Recent CD Purchases?

King Diamond - The Puppet Master

After reading some raving reviews my expectations about that album were quite high... and I was not disappointed... far from it, I believe it's his best album! Not so many high registers anymore, catchy songs, great solos, and some female vocals that add some depth, emotion and atmosphere... and not to overlook: a really amazing story, without a doubt his best and also most cruel one!

Thumbs up! :kickass:

A day or so short of a week ago, my Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque CD came, and yesterday my order for Keldian - Journey of Souls arrived. So I'd say those are recent enough.

Thanks to hearing/watching Stratovarius' "Deep Unknown" music video, that's a good bet for a purchase also. I didn't think hugely of this song at first, now it's addictive! Much heavier yet melodic style... Hell I would even say they don't sound drastically different from our Pyrafriends now.

I just listened to "Deep Unknown", and while it isn't dissapointing at all, that's only because my expectations were very low. In fact, instrumentally it's a very good song, which is pretty surprising considering Tolkki didn't write it, but all the vocals were crap.
The verses are horrible, choruses lack any punch, and Kotipelto just sounds aweful here, as he often does (although sometimes he can sound amazing). Stratovarius were never consistant with their songs. They have their jewels, but they have a lot of crap too.

Kotipelto will never grace my list of favourite singers, but I do at least appreciate how he doesn't use his higher vocals much in the song. :D

I'm glad Tolkki's out too. His songs were just getting ridiculously corny. I checked out the new RR album and... :err: :puke: :guh: :yuk:

Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa (digipak)

only $9 at lasercd.com, damn cheap!

Haha, yeah, really cheap! But a good choice indeed! :kickass:

The whole album is amazing, especially Urban is outstanding - as always... To me, the first five songs are the best ones, but Nothing At All and Plague Doctor are catching up... So 7 masterpieces and 3 good/great songs!

I bought Opeth - Watershed this week. A hell of an album! I don't really know why I am that fascinated because after several spins I still cannot hum a melody along, nor do I know which song is playing when listening to the whole album at once. So many changes, different moods, growls, clean vocals, acousitc guitars, double-bass, whatever... But still I enjoy every second, maybe I consider it as a soundtrack to something... well, however, it's really great stuff very well played!

Some say they have some similarities with Dream Theater, I couldn't find any yet - except that both bands play metal. :lol: I think I'll prefer Opeth, James LaBrie somehow doesn't do it for me, though the music of DT mostly is great.

Can't stand that album myself, and for precisely the reasons you just mentioned. I felt it was entirely unmemorable, with virtually no hooks, nothing to grab onto or differentiate each song from the other. I huge disappointment considering my undying love for that band and EVERYTHING that came before.

I just purchased The Project Hate - Cybersonic Superchrist. I've heard the album a million times, LOVE it, so intense and EVIL. Can't recommend the band enough if you like a fusion of many types of metal (Industrial, death, black, SATAN). Just had to buy it.

I was a bit disappointed with Tabula Rasa at first, but it's been growing on me a lot. Bloodbound definitely evolved their sound this time around...I still miss the Nosferatu style though, that was a brilliant debut. As for Opeth's Watershed, I agree with Thorns, I just couldn't get into it.

Hm, you guys made me curious about the previous releases of Opeth. I really like Watershed, but I just listened to Ghost of Perdition and The Grand Conjuration. To say the least, I was blown away! :)

More brutal and more growls, but also a lot more memorable - though still very "longwinded" and complex! If the other old songs are that great as well, I think I will buy every album some time!

EDIT: I just noticed that on Ghost Reveries 4 out of 8 songs clock in at more than 10 minutes, wow!

At the moment I'm listening to Tony Carey (This Perfect Place) and Magnum (How Far Jerusalem) for a change - not brutal at all, but I like the hooks and melodies there! :)

I was a bit disappointed with Tabula Rasa at first, but it's been growing on me a lot. Bloodbound definitely evolved their sound this time around...I still miss the Nosferatu style though, that was a brilliant debut. As for Opeth's Watershed, I agree with Thorns, I just couldn't get into it.

Check out Damnation... all soft, clean vocals, the band has been known for the occasional soft song, but this is an entire album of it, and to say the least, it is a masterpiece. Get it.

Sunstorm - House of Dreams

It finally arrived today and I'm on my first spin--of many to come--of this Joe Lynn Turner gem. :D

Highly recommended for fellow AOR fans.

Check out Damnation... all soft, clean vocals, the band has been known for the occasional soft song, but this is an entire album of it, and to say the least, it is a masterpiece. Get it.

Well, I also checked out Damnation, the first four songs by now! I will get that album too, those four songs are amazing... Opeth seem to have a sense for great melodies! Listening to Windowpane over and over again, such a great groove and melody, the switch form 3/4 to 4/4... boah, simply a stunning song!

Opeth and Dream Theater are touring Europe together in a couple of months...it's a kind of prog festival organised by Dream Theater. Opeth, Bigelf and Unexpect are "guests"...i think you'll get your money's worth :)