Returning to rock after a decade of hip hop.

hiphopdefector

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2016
Hello. First off, thank you for welcoming me to your community, and I look forward to being a part of it.

I grew up on hard rock and nu-metal. Deftones "7 words" when Chino goes, "PIG FUCKING PIG FUCKING AHHHHHHHHHH!" That's the shit right there. Or "My Own Summer" by Deftones. Or "Stuck" by Limp Bizkit. And all RATM. But I've been out of the game for a long time, and my taste has changed a bit since then. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I hate too many blast beats or technical drums. I just want to rock the eff out without having to be distracted by the changing tempos and rhythms. Also, I'm not trying to hear much, if any, clean vocals and singing. I don't want to feel angry AND sad. I want to RAGE. (It's not about the lyrics, I don't listen to those anyway) Also, I've heard some stuff that came out a while back (early 90s maybe) that could work, but they weren't engineered or mixed well. Too tinny and trebbly. And back then, the vocals didn't have much balls... Too much hair. I love that guttural guitar, and a mix focused on the low mids that you can feel in your chest and gut. Also, too much guitar solo is annoying. The best songs I've heard so far are "Born Stubborn" by Sepultura, and "Rot" and "Pain" by Dry Kill Logic. Those last two almost have a punk feel. I like that. Also, I've had some luck with Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, and Devil Driver. But "Born Stubborn" is DEFINITELY my barometer right now. I'm looking for something I can riot to, mosh to, rage to, vandalize to, break shit to, and head bang to. But I don't want to feel like I should be cutting my wrists or feel like I'm in a '89 trans am. And I dont want to feel like I have to stop to think about what speed I should be banging my head every 10 seconds. I just want to ROCK THE EFF OUT!

Thanks again for any input!

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions.
Ozz, both those songs are perfect. Know of anything with just a tad bit more energy? Just like "Paralyzed Prey" but a little faster and a bit crisper?

Yerf, That suggestion was more like giving a good people a bad idea.

Since I posted, I found some more that I totally dug. Something like this:

I don't like all the break downs in this one. They're too frequent. But the hard parts are dope.

So, yah. If anyone could help me find more like these, I would be happy enough to break a window on a cop car....