Recs For Self-Assured, Autobiographical Lyrics?

SouthernTrendkill

Super Normie
Aug 22, 2007
I'm still not sure if non-metal rec threads are supposed to go here or in the rac forum...

Not a typical request but I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards bands or artists whose lyrics are pretty much always about their life and their confidence. Self-assurance, self-awareness, autobiography kind of stuff. So basically people who talk about themselves all the time.

I can give you a couple of perfect examples: Pantera and Eminem. Pantera's lyrics are pretty much always full of self-assurance and Phil talking about his past. "All the money in the fucking world couldn't be me one ounce of faith in anything you're about," "I'm becoming more than a man, more than you ever were." Strength Beyond Strength is pretty much the definition of self-assurance. Eminem is pretty much the same way. He is ALWAYS talking about himself, even when he's just making random shit up. And he's always displaying his self-assurance with things like "fuck you ____" and "I'd have the whole world suck my dick with no condom on while I'm on the john."

That's what I'm looking for. It has to be stuff that is confident (rather than confessional, although having a bit of that stuff is okay)., It has to be stuff that is blatantly auto-biographical and features the singer as an active protagonist and/or a topic of dicussion. I also like when they have a point about themselves (as in, Phil's point is "I am the hardest fuckin' dude who will definetly mess you up" and Em's point is "I'm the best rapper ever and people just can't handle me") rather than straight story songs. It's okay if it's not necessarily stuff that really happened, just as long as they're pretending like it did, like how Eminem does it. It can't be just a bunch of regular-styled songs with no overt references to self even if the author wrote the song about specific real-life events, it has to be apparent from the song. Also it's a plus if they talk about drugs (in a positive light).

It can be ANY genre! That's the fun part. 'Cause if the lyrics really fit what I'm looking for then I think I'll like it.

Thanks VERY much to anyone who can score me some recs, since Pantera and Eminem are pretty much the only artists who I can think of who do this kind of material constantly. Most people have maybe one or two songs that kind of fit, but that's just not enough.

There's obviously a lot of hip-hop artists who like to big themselves up, but for me Jeru The Damaja is the top of the pile for these type of lyrics. Great flow and beats too.

Jens Lekman might also be worth a look, he plays acousticy folky indie pop, his songs are very uplifiting, and very often autobiographical. He expresses confidence in a much subtler way to the artists you mentioned, but it's just as effective.

Slipknot lol.
Kidding, but they do talk about themselves quite a bit.
Seriously though, I really don't know what I'd rec except hip-hop, cuz I usually hate these kind of lyrics.
Check out The Alchemist though, great rapper.