 isn't sold out yet?

Emerald Sword said:
The truth about what? This subject has been discussed ad nauseum. I love the lineup and wouldn't bash it even if I didn't. It's not cool to disrespect Glenn and his crew who work so hard to produce this show every year by dredging up this nonsense about a sellout or not...again.

Emerald Sword, I don't believe the post was intended to insult Glenn and his crew. This person was expressing their opinion in what I thought was a respectful way.

I believe the argument that the US has no appreciation for good non-commercial music is exactly why we should all be pleased to be able to attend a festival such as ProgPower. It also gives lie to the idea that this is not an all-star lineup for ProgPower. How many of the so called all-stars are even a blip on the popular music radar?

I attended ProgPower 3&4 and both times I was a fan of maybe two or three of the bands but I was glad to attend to have a chance to see the rest of the roster whom I'd likely never see anywhere else. I came away a fan of Pain of Salvation, Mercenary and others who I'd never heard previously.

If you're truly upset about the state of the US music scene, come support the festival and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and help ProgPower to continue with the possibility of bringing in more "all-star" acts in the future.

Oh, and since I'm truly metal f**k you all I'm going anyway! :) :headbang:

It just kills me when bands like Edguy and Hammerfall and Blind Gaudian and Within Temptation release albums and they enter the Billboard charts in the top 40 in Europe and the surrounding areas. Why not here. There is something bad wrong. I can't be the only one that sees this can I?
Also add into this mix NIGHTWISH, when "ONCE" was released it soared to the top of the european charts in a matter of days with huge advance sales, and stayed there, and stayed there. Then Roadrunner released it here in the states, where did it debut??? Who Knows, because the major music, and record companies here control the charts and the radio stations. "ONCE" released in the states in August 2004, first airplay in the town i live in EL PASO which by the way is a city of 1 million, was October 2005 one full year after the Roadarunner US release, and it was introduced as, "here is a song by a new band on the music scene, with there FIRST release". The station manager also told me there is no call or this kind of music anywhere in the states, so we don't play it, cause it wouldn't go over, Give me a break!! "Play it and they will come" I once did a quest spot on this same radio station where they let a novise come in and for two hours play the music they like, it was from 10PM to 12 PM on a suday night, well my set list was like a who's who of PROG/POWER NIGHTWISH, EDGUY, SONATA ARCTICA, ROYAL HUNT, ROB ROCK, LOST HORIZON, KAMELOT, SYMPHONY X, BALANCE OF POWER, and many many more, well the response was over 300 phone calls durning and well after the show ended, asking "WHO WAS THAT SONG BY, IT BLEW ME AWAY, WHY HASN"T IT BEEN PLAYED BEFORE" the station manager's response, IT WAS JUST A FLUKE. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! Our problem here in the US is not the fans, its the music industry( the major labels) that is the problem, they would rather promote Britney Spears, and the likes instead of talent. Luckily there are the labels that do promote the Prog/power genre like NIGHTMARE, SENSORY, LASER"S EDGE. and others. ONE DAY GUYS AND GALS people will notice and will say where has this great music been.

Everyone seems bummed out that Nevermore are'nt on the bill. Not me, i don't think they are that great a band. Their music is pretty much generic and they really don't have a singer imo. I think everyone is gonna be "completely" blown away by Mr. Jorn Lande ;)

adaher said:
Glenn, I don't think anyone's saying this year is a failure. People are just speculating as to why this year has seen less demand than the last few years.

In my opinion, it's your avatar. You did much better with the cowbell avatar. All these constant avatar changes are damaging your business. People think you are unstable. Bring back the cowbell!

AMEN - this should close the case on this "arguement". Mystery solved - Good work Shaggy & Scooby. This festival needs more COWBELL! Whooooo (ode to the Nature BOY avatar there). That alone will bring in the stragglers well in advance of the festival dates - then we can get on to more important discussions - like luggage cart races, transportation to/from the afterparties, which bellhops are reliable for transporting drunk people to their rooms, which are just useless, Simone's room #, and important things like that.

Hail,
jeff

Pyramaze51 said:
Also add into this mix NIGHTWISH, when "ONCE" was released it soared to the top of the european charts in a matter of days with huge advance sales, and stayed there, and stayed there. Then Roadrunner released it here in the states, where did it debut??? Who Knows, because the major music, and record companies here control the charts and the radio stations. "ONCE" released in the states in August 2004, first airplay in the town i live in EL PASO which by the way is a city of 1 million, was October 2005 one full year after the Roadarunner US release, and it was introduced as, "here is a song by a new band on the music scene, with there FIRST release". The station manager also told me there is no call or this kind of music anywhere in the states, so we don't play it, cause it wouldn't go over, Give me a break!! "Play it and they will come" I once did a quest spot on this same radio station where they let a novise come in and for two hours play the music they like, it was from 10PM to 12 PM on a suday night, well my set list was like a who's who of PROG/POWER NIGHTWISH, EDGUY, SONATA ARCTICA, ROYAL HUNT, ROB ROCK, LOST HORIZON, KAMELOT, SYMPHONY X, BALANCE OF POWER, and many many more, well the response was over 300 phone calls durning and well after the show ended, asking "WHO WAS THAT SONG BY, IT BLEW ME AWAY, WHY HASN"T IT BEEN PLAYED BEFORE" the station manager's response, IT WAS JUST A FLUKE. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! Our problem here in the US is not the fans, its the music industry( the major labels) that is the problem, they would rather promote Britney Spears, and the likes instead of talent. Luckily there are the labels that do promote the Prog/power genre like NIGHTMARE, SENSORY, LASER"S EDGE. and others. ONE DAY GUYS AND GALS people will notice and will say where has this great music been.

That's awesome that you were able to do that! :kickass: That's total BS on the station manager's part for sure!

edgeofthorns said:
Magius, I'm not sure how to respond, because I'm not sure how to take your comments? Clear me up man. By the way, I'm not intending on slamming or insulting anyone if that's the way you took my comment.

Yes, I did catch Angrarules' little comment about Americans, but I've learned to let stupid shit like that slide in the age that we're in.......ooops, I guess I didn't did I? :) If I got bent out of shape every time I heard a person slam Americans I wouldn't be able to listen to music, watch movies or tv, or even read anything! :)

Thorns,

I don't think this was at you even though he copied a part of your quote in there. I think your quote was just used as an exaple to make a point to Dark one.

Anyway........whatever.......it is all good. :kickass:

Theandromedastrain said:
I don't care if progpower doesnt sell out or not, im just happy to be able to attend a festival like this and see bands that I love, know them or not. It's a treat unlike any other imagineable for me.

Ditto! I go for the bands and the reunion of friends.
Cindy

Tungarknivor said:
Everyone seems bummed out that Nevermore are'nt on the bill. Not me, i don't think they are that great a band. Their music is pretty much generic and they really don't have a singer imo. I think everyone is gonna be "completely" blown away by Mr. Jorn Lande ;)

Here! Here! I raise my glass to you my friend. We will celebrate the vocal greatness of Jorn together. He is 400X a better vocalist than Dane could ever dream of being...and his music kicks ass too!

Thanks dude. Jorn is gonna make PP 06 something special :) I own 15 albums Jorn is on and the dude is the most talented singer/songwriter of today.

Well, the point that some have made, isn't whether Jorn is going to be good, but rather that the show would've already sold out if Nevermore was still on the bill. I honestly believe that it would have sold out rather quickly had they not dropped out.

Tungarknivor said:

I think you're misinterpreting people's ticket-sales analysis as them being bummed out. Obviously there are going to be people who like Jorn more than Nevermore. And I am sure there will be people who aren't much into Jorn right now, who are going to wind up enjoying their performance a lot. But if they're blown away *after* having seen Jorn's performance, Jorn's presence at the fest obviously could not have been a reason for them to have purchased a ticket beforehand. From an objective standpoint, regardless of which band you like more, Nevermore is clearly a larger draw. But this current situation is actually rather indicative of the status of the fest within this scene, considering that it is going to sell out even with such an unusual headliner.

edgeofthorns said:
Emerald Sword, I don't believe the post was intended to insult Glenn and his crew. This person was expressing their opinion in what I thought was a respectful way.
I know. That's cool. That's why I wasn't nasty or hurling insults. I just think sometimes these discussions on sellouts or not are all moot points.

edgeofthorns said:
Magius, I'm not sure how to respond, because I'm not sure how to take your comments? Clear me up man. By the way, I'm not intending on slamming or insulting anyone if that's the way you took my comment.

Yes, I did catch Angrarules' little comment about Americans, but I've learned to let stupid shit like that slide in the age that we're in.......ooops, I guess I didn't did I? :) If I got bent out of shape every time I heard a person slam Americans I wouldn't be able to listen to music, watch movies or tv, or even read anything! :)

We're cool. My post wasn't directed at to you. It irritated me that anyone would call another a poster "a Troll" for stating something obvious to me and others when I first read it. Your post supported the "Troll's" statement and was agreed with by the one labeling him a Troll which was shall we say... inconsistant.
In irritation I pointed it out, but by the time I got arround to posting my thought the issue had been resolved. The whole thing is a non-issue now.:cool:

I keep reading that its a weak lineup. WTF!? I think its very well rounded, with two superb headliners. The way I see it? 30 less of you to stand in front of me in the line for the bathroom.

metalsped said:
I keep reading that its a weak lineup. WTF!? I think its very well rounded, with two superb headliners. quote]

I agree...with the addition of Jorn...who is argueably one of, if not the strongest vocalists in the scene today. Sure...there are alot of fans of Neveragain, but that band is nothing special. Can see them at almost anytime here in the states. Jorn on the otherhand...

Quick Reply:

There was enough on the bill this year for me to want to come to ProgPower. I am quite interested in Evergrey, Thunderstone, Vision Divine and Pyramaze, as well as Jorn (I friggan love Masterplan!). It was enough to make the trip out to Atlanta, plus it is alway fun to discover new acts in the process (for example, I've never heard of Wastefall or Savage Circus, but from what I've heard of thier material, it has definitly got me intriqued and looking forward to just see what they truly got.)

Anyway, I got to see Nevermore in the end at Jaxx (along with Evergrey) just this past May. I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of Nevermore, but I'll also admit that it was a pretty kick-ass show. In the end, given the choice, I'd actually prefer seeing Jorn instead of Nevermore anyway, so it actually worked out good (especially since I've now already seen Nevermore and not ever seen Jorn or any of the bands he was in).

Yes, there may not be something like Stratovarius, Angra, and Therion on the bill like last year (probably the most "star-studded" line up that I've seen from looking at the history of ProgPower), but there is definitly enough to make it worth it to me.

Tungarknivor said:
Thanks dude. Jorn is gonna make PP 06 something special :) I own 15 albums Jorn is on and the dude is the most talented singer/songwriter of today.

*edit- ONE of the most talented today and thanks to Glenn, PP and it's wonderful patrons 5 of my current top 10 I heard from you all!:headbang: :headbang:
Thank You Thank You Thank You:kickass: :kickass:

now can we get a TRUE ProgPower West Fest?!? as we say in Hollywood, let's do lunch, Glenn!:cool:

Sumeet said:
If Nevermore were still on the bill, it would almost certainly have sold out by now. Nevermore is more well-known than Jorn, and only die-hard fans are going to be truly stoked about the idea of Jorn playing stuff from his entire career. A casual fan isn't familiar with most of the bands Jorn has been in, whereas a casual underground metal fan may very well be familiar with Nevermore.

Also, in terms of Evergrey being the other headliner... they are certainly now at the status to be headlining this fest, but a big part of the reason they are bigger in the US now is *because of* ProgPower. So as opposed to other headliners in other years who gained most of their notoriety through other means, a lot of the people who would come to ProgPower for Evergrey, are the people who would have come to ProgPower anyway, rather than additional new people.

All that said... being at this point and having less than 30 tickets remaining, it's hard to imagine that it won't be sold out by the time of the show, which in terms of Ticketmaster, is really all that matters, since the promoter probably doesn't get paid on those sales until later anyway.

You know, one minute it the core fans, the next it's the casual fan. Since Nevermore was announced, this turned into a Power Metal forum, and Prog fans were pissed. Then Nevermore canceled, and the Power fans were pissed. Now Evergrey is only popular because they played PP twice. It's all a fuckin' joke! Evergrey is the only reason I bought tickets this year. And I bought them after Neverfuckheads canceled! I started coming to this event because it featured "good fuckin' music" which is rare in the US. And if Jorn hadn't been added, there may be 200-300 tickets left.:mad:

I feel somewhat better, if not completely.:)