RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommend me something similar to Equilibrium, "Epic" but fun Viking metal basically, but avoid the obvious.

Does the thread sound fucking retarded? Indeed it does, but I don't know where i stand in the world of metal. I've pretty much only been introduced to the popularized form of metal and I want to hear more. I don't even know what GENRES of metal i like, nor do I know which bands belong to which genre. I'm going to list some bands that I like, and I'd like for anyone to list some bands you think I'd like based on MY list and what genre I've been accustomed to listening to. Bash me for my tastes if you insist...

lamb of god, killswitch engage, nevermore, system of a down(fuck you), disturbed(fuck you again), godsmack(fuck you once more), ill nino, hatebreed, atreyu, bleeding through, shadows fall, arch enemy, chimaira, slayer, pantera, spineshank, cradle of filth, children of bodom, as i lay dying, etc...

This is all i know. Broaden my horizens...

Yes, it does. Please, please, stop listening to 75% of those.

nevermore, shadows fall, arch enemy, slayer, children of bodom...

The rest are awful non-metal.

lamb of god
Bad
killswitch engage
Bad
nevermore
Good
system of a down
Bad
disturbed
Bad
Bad
bad
hatebreed
BAD
Never Heard Em
bleeding through
Sort Of Bad
shadows fall
I really like these guys
arch enemy
Pretty good
Bad
Used to be good
Good
spineshank
Bad
cradle of filth
I like em
children of bodom
Don't ask me
as i lay dying
Bad

Try Symphony X, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, etc. there's a ton more I bet someone knows.

well i'm not just gonna STOP liking those i already like, but thanks for the recommendations. I guess i fall into the category of the little gay metalhead wannabes?

definately try symphony x, and try and find some flotsam and jetsam, if not get anthrax like among the living, they are an awesome thrash metal band

Some good bands to start with:

-Old In Flames (pre 2000)
-At the Gates
-Dark Tranquillity
-Nightrage
-Arsis
-Persuader
-Death
-Hypocrisy
-Opeth
-Into Eternity
-Dimmu Borgir

I'm sure we can all help you out with getting into "more Metal" music if you like all of those bands.

I started with Disturbed, then went to Slayer, moved to Hypocrisy then into even heavier death metal.

Heavier metal (Death, Black, etc.) I've found to be hard to get into, but it is very rewarding when you do get into it

true, especially when it comes to black metal. It took me 4 years to get into the genre, but now it has become my favorite style of metal.

liquor licker said:
lamb of god, killswitch engage, nevermore, system of a down(fuck you), disturbed(fuck you again), godsmack(fuck you once more), ill nino, hatebreed, atreyu, bleeding through, shadows fall, arch enemy, chimaira, slayer, pantera, spineshank, cradle of filth, children of bodom, as i lay dying, etc...

This is all i know. Broaden my horizens...

Well it seems to me that you're primarily into more commercial types of metal which most people who deem themselves to be 'true metalheads' will slag off to no end. But at the end of the day, all of the bands you mentioned there are still metal bands (regardless of whether they sold out or not).

System Of A Down, Disturbed, Godsmack and Spineshank I would classify as nu metal. These are the kinda bands that you find in Kerrang magazine and who tend to appear at festivals and stuff pretty regularly. If you don't already listen to them, I would recommend to you Slipknot and Mudvayne who also kinda fit into this category. You might also like Trivium, but I categorise them under 'in the trash'

I consider Pantera to pretty much be on a level of their own. As far as I'm concerned, they had a unique sound and feel to their music that no other band has thusfar been able to replicate. Although you might wanna check out Damageplan and The Black Label Society.

Unfortunately there aren't really any bands that I know of that sound anything like Children Of Bodom. People have compared Norther to them (and I suggest you check out Norther anyway because they are a truely awesome band) but I just don't see the comparison myself. A British speed/power metal band called Dragonforce have a similar style to them I guess (in the sense of lots of guitar solos particularly using classical scales, lots of keyboard stuff, weird effects on guitar harmonics, etc.)

Arch Enemy are another top band, and if it's their earlier stuff you're into (with the male vocalist - I can't stand the new girl!), I suggest you check out Death, Dark Tranquillity and Morbid Angel if you want some well written death metal.

Hey guys, I am fairly new here (and in the metal scene) and I was wondering if you guys could give me some good death and black metal bands. I already listen to stuff like Woods of Ypres, Agalloch, Corrupted and so on. Anyways just wondering if anyone could submit some awesome bands.

Some good death metal albums:

Martyr - Warp zone
Lykathea afalme - Elevenefris
Golem - Dreamweaver
Quo vadis - Defiant imagination
Arsis - A celebration of guilt
Saprogenic - The wet sound of flesh on concrete

Some good black metal albums:

Abigor - Nachthymnen
Epheles- La dernier pardon
Antaeus - Cut Your Flesh And Worship Satan
Weakling - Dead as dreams