Recording Music At Home?

The POD 2.0 isn't an interface like the toneport is, but you connect it with your PC via aux cable. And you can also get some pretty cool tones out of it. This one as an example is recorded with my POD 2.0 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/the sin trade_Abmischung.mp3
I ean you can't compare it with a real interface but... listen for yourself

Or if you want only rythm guitars http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/the sin trade rythm.mp3

and only leads

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/the sin trade lead.mp3

It'll basically make my RR24 useless. I could have any guitar if I record with that, (sound wise) cos it doesn't allow to use the guitar's own sound? I found no meaner sound from it at all, just cheaper sounds. There's that one atmospheric acoustic kind of sound, which I dig. Haven't tried it for a long time tho.

What the fuck are you talking about? An electric guitar's sound is dictated by it's wood and pickups, but ultimately is the signal coming out of the output hole and into whichever simulator, amp, preamp, interface or whatever it is you're plugging your guitar into, and wood, pickup, shape and all will still have an effect there, because your guitar's output hole doesn't care what you're using, it'll still send it the same signal, which will then be altered (distortion/delay/whatever is alteration) by whichever thing it's plugged into. No, your RR24 won't be useless, it'll sound better than a 50€ cheapass guitar. But a ton of it will still come from your hands and playing though.

Did you smoke something?!? Superior Drummer has it's name because.. it's superior. I have never seen any better virtual drums. Addictive drums is also pretty nice. There are shit loads of awesome recordings on youtube and when you visit Andy Sneap forum and listen to some of those songs from those pros, more than half of them sound better than any real drum

Yes but are you kidding me :lol:? Fuck the name, i could name my plugin @awesome drum s@ but it doesnt guatanee awesomeness. Which drums did you usw besides superior drummer? I'm a
big fan of the native instruments stuff (studio drummer , abbey road drummer) and I was talking about ezdrummer(worst shit ever) :p and "pros" (Wat is a pro? When are you are pro) can make even ezdrums sound good.
And I was talking about that stuff like "cut off mids" and "Pan your gits 100 % l/r". Learn to mix and don't stick to guidelines

I thought you were talking about those vst'S Ensi mentioned (because this is what you've written). And Superior Drummer DOES guarantee awesomeness - at least if you know how to use it.. ^^ I'm using addictice drums as well. Not a big drum collection but sounds also pretty good. Don't know about EZ drummer though... A pro is somebody who pretty much knows what to do to make something sound awesome.
But yes, this cut off mids and pan 100/100 thing is not really usefull and nothing general.

I thought you were talking about those vst'S Ensi mentioned (because this is what you've written). And Superior Drummer DOES guarantee awesomeness - at least if you know how to use it.. ^^ I'm using addictice drums as well. Not a big drum collection but sounds also pretty good. Don't know about EZ drummer though... A pro is somebody who pretty much knows what to do to make something sound awesome.
But yes, this cut off mids and pan 100/100 thing is not really usefull and nothing general.

well yeah that was a bit exaggerated, I just think Ezdrummer is crap. AD and SP are nice but I really dont get why those Native Instrument Drums are so underrated :/

(though I 'm more a fan of dry drum sounds)
anyway, recording real drums is more fun than using samples but those virtual drummer sound quite great these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's not underrated but just not as known as SD or AD. How big are the soundfiles for NI drums? I think AD is really small with around 1,5GB but SD is hugh as fuck with over 30GB

"7.4 GB library size, using KONTAKT 5 sample compression (over 17GB uncompressed!) & 6.4 GB library size, using the KONTAKT sample compression (15.6 GB uncompressed!)"

Can somebody give a simple for dummies explanation for how to record music at home. What would one need to record guitar and keyboards, and add drums and bass thru a computer program, and mix them and be able to edit parts of tracks.

I peeked into this video but it already looks confusing as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMBKNLpWJA

Why can't this stuff be made easy? How is one supposed to learn this? It's so underground.
First of all, the so called "items needed" in that video are just that of the author's personal preference. You don't necessarily need half of the stuff mentioned in that video. Actually, nobody can really even tell you the dumbed down A to Z for the perfect way of recording music at home because there is no golden god given way of doing it. It doesn't really matter how you proceed with the recordings as long as the end result pleases you.

You may want to think why you even want to start recording music at home if the whole subject feels underground and confusing to you, as you say. If you're really interested in it, then just start experimenting and learning by doing. That's about the best advice I could think of.

seriously are you guys fucking kidding me??? im a regular sneapster
i had been in this so called sound engineering line for around 7 year's now
still cant satisfy myself.. lmao
its not that easy.. and needs a lot of practice :|

Why are you using that skull flame thing as your logo, are you 50? And why is it stretched out of its original aspect ratio?

If you don't pan your rythm guitars 100/100 in metal you are kind of inbred. And you cut mids in a lot of things in metal because they are more often than not, frequencies you don't need that just clutter up the song. Becomes wrong to say just "mids" but in the mid-area.

Learning to record/mix properly is not something that happens in a day. You have to experiment, show others your result who know what they're doing, get it torn up and shat on, then do it again.