Recent CD Purchases?

Manticora - Roots of Eternity

I've had "8 Deadly Sins" for quite a while but gave it little attention... Thankfully I decided it was worth another few shots and that it's a great fucking album. So then I said to myself; "Self? Why not check out their other releases?!" "Good idea, self! You genius fucker, you!" I gave myself a high-five and a blowjob, and figured I'd start with their first album then check out more of their music from there. So "Roots..." is pretty damn good of course, their only non-concept album as far as I know.

I'd recommend them anyday. :kickass:

Edit: Now if only they'd change that shitty logo. :D

I had to look over this post again as my view of this album has changed...

Labyrinth - Return (to Heaven... yeah right) Denied Pt. 2 came today so I gave it a spin. It's the limited Japanese edition, and cost me $47 in Canuck bucks. :err:

...But it's a solid piece of shit obviously they wanted to recapture the first album's feel but... failed! Where's the worthy "Lady Lost in Time" and "Thunder" follow-up? Actually... where's anything remotely entertaining? The title track is atrocious also.

The cover of "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget" is ok. I haven't heard the original but I like the vocal tracking on this one more than any other song on the album. I wish they'd have done this more frequently with the other songs.

By the way, someone here gave the album a 3/10, and a few of the band members practically jumped him for it. :lol: Probably cause Thorsen's a pansy who can't take criticism.

Also, I wish more of the replies were in English. Google translator can only decipher so much after all. :D

Edit: I'm not saying the album is good. In fact it's the most monotonous piece of shit released this year. For those who want to buy it, prepare to be bored and feel robbed. If it weren't for the cover song, this CD would just be a very expensive coaster that flips off its predecessor. As such, take the "Return to Heaven Denied Pt. II" out of the title and pretend it's just "A Midnight Autumn's Dream", or rather "A Midnight Autumn's Nightmare."

Fuck Labyrinth.

Picked up Eminem: Recovery

Seriously killer release, his best since Marshal mathers EP

Nice to see some variety. Any particularily hilarious songs on there? That's the only appeal Eminem's music really offered me. :D

I thought about giving LB's "Gold Cobra" album a chance... If it ever gets fucking released lol.

Its not really funny, more like extremely random, and VERY impressive. His lyrics are dynamic, introspective, though still a bit whiny, extremely well delivered. It is also his most musical album ever.

Gold Cobra has huge promise, the one song released so far is KILLER, best stuff since Chocolate Starfish

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had that song in my iTunes playlist for some time now. It's rather addicting. :D

...But damn, I really have to avoid the comments section for uploads like this one. :err:

Yeah I'm just not seeing what high such morons get from arguing endlessly, I'm sure there's been more than one meet-up situation involving a murder that simply started out from someone saying "hahahaha ur gay1! you fagett!!!!!" Which reminds me, I don't know what kind of reception Fred will get on stage when he takes this album on the road - but regardless if it turns out great or bad, I'm almost fearing for him.

Anyhoo, I just ordered Soilwork - The Panic Broadcast from Laser's Edge (nice site make-over too!), so that should arrive next week.

Unfortunate, sir. Right now I'm just watching the bonus DVD. I love the package it came in; a nice glossy case which more than certainly won't fit in my CD rack but what can ya do. :err:

Ok well, I've listened to it once and based off of that, nothing too surprising really. I like the atmosphere the keys add to some of the songs... Umm *scritch scritch*... well, it's not a "fuck you for buying this record, you should have burned it, sucker!! " release like "A Twist in the Myth" or "Paradise Lost" were, but it's not horrible in my opinion. And at least it's heavy as fuck though :)

The new Soilwork is OK. It is definately one of those albums that angers you on first listen mainly due to certain preconceived expectations; however, upon a more open minded listen after the first its got some good qualities.

Its definately not as good as something like Natural Born Chaos, but its most redeeming factor is probably the incredibly catchy choruses that really stick in your head throughout the day. The biggest flaw of the album besides the "hardcore-ish"/yelling style of vocals that are heavily present would be the use of the same song structure for pretty much every track.

Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, chorus

Its like they knew most of the verses were uninspired and that the strong points would be their insanely catchy choruses a chance to show off Wichers' guitar skills upon his return to the band. I think this album is a decent start to getting back on the right path with some pretty technical guitar playing; however, these things tend to make it lack a real punch. I also noticed the very minimal use of keys as well, with the choruses having just a tiny bit of atmosphere coming from them, but being mostly drowned out by melancholic guitar playing.

The two best songs in my own opinion are hands down "Two Lives Worth of Reckoning" (sounds very similar to something from my fav SW album NBC), and "Let This River Flow" (probably one of the more eclectic/versatile tracks on the album). Other standouts to me were "The Thrill", "The Akuma Afterglow", and "Enter Dog of Pavlov".

I didn't mean to pretty much write a review but this album has been on my mind a few days now and the mention of it here got me going... Long story short is the choruses are great but most of the verses sound uninspired and are full of that hardcore style of yelling vocals instead of death growls for the most part.

So Borealis - World of Silence, arrived today. Can these guys ever stomp! I was apprehensive of when the CD would arrive as I ordered it from their PayPal (linked to from their website), and received no feedback or automated mail - save for the PayPal one naturally. The price could be a little more reasonable but I'm happy to show support for these fellow Canucks. :D Also, they weren't on a record label and it was self-released but also; it's a very fucking great album! :kickass:

For those who like uhh... Hmm it's hard to say which bands these guys sound like, the least furthest likely comparison would be Vanishing Point though.

BGCDPT02.JPG

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (3 Disc 20th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition Triple Gatefold)

Disc 1 - Cowboys From Hell (Remixed/Remastered)
Cowboys From Hell
Primal Concrete Sledge
Psycho Holiday
Heresy
Cemetery Gates
Domination
Shattered
Clash With Reality
Medicine Man
Message In Blood
The Sleep
The Art of Shredding

Disc 2 - Live
Part 1 - Foundations Forum (1990)
Domination
Psycho Holiday
The Art of Shredding
Cowboys From Hell
Cemetery Gates
Primal Concrete Sledge
Heresy

Part 2 - Alive and Hostile E.P.
Domination
Primal Concrete Sledge
Cowboys From Hell
Heresy
Psycho Holiday

Disc 3 - Cowboys From Hell Demo Recordings
The Will To Survive (Previously Unreleased)
Shattered
Cowboys From Hell
Heresy
Cemetery Gates
Psycho Holiday
Medicine Man
Message In Blood
Domination
The Sleep
The Art of Shredding

Fucking METAL! November will see the release of an Ultimate Pantera Boxset and moving into the future we will get deluxe anniversary editions of all the albums after CFH (source: Rex Brown)

So Borealis - World of Silence, arrived today. Can these guys ever stomp! I was apprehensive of when the CD would arrive as I ordered it from their PayPal (linked to from their website), and received no feedback or automated mail - save for the PayPal one naturally. The price could be a little more reasonable but I'm happy to show support for these fellow Canucks. :D Also, they weren't on a record label and it was self-released but also; it's a very fucking great album! :kickass:

For those who like uhh... Hmm it's hard to say which bands these guys sound like, the least furthest likely comparison would be Vanishing Point though.

I got that album last year- saw them open up for Pagan's Mind and Stratovarious, twas very good show. They were by far the best opening act that night. Cool guys too. I'd say Vanishing Point is a pretty good band to compare them. They started off with a female vocalist and were kind of Nightwish-ish, so I guess a male fronted band that's like Nightwish but is more progressive might be the best way to describe them? Or not....

So today, I was waiting on Ghost Machinery's - Out for Blood, when instead, I found Raunchy's - A Discord Electric chilling in the mail instead. A pleasant surprise, especially considering I ordered this from Amazon and the estimated delivery date was next Monday.

Sadly my patience couldn't bear the wait before recieving said album (least I still bought it though. Woohaw!), hence there was no surprise factor.

It's difficult to categorize Raunchy--for those who do so--but that doesn't matter as long as they kick ass and spank pussy, which they do. As they fuse electric, metal, pop and even blues (the latter to a small degree in one song), I'd somewhat consider them not too far from Faith No More. Sure, there's no Mike Patton there but Kasper's venomous as fuck bellowing and Jeppe Christensen's melodic clean singing can sure as shit hold their own.

One negative note I have to make is that nothing on this album really matches "Warriors" from their previous album.

In closing - All hail death electro synth pop futuristic hybrid discocore romance metal! :D