Recent CD Purchases?

Manticora - Safe

Yes I just ordered this album about a few minutes ago as of this post. I'm only a few years late, but I decided I wanted to Manticomplete my Manticollection of their albums after much deliberation. :popcorn:

The production really confused me though. Sounds like I'm holding cups against both of my ears, it sounds very umm... "muffled?" But having said that, I don't by any means think it's a piece of Manticrap. I just hope they bring back the atmosphere and (more) Mantikeyboards on their next album.

:D:D

Update: It arrived. Kicks ass - 14 minutes seems like 3 minutes. Not a single dud track on the album. That is all. :)

So after getting Outworld, a small ad sheet in the booklet showed another band the label 'Rebel Tide' was advertising, which after seeing the songs explains the name. Looks like it's owned (or co-owned) by Bobby Williamson... So I checked a few songs out for "Eumeria - Rebel Mind," and decided to order that CD a few days later. So I'm waiting for that one to arrive in about a few weeks, hopefully less. :yell:

I don't get why 'Outworld' is seen as the unquestionable epitome of perfection in the eyes of so many. It is a high quality album, don't get me wrong - I do enjoy it. Kelly Carpenter can really wail, but maybe a little too much, a few times I think he overdoes it. I don't care for solos or instrumentals (except for Manticora's which do have some appeal to me that I can't explain beyond "but hey, they're fun!" :D), so maybe that's the big piece of the pie for the album that I'm missing.

'War Cry,' and 'I, Thanatos' do kick serious ass though so I'll gladly give those songs their rightful credits.

For Christmas I got the following CDs:
  • Devin Townsend - Addicted
    Not bad, should grow on me over time... But seriously; "Ih-Ah!"? What's worse is that he actually sings that err... word repeatedly in the song too! The equivalent of this track--to me--would be Stratovarius' "030366". UPDATE: This hasn't grown on me and in my opinion, is--by far--the most unlaughably awful piece of shit Devin's ever regurgitated. Don't fucking ever make an album like this again! And come on!! "Bend it like Bender?!" holy FUCK!! And this is AFTER he sobered up and stopped smoking weed?.....
So I brought it on myself. Least it wasn't my money that was spent. :kickass:

I must say that the album is not his best, but Numbered, and the last 3 songs on the album are unbelievable. Maybe give it another chance?

I must say that the album is not his best, but Numbered, and the last 3 songs on the album are unbelievable. Maybe give it another chance?

It took a few dozen listens before I reached that point. Unfortunately, my opinion still stands of it being one of the absolute worst albums Devin's ever created, and it's the album that made me far less of a fan of his ever since.

Moving on:

So I bought DragonForce - Maximum Overload (nice to see they went back to their hyperbolic album titles). Aaaand... I dunno, I just can't really get into it. "The Game" is a great song, "Three Hammers" is also great, "Symphony of the Night" is a timeless masterpiece, but I'm not as into the song on this album paying tribute to it. :D

The main problem is Jens Bogren's production. It sounds a little too cramped/stuffy/suffocated etc. for this album. It's definitely not doing any favours for Marc's vocals either. Jens' mixing sounded great for Devin Townsend (Deconstruction), Soilwork, and Vicinity to name a few. But not for DragonForce or especially Symphony X.

Not necessarily saying his production sucks (I'm not looking to get shit on by Amon Amarth or Opeth fans here), nor that it's the only problem with the album. But I don't think DF made a good choice going with him considering their production was fine the way it was before, and I'm not a huge fan of theirs to begin with. :(

*Stabs himself with a burning pitchfork to save those who disagree with him the trouble... Well that and just thinking of "Addicted" made me wanna do it anyway*

Two-ish days ago, I got the Platens - Out of the World CD. I have their first album, which came out 10(!) years ago which I enjoyed, but I think this one takes it to a better level. Also it looks like Dario Grillo got a band together for this one.

This album is fucking great! I urge anyone here who likes AOR--or in this case, AOR with a good dose of melodic metal touches and lots of rich details in the songs--to give this album a listen and purchase a few dozen copies. :D

Here's "Time Will Tell" on SoundCloud. :kickass:

I did not buy much recently, only the SERIOUS BLACK debut (some killer songs with Urban breed on vocals and Thomen Stauch of Blind Guardian on drums) and two FIREWIND albums (Between Heaven And Hell and Premonition), also some pretty cool stuff on there...

I bought Arena - The Unquiet Sky from the Verglas website in March and it arrived a few who-gives-two-shits ago. It was a total blind purchase based on "The Seventh Degree of Separation" being decent enough, sadly I think this was disappointing, almost completely unmemorable and boring as hell.

On the other hand, "I Will Build You a Rome" from the new Cain's Offering - Stormcrow album sounds kickass as fuck ...if you don't mind the somewhat cheesy lyrics. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VECI3keYKug

I bought Arena - The Unquiet Sky from the Verglas website in March and it arrived a few who-gives-two-shits ago. It was a total blind purchase based on "The Seventh Degree of Separation" being decent enough, sadly I think this was disappointing, almost completely unmemorable and boring as hell.

On the other hand, "I Will Build You a Rome" from the new Cain's Offering - Stormcrow album sounds kickass as fuck ...if you don't mind the somewhat cheesy lyrics. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VECI3keYKug

Just checked out both... only one song of Arena though, the title track. That song at least is ok (nice bass), but nothing special or - as you say - memorable.

"I Will Build You a Rome" features way too much double-bass for my liking, just like I recall Stratovarious Visions... haven't heard this album in ages but I would like that one much more with some variety on the drums.

"I Will Build You a Rome" features way too much double-bass for my liking, just like I recall Stratovarious Visions... haven't heard this album in ages but I would like that one much more with some variety on the drums.

I see your point. It doesn't really phase me, I've grown used to that over the ages of listening to power metal bands. I think the only album that drew by far the most attention to the double bass was Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes. Sounded like someone firing off a taser into the mic. Plus I would listen to it a lot while wearing headphones... :erk:

Just pre-ordered BOREALIS - PURGATORY from AFM Records' shop. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a limited edition or a digipak, which will of course severely affect my enjoyment of the album itself. :D Europe gets it more than a month before NA anyway, and I wasn't having that.