Rediscovering ICED EARTH

so i traded a CD for an original of Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider. is it good? what's their best?
I've never been a huge fan of the pre-Barlow period. But there are many who love that disc.

what's their best?
Honestly, it depends who you ask and what you prefer:

Burnt Offerings - their darkest disc
The Dark Saga - their thrashiest disc
Something Wicked This Way Comes - probably their best overall
Horror Show - four songs and a bit of filler, but those four songs are insanely good
The Glorious Burden - the 33 minute trilogy that closes the disc is as epic as anything Metal has ever produced

All four discs are somewhere between 9/10 and 10/10 discs.

Zod

won glorious burden 2CD set for $5

none of the later IE albums are good? from review sites, most say stop at glorious burden, with others saying stop at something wicked.

is days of purgatory worth grabbing?

is days of purgatory worth grabbing?

Just some brief musings here:

Days of Purgatory is outstanding and well worth grabbing (go for the 2 CD version if you can find it). Getting to hear Barlow sing the earlier material is worth the price alone.

For the other albums, my personal favorites are Burnt Offerings, Night of the Stormrider, Days of Purgatory (if it counts) and The Glorious Burden. I would include the self-titled debut, but the vocals are unfortunately less than adequate. This is what makes Days of Purgatory essential since it takes most of the songs from the first two albums and integrates Barlow's vocals.

All of the remaining albums are wholly inconsistent IMO with some spectacular songs as well as many generic tracks that don't have as much staying power as the first 4 releases:

-The Dark Saga is fairly consistent I suppose but on a lower level, and is far more simplistic (though thrasier as Zod alluded to) than the first 4 (though my UM screen name comes from the very cool song "The Hunter" and there is plenty of catchiness to be found, particularly on the anthemic title track). Some of the thrashier tracks like "Violate" and "Vengeance is Mine" work better live than on CD IMO.

-Something Wicked has the amazing trilogy at the end (which for a time ranked among my favorite songs ever), though nothing else on the album quite matches up after repeated listens over the years and I honestly feel there are lot of throwaway tunes here ("Burning Times" is always fun though, and slays live).

-Horror Show is worth owning for "Dracula" and "Wolf" alone, but I fail to hear anything essential in terms of songwriting on that album beyond those two. I will say though that Barlow absolutely shines on that album and is possibly his finest vocal performance with the band. It's a shame that, to me, the songwriting just doesn't cut it because Barlow was truly inspired here.

-The Glorius Burden (the first album with Tim Ripper on vocals) is actually my favorite IE album since Burnt Offerings. The Gettysburg trilogy is easily one of Jon Schaffer's finest moments (insanely epic and moving with just jaw dropping emotion) and some outstanding quick hitters like "Declaration Day", and "The Reckoning" among others. It's certainly not without flaw though. "When The Eagle Cries" is downright horrible, and some may be put off by the patriotic-like themes throughout, but just try to ignore it if it bothers you because there is plenty of quality to be found here.

-Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man aren't nearly as bad as most make them out to be IMO, but Jon really should have condensed the two albums into one as again, they are very uneven and drawn out. If you can weed out the best songs though, there is plenty of great material to be found (moreso on Framing than Crucible IMO).

-As a footnote, Alive in Athens is a fantastic live album as Jerry indicated if you're into those. (I'm not)

normally live albums are pretty worthless, but Alive in Athens has faster, heavier, better performed versions of the older (and much better imo) material. a few gems here and there (something wicked trilogy) in the mid-career, but his over-use of triplets and seemingly the same scale got stale and dumbed down after only a few albums. the vocals on the first 2 albums are pretty raw, but the riffs are far more interesting and fresh than the later albums when he got too confident in himself.

All of the remaining albums are wholly inconsistent IMO with some spectacular songs as well as many generic tracks that don't have as much staying power as the first 4 releases:
Interesting. I find their earlier works far more inconsistent.

-Something Wicked has the amazing trilogy at the end (which for a time ranked among my favorite songs ever), though nothing else on the album quite matches up after repeated listens over the years and I honestly feel there are lot of throwaway tunes here ("Burning Times" is always fun though, and slays live).
My Own Savior? Watching Over Me? Reaping Stone?

-Horror Show is worth owning for "Dracula" and "Wolf" alone, but I fail to hear anything essential in terms of songwriting on that album beyond those two.
With the exception of Ghost of Freedom, I love the whole disc. But I would say Damien and Phantom are both exceptional songs.

Zod

Interesting. I find their earlier works far more inconsistent.

I consider Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings close to "classic" status. Not a throwaway tune on either one for me.

General Zod said:
My Own Savior? Watching Over Me? Reaping Stone?

1. Yuck
2. Heart wrenching yet uplifting song that I have to be in the mood to hear.
3. Hit or miss. Another one I'm not always in the mood for.

General Zod said:
With the exception of Ghost of Freedom, I love the whole disc. But I would say Damien and Phantom are both exceptional songs.

It is indeed interesting how we have such different takes on different albums in their catalogue. I find the entire project to be dull and uninspired. Phantom of the Opera Ghost is ok I suppose but Damien absolutely bores me to tears.

I really like Glorious Burden. Waterloo is a great song. i love the inclusion of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in the Gettysburg trilogy.

a very impressive album

Nice. And if you enjoy Ripper's vocals with the band, I suggest acquiring Framing Armageddon as well. Most feel it's devoid of inspiration, and yet I find it to be just the opposite and actually one of their most ambitious albums to date.