Revalver 3 vs Freeware Amp Sims

Wow...Im really surprised with some of the responses

I usually have Lo and Hi Mids on TSX almost pinned...hahaha!

Played around with the original Wagner Sharp Mk I today for the first time in years and it still stacks up quite well. In fact, it sounded way better than I remembered it to be. If you put it up with 8505 you can hear that there's been years of more experience going into the latter, but that almost creamy smooth sound of the 'Wagner' emulating the Triple Giant is still quite pleasing and a refreshingly different taste.

Made some quite interesting discoveries today.

metaltastic: all passive filtering in the e530 except for the frequency compensated out which is active(opamps)

ermz: tonestacks are passive devices, and doesn't boost anything, only substracting..

Which are currently holding the title guys? I've never been a huge Revalver 3 fan, but with the advent of all these awesome free sims, it's made even less sense. But if one were looking, IS there an edge that Revalver 3 holds?

To answer your question Ermin: Revalver is available for Mac and also in RTAS format. They're the only real advantages at the moment.

ermz: tonestacks are passive devices, and doesn't boost anything, only substracting..

I dunno if you're speaking specifically for the e530, but the Peavey XXX and JSX both definitely have active tone stacks, and I believe Rectifiers do as well! (not as certain of that though)

Haha, I often find myself turning the LowMids UP .. along with HiMid and treble ..
The internal filtering in the 5150 and the E530 is very different.. the tonestack also..

for a comparison, here is the frequency response of the 5150 and the E530 tonestacks with every knobs at noon:

tonestack_comparison.png

This is just the response of the tonestacks itself.. the signal going IN the to tonestacks are totally different in those amps, and bad for comparison.. the E530's LowMid control is set very high (around 1000hz).. and I use little different approach in my next sim (X50) for approximating the circuit responses, which I might use for the 2.0 release of X30 which will also include the Clean channel.. (But that update isn't prioritized atm)

ongel... I just had this weirdest thought... have you tried copying the eq tonestack with waves q-clone?

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=319

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if you're speaking specifically for the e530, but the Peavey XXX and JSX both definitely have active tone stacks, and I believe Rectifiers do as well! (not as certain of that though)

I can't see a huge difference between the XXX/JSX tonestacks and the 5150 / E530 .. But yeah, you not wrong wrong looking at it as active filters when they feed the input of a tube.. but when the tonestack is the last element in the chain as with the E530 preamp it's a passive element and only does substractive EQ'ing / shunts frequencies to ground..

(The reason why I don't mention the presence/resonance controls here because they're usually dependent on negative feedback from the output transformator)..

I'm not an amp-tech, just a automation technician/ship electrician.. The things I've learned about guitaramps is from the net so I'm not hurt if you tell me that I look at it the wrong way :lol:

XXX and JSX definitely active.
Rectos have the "interactive" EQ. Can't do both boost and cut, but obviously since you're a Recto user, you'd be aware that turning one knob on the EQ section drastically effects the others, hence "interactive"

Hmm, I guess they are somewhat unique in that way...I suppose a lot of other amps have it where it is in the e530, at the very end of the tone stack, rather than in the middle. However, I'm not convinced the knobs can't both boost and cut, in fact, now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure they can (12:00 being neutral, as on the XXX/JSX). And as you say, I'm aware since I [was] a Recto user :D

a tonestack cant boost a signal that isn't there in
the first place, hence the use of the word passive on my behalf.
the recto has a little more complex tonestack than the others.

To answer your question Ermin: Revalver is available for Mac and also in RTAS format. They're the only real advantages at the moment.

Plus internal tweakability (yes thats a good thing, because it is optional), plus the exellent cab sim that is something more than just an ordinary convolver.

Haha, I often find myself turning the LowMids UP .. along with HiMid and treble ..
The internal filtering in the 5150 and the E530 is very different.. the tonestack also..

for a comparison, here is the frequency response of the 5150 and the E530 tonestacks with every knobs at noon:

tonestack_comparison.png

This is just the response of the tonestacks itself.. the signal going IN the to tonestacks are totally different in those amps, and bad for comparison.. the E530's LowMid control is set very high (around 1000hz).. and I use little different approach in my next sim (X50) for approximating the circuit responses, which I might use for the 2.0 release of X30 which will also include the Clean channel.. (But that update isn't prioritized atm)

Interesting graph, lately I have always had a large boost at 1000 hz post eq when using your sim. I guess I'm more of a 5150 guy :lol:

the XXX and JSX (and the Ultra Plus that came before) all had active EQ on the gain channels, there's no "difference in terms" going on with those amps, they have active EQ's. Setting them to noon (halfway point) would give the amps tone no boost or cut at the pots specific frequency...Move it up, you boost that pots freq., move it down, you cut it. Most amps are not like this (specifically, as mentioned, the 5150).

Revalver 3 has lots of amp sims and so does the freeware world making this comparison too general and vague. It's like saying "Waves plugins vs British made plugins".

The freeware offerings don't model the 6505+, JSX, and XXX amps and only one (8505) models the 6505 (not as well in my opinion). As accurate as Onqel's e530 is, it's not going to sound like a JSX sim.