Recording Music At Home?

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
Can somebody give a simple for dummies explanation for how to record music at home. What would one need to record guitar and keyboards, and add drums and bass thru a computer program, and mix them and be able to edit parts of tracks.

I peeked into this video but it already looks confusing as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMBKNLpWJA

Why can't this stuff be made easy? How is one supposed to learn this? It's so underground.

Well, first of all you have to get a recording interface. This will allow you to record guitar or keyboard without distortion or audible sound quality loss. Something like a Presonus Audiobox, AVID Fast Track or Line6 Pod Studio should do the job.

Then you get a DAW, which is the software you will use to record, mix and master your songs. Most pros use Cubase or Pro Tools. However, a lot of other programs do the same thing. check out Reaper, it's free and you can do everything with it.

After that, if you want to hear drums and bass from a midi file, you have to get VST instruments, which basically are synthesizers. Most of the time though, they cost a lot. I use Superior Drummer for the drums and Komplete 7 for everything else, you can find them somewhere on the interwebs :p

You'll need either headphones or monitors, or ideally both...

And a microphone if you ever want to record vocals or acoustic instruments.

And all the cables to connect all of that together.

And if you have trouble learning how to work with all that stuff, google is your best friend.

m4_front.jpg

+
products_fireface_800_6b.jpg

+
cw_700x700_ProTools10Software.jpg

How are people supposed to know how to use those devices and those programmes? To make music you need to be a nerd.

How are people supposed to know how to use those devices and those programmes? To make music you need to be a nerd.

Are you kidding me?You do realise that according to this everybody with a profession/job is a nerd?

You can learn the basics if you read some books or ask google. But experience is the key.

Vast experience self-taught = nerd/geek.

Vast experience with outside lecturing = professional.

Vast experience while maintaining girlfriends = pro.

omfg just go and learn how 2 use dis sh!t bro
Anyways im really interested in some joonas lake music :D

That's what I'm trying to do!

Vast experience both self-taught and outside lecturing, while banishing all girlfriends and learn nothing = Joonas

If want a necro-sound, just plug a mic up to your computer and do everything through Sound Recorder. You would just have to put everything together using a DAW.

Oh lawd you're in for a treat.

To make it REALLY simple?

Get a Toneport/POD Studio/FastTrack, with this you can record bass, guitar and a microphone or two (depending on model).

For drums get EZDrummer/Addictive Drums/Superior Drummer, which is a VSTi (virtual instrument). Write drums in guitar pro and slap them into these fuckers.

For synths/orchestra/whatever, get a MIDI keyboard. Ezmode.

Get Reaper, use the trial version indefinitely.

Record your shit, pan guitars 100% L/R, throw everything else in the middle, cut mids like a motherfucker, slap on a limiter and limit the fuck out of the master bus then export to MP3 and you're done!

Oh and you'll also need some headphones or speakers, for you know... Sound.

Did you smoke something?!? Superior Drummer has it's name because.. it's superior. I have never seen any better virtual drums. Addictive drums is also pretty nice. There are shit loads of awesome recordings on youtube and when you visit Andy Sneap forum and listen to some of those songs from those pros, more than half of them sound better than any real drum

Well that was a pretty good guide my friend. And Joonas, there is no easy "learn in an hour" process. However, after acquiring the necessary things (most important the interface, if you want it easy a Toneport, it also incorporates an amp simulator, sound is not the greatest but will do and pretty good for the simplicity) it's pretty damn easy to start with. In about an evening or two of trying (and make no mistake, it's a process of trial and error, but can be a pretty entertaining and funny one, but the result is well worth it) you'll get a handle on the basics and then it's just evolve from there.

I hear so many device names here I don't understand, but I'll look into this when the right day comes. Of course if it gets too expensive I'll pass it, cos I don't even know if I can write good music, lol. It's just something that would be really interesting if I actually knew how to do it. I already know everything I ever came up with myself on the keys or guitar is very very dark and depressing and mysterious and heavy.

Line 6 Pod Studio UX1: 120€, will allow you to record guitars, bass and mic (maybe keys too, but never tried it), it's extremely easy to install and carries an amp simulator also extremely easy to install and use, so you can plug directly into the POD and use amps in the computer.

Reaper: download it, it's free (after a month it'll make you wait 5 seconds while it asks you to consider buying it each time you open it, but you can use it for free forever).

I assume you know Guitar Pro.

Now stop being a lazy ass and get recording, it's that easy.

I'll pass the mic to somebody else to illustrate you on VST drums, bass and keys since I haven't done it in ages.

Ok I'll look at this... pretty soon...

I have Pod 2, is that device for recording to computer also? I bought it years ago because I wanted crazy guitar effects, but I can't play music thru computer thru the same headphones, and I can't connect it to my amp... and it doesn't have any good metal guitar sound and it won't allow to use the sound of my RR24... so it sucks in everything. There's just one cool atmospheric sound I used with my old guitar just for fun back in the day.