Recommend me your favorite album

NickL

I'm not here.
Jan 31, 2007
Illinois
Inspired by the "recommend me some music" thread...

I'm looking for some rather obscure stuff, but feel free to recommend me anything if it's your favorite. I'm a fan of concept albums in particular, and I tend to lean toward the more experimental side of things. I figure this is a good way to find some top notch music and learn a bit about everyone in the process.

My personal favorite is Radiohead's Kid A. Jonny greenwood performing synth improv over Paul Lansky samples= win.

Wintersun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jari Maenpaa is a GOD!!!!!!

p.s. Wintersun is the name of the band and the album.

ooo i keep meaning to check that out!

umm well im sure you are aware of them, but i guess sikth's 1st album would be my fav

also not at all rock or metal, but venetian snares album detrimentalist is beyond amazing

crossfades self titled album has taught me a lot about mixing. It has fat sounding drums, with a perfect snare IMO. the vocals have been doubled, panned, harmonized, tuned and delayed to perfection. The guitars are amazing in your face rock guitars. Lots of different tones as well. Bass is fucking stellar, and sits in the mix perfect. just an awesome all around album in terms of songs and production. it was mixed by randy staub, so what do you expect!

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - "Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope"

Agoraphobic%20Nosebleedfrozencorpsestuffedwithdope_g.jpg

its hard to pick just one favourite album, but this one really stands out for me as an album i just keep coming back to over and over.
violent, maniacal grindcore with a drum machine and drop-z guitars. catchy as fuck and rediculously heavy. like a hurricane of sledge-hammers.

you'll probably hate the production though :)

Fellsilents album The Hidden Words. Its an aquired taste and not a concept, so I'm not sure you dig it but I do.

Joe

+2 on evergrey, inner circle, recreation day, in search of truth are great albums!

+1 on wintersun, such atmospheric and deep music. Jari is a genius

Moonsorrow - Suden Uni re-release - folk/pagan metal
Norther - Mirror of Madness - melodic death metal
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah, especially cd2 - ehh, symphonic arabic something...

opeth- my arms your hearse..

not that its their best, but it was my introduction to them.

it has a unique ambience to it..while still rockin.

I'm glad there's a lot of metal that I haven't heard being suggested! Its hard to find metal that I really enjoy nowadays. My tastes have changed quite a bit, though I will probably love Opeth, Nevermore, Gojira, Meshuggah, Metallica, Death, Tool and a handful of other metal groups for a long time to come. I will check out every one of these suggestions.

On a side note: I recently revisited Master of Puppets after about 2 years of negligence. Holy shit, its even better than I remember. :lol:

+10000 to Wintersun, the best IMO.

Kalisia (Cybion) is really worth checking out too if you have varied tastes, as is Skyfire (Spectral's my favourite) if you like melodic death metal.

Carcass - Heartwork

wish i could name something more obscure but this is one album that is awesome from beginning to end.