Repairing f*cked up guitars

Tym_ex

Tymon
Dec 30, 2005
The Netherlands
www.exivious.net
I'm sure we've all been through it, mixing a project recorded by someone else where the guitar sound totally sucks. I was wondering how you guys approach fixing up really bad guitar sounds (no DI recorded). Just the usual stuff like EQ and dynamic control or do you have any secret tips and tricks you'd like to share?

Discuss :)

By no means do I suggest this is a good way to do it, but I think you may try soloing the guitar and identifying the frequencies where things are the most fucked. Attenuate those and try to fill in the cracks with something that expands the sound...maybe some reverb or chorus? Definitely downplay it in the mix for sure.

I suppose screwing around with speaker simulators may help tame an overly gained solid state sound, but I don't think you'll end up with a better sound in the end.

Hehe, I did it on basically a whole full length demo our band recorded some years ago. I played keyboards in the band at that time and the guitarists really sucked. It didn't save the sound though :(

Captain Obvious to the rescue :loco: Well of course, but sometimes you just don't have that luxury. So that is what this thread is about :)

Well just figured if its that bad rerecording is the best option.Would it be to obvious to point out that a shit tone with eq is still just an eq'ed shit tone?

Haha this is something I have cosidered on multiple occasions, never actually did it.

I've done it a couple of times - on my band's last CD I re-recorded all the bass parts. The bassist is normally solid but he was having a shitty time of it and just couldn't get into it on the day. We were pushed for time so when he went home I re-did it all.

For one band I mixed, some of the guitar parts didn't make it to me for some reason, so their drummer sent me the tabs for the missing parts and asked me to add them - the rest of the band still don't know :lol:

Steve

the thing is: if you're a great guitar player and nail those riffs do it (re-record).
If for some reasons you can't, well give 'em what they deserve: a shitty guitar sound, you're not God and you can't fix something broken that way.
Think about Andy, he all the times fix the shit reamping, that is the way to go.
Too bad they ain't got the di tracks.

I'm having the same problem with a mix I'm working on right now...

The guy turned down my offer to use a Dual Rec because he rather use his B-52 p.o.s.

...some people... :erk:

haha that's when you say 'Get the hell out of my studio' because you have to put your name on a shitty guitar tone, and that tone represents your studio's sound quality.

Do it right the first time

I've been through this a few times with outside tracking that i've mixed. Some of you may disagree but i firmly believe that attenuating the problem frequencies is NOT the way to go. Rather boost the vitals of the sounds and most importantly the ones you dont hate. Once you have boosted the christ out of the frequencies you dig, the problem frequencies will already be largely attenuated. Also dont be afraid to eq over the whole spectrum between your high and low passes. I see many people focusing too much on highs and high mids without compensating properly in the lows.
Im not saying cutting is wrong, and may be necessary at some point but over eqing is really gonna be your best bet in my opinion.
EQ ALOT!