Recommend a passive 7 string pickup for tight rhythms?

cmon guys don't fight ;)

anyway I have said the jb is pretty sharp because usually the lesser the output, the minor the low end, this is a general rule, and because of my experience with the 6 strings version (instead on the opposite side of the spectrum I consider, after having tried it, the invader muddy because of the output: is so high that the lows are untamable, therefore to me it sounds muddy).
The d-activator instead lasted very little on my guitar, there was something odd going on in the midrange, like you had to tweak a lot with the eq to make it sound properly.
My favourite one is the 85 just because of its eq curve: when I record it, I almost don't have to eq it during mixing, and this for me is the most important thing: the right tone is all already there (but is active, so it's not what you're looking for).
Probably the nazgul at this point could be a good choice, if you don't want to pay for a bareknuckle (which costs twice as much).

Hey guys, so what I'm looking for is a tight rhythm tone with emg81-ish sharp attack on the palm mutes. So far I've tried duncan JB, dimarzio crunchlab and emg707 but they all sounded pretty muddy for my liking. The emg707 is kinda ok but still not quite what I'm after.

anyway did you check the emg 81-7?
I know it's active but is an 81 in a 7 string format
Or if you want some sort of hybrid (two configurations: active / passive)

http://www.fishman.com/products/view/fluence-modern-humbucker-7-string-alnico

anyway did you check the emg 81-7?
I know it's active but is an 81 in a 7 string format
Or if you want some sort of hybrid (two configurations: active / passive)

http://www.fishman.com/products/view/fluence-modern-humbucker-7-string-alnico

Yes, emg 81-7 would probably be the ideal choice but I need a replacement for the passive I have right know. I have another guitar with an emg707, maybe I will consider installing one in that eventually.

I was basically aiming mostly on duncan and dimarzio because I want to trade the ones I have. New brands/models or expensive are not likely to be available for trade.

What didn't you like about the stock pick-ups? Because my DC747 sounds anything but muddy. It's very bright with a modern snarl.

If you try matching the pickup to the woodtype, remember it's a neck through construction, so neck-wood has more influence on the tone then the bodywood. I guess trading your guitar for another one that sounds more like you want probably isn't an option since your profile pic shows you're a lefty. Otherwise it actually might be cheaper and easier then retrofitting the carvin with an aftermarket pickup (since carvin pickups are smaller, so you need to do some routing and stuff).

What didn't you like about the stock pick-ups? Because my DC747 sounds anything but muddy. It's very bright with a modern snarl.

If you try matching the pickup to the woodtype, remember it's a neck through construction, so neck-wood has more influence on the tone then the bodywood. I guess trading your guitar for another one that sounds more like you want probably isn't an option since your profile pic shows you're a lefty. Otherwise it actually might be cheaper and easier then retrofitting the carvin with an aftermarket pickup (since carvin pickups are smaller, so you need to do some routing and stuff).

To be honest, I didn't give the stock pickups much of fair try, I replaced them after a few days (I'd bought different pickups before I got the guitar), but I don't remember being impressed by them. The bridge was the c26t model, is that what you have too?

I already had the guitar pickup cavities routed for aftermarket pickups, I did mention that I already tried the crunchlab and the JB.

Last edited: