Recommended doom metal albums?

I recently discovered a brilliant album I guess you will like if you're into My Dying Bride and Katatonia: the album 'Burning: A Wish' by LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE.

And of course, classics like Anathema's "Serenades" (preferably with the bonus EP 'Crestfallen', double-CD), Saturnus' "Paradise Belongs To You", Candlemass' "Nightfall" and "Ancient Tales" CDs, and of course October Tide, the almost-Katatonia band, and their two utterly brilliant albums "Rain Without End" and "Grey Dawn".

That's 'Ancient Dreams' by Candlemass, or possibly 'Tales of Creation'. (Not last 2 albums thought cos they are crap)

Also Morgion 'Solinari', Cryptal Darkness 'They Whispered you had risen' (very MDB, even had Martin Powell on violins), Novembers Doom.

MindMorgue.

The silent Enigma by Anathema. And the crestfallen ep, and pentecost III (I still prefer their later albums tho). Hehe, MDB's TLATEOTW? That what ur talking bout. I don't consider it doom, but its soo funny :) Its all the same (I like it!)

Celestial Season's early works might be a good starting point where you're at right now. Novembers Doom as well, I would think. Also try Left Hand Solution (less metal than the others I mentioned) and Avrigus. These are the ones that would be closest to what you've heard so far

If you want to wade into the *really* deep and desolate realms of Doom, I would suggest Evoken, Shape of Despair, and Skepticism. All three are absolutely incredible, especially Shape of Despair.

Originally posted by godisanathiest
The silent Enigma by Anathema. And the crestfallen ep, and pentecost III (I still prefer their later albums tho). Hehe, MDB's TLATEOTW? That what ur talking bout. I don't consider it doom, but its soo funny :) Its all the same (I like it!)

No, not that one - I can't remember what it's called, but I had it through the post this morning from Peaceville (courtesy of Mark). I'll check when I get back home (I'm currently taking refuge at a friend's house until I sober up - having a good mate who works in a bar is great, 'cos he's been giving me free drinks all night! *hic*).

Thanks everyone who's replied - I dare say I'll get round to checking out all of the bands mentioned so far. :) Keep going though!

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
No, not that one - I can't remember what it's called, but I had it through the post this morning from Peaceville (courtesy of Mark). I'll check when I get back home (I'm currently taking refuge at a friend's house until I sober up - having a good mate who works in a bar is great, 'cos he's been giving me free drinks all night! *hic*).
Thanks everyone who's replied - I dare say I'll get round to checking out all of the bands mentioned so far. :) Keep going though!

U lucky git :p 4 two reasons - Getting free cds and having sum1 give u free drinks! And having sum1's to stay at. I have no1's house I can stay at after going out, and can't get picked up by my parents either :bah:

Be sure to post a review of the new album :D

Originally posted by godisanathiest

U lucky git :p 4 two reasons - Getting free cds and having sum1 give u free drinks! And having sum1's to stay at. I have no1's house I can stay at after going out, and can't get picked up by my parents either :bah:

Be sure to post a review of the new album :D

It's called 'The Dreadful Hours' - it rules so far! The heavy bits still manage to sound both melancholy and sinister, while the mellow acoustic passages or interludes that mingle samples and choirs are genuinely haunting. I never got to listen to TLATEOTW, but this definitely sounds to me like MDB going back on track.

It's called 'The Dreadful Hours' - it rules so far! The heavy bits still manage to sound both melancholy and sinister, while the mellow acoustic passages or interludes that mingle samples and choirs are genuinely haunting. I never got to listen to TLATEOTW, but this definitely sounds to me like MDB going back on track.

Oh yeah, I've got the title track :D TLATEOTW is good actually, just not hugely original

I meant both those Candlemass-albums, really...Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation....

and I totally agree with Drexle about Celestial Season, at least their two first CDs, and the track "Above Azure Oceans"...that song is one of my all-time fave doom songs....

The new My Dying Bride is excellent, it's a modern version of 'Turn Loose the Swans', can't see anything wrong with that :D

° Evoken - "Quietus"
° Deinonychus - "Deinonychus"
° Shape of Despair - "Shades of..."
° Dolorian - "When all the Laughter has gone"
° Skepticism - "Lead and Aether"

Hey Gdc, where can I get my hands on that Dolorian album?

And Metalmaster, I've only heard maybe half of Celestial Season's early works and I'm looking to buy those too. Where can I order them?

Look, here is some good doom shit:

The Blood Divine "Mystica"
"Awaken"
Dark Millenium"Ashore the Celestial Burden"
Celestial Season"Forever Scarlet Passion"
"Solar Lovers"
Beyond Belief "Towards the diabolical Experiment"

Noone mentioned this but it's worthy to listen.

My mate Pete's gonna hate me - I've been using his broadband connection and Audiogalaxy account to download about five tracks by each of the artists mentioned in this post so I can check them out before buying any albums, and now I think there's something like sixty files being shunted through his cable connection at once! :)

My mate Pete's gonna hate me - I've been using his broadband connection and Audiogalaxy account to download about five tracks by each of the artists mentioned in this post so I can check them out before buying any albums, and now I think there's something like sixty files being shunted through his cable connection at once! :)

He's got a cable modem, he desreves it ;)

Some doom-metal albums I feel are essential:

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium (note that they abandoned doom later on for a more hardrock oriented approach)
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Winter - Into Darkness/Eternal Frost (Nuclear Blast sells them compiled on one CD now)
Solitude Aeternus - Through the Darkest Hour
Sleep - Volume One
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into the Peripheral

-Øystein
np: Destruction - The Antichrist