Recommend Anything

Baroque

Oct 16, 2012
Southern California
It looks like I'm snowed in alone at my cabin for 2-3 days. Feel free to recommend me any music you think I'd like or that you like a lot. I'll listen to whatever you post. I'm open minded to any genre at all.

Reactions: CiG
Watching some youtube videos of her performing in 1971. Damn, she's an incredible musician. Not technical but masterfully soulful, and the chord changes are subtly complex.

If you're into what your username suggests then I would recommend this recording of Albicastro's concerti. He's a pretty underground guy but I got this recommended from some czech classical music experts on a different forum and I have to say it is indeed tasty if you're into this kind of stuff.

MI0001175092.jpg

I am indeed a huge fan of Baroque music. It's all I listened to for a couple years of my life. I attend a Bach festival every year. Although I haven't given it nearly enough attention lately, and I haven't heard of this particular composer. Thank you for this! Sounds wonderful so far. I'd like to recommend Pietro Locatelli in return if you're not already familiar with him.

mcjDnmcqm7g0MdIK7q1DodQ.jpg

^ I've sure heard Locatelli before but I will check out more of his stuff if he's your favorite. I myself listen to great amounts of Bach lately. He's already surpassed everybody else in my last.fm charts. It takes a while to get to know all the piano stuff alone and to find your own favorite interprets. Everybody talks about Gould obviously, and I really like him, especially his english suites, but on harpsichord I like Keith Jarrett for instance, who has a shitload of his own jazzy stuff that I can't get into for some reason, but his harpsichord recordings are great. And then there's András Schiff, I love all his stuff.

EDIT: Oh and Gould's Goldberg Variations ofc.

I wouldn't say Locatelli is my favorite (obv Bach) but he's probably the most obscure in my top 5. Not everything by him is great, but at his best he's amazing. Yeah I own a few cds of Gould playing Bach including Goldberg, Art of the Fugue, Musical Offering and such. I like Andras Schiff too. Mostly I focus more on the classical guitar side of Bach personally, for example I listen to lots of Segovia and John Williams. And the festival is usually very good about using period instruments which is a big reason why i keep attending it. It's hard to find that stuff. I haven't heard Keith Jarrett's recordings, will check those out next.

Great Finnish band. One of the few melo death bands that I like. They put on a great show.

Grungey hard rock from Norway that I really like. Not normally something I'd like but I do.

Excellent B-movie mystery/horror style funk tunes. Very 'city' sounding. If you dig it try out the whole album.

Finally got around to listening to all of these, thanks! A lot of interesting stuff that is definitely off the beaten path for me.

What is that last video Carpe? The link has broken unfortunately

Shit. Summertime Killer by Calibro 35, hope they didn't take it all off the YouTube's.