Review of Biebob 18nov06

oeyenjo

Nov 13, 2006
Belgium
Review of a fantastic evening in Biebob - Vosselaar - Belgium 18Nov06

We (=my spouse - brother in law - 2 friends and I) arrived in Vosselaar at 18.45. We first went to the Metalzone Shop were i wanted to buy Rotting Christ - Genesis.
They will be performing in Biebob in Feb07, and i want to be prepared. But bad luck, it will be for later.
We entered the Biebob at 19.00 and i only had to pay 16 Euros. I find this incredible, 2 weeks ago i went to Tool and Mastodon and i had to pay 41 euros.
And i expect this evening to be at least twice as good.
After checking out the Novembers Doom merchandising (poster:3 euros, mousepad:8 euros, t-shirt:?? euros, longsleeve:25 euros, hoodie :?? Euro no girlie) we took our places on the small stairs.
Thurisaz started at 19.20. They reminded me of Axamenta(another Belgian Band) and a bit of Opeth. They used clean-vocals, COF growling and grunts, so there was enough diversity.
Although I’m not familiar with there songs, I found myself knee and feet bending.
They finished after 30' minutes and they convinced my brother in law to buy there first CD. A second CD is expected for next year.
After a beer, a chat with a UK-promoter, and a 15’ changeover Saturnus started their Gig. I’m only familiar with there last CD (Veronika Decides to Die). It was great, they played some long ones(eg. I long) with the fantastic guitar solos. Halfway the set the lead singer left the stage and took a smoke next to the soundman. They will do their best to come back in 2007. They played for 50’
After another 15’ break and some tuning problems, Agalloch was on stage. The dedication or even devotion of them was incredible. I had the impression that the bass player was in another world. Don’t get me wrong, he was great with his eyes closed and a happy smile on his face. As far as I can remember, they’ve played limb – falling snow – not unlike the waves en some older songs also.They had to retune their instruments for playing the older ones, and I heard them saying that they’ve bought their instruments in Europe. The reason behind this is unknown for me. At the end they were crawling on the ground, and I was afraid that they started destroying their guitars. And they were drinking Belgian beer. The played for about 55’
During the 15’ changeover to ND, some bandmembers were already on stage. They put two flags on the stage and so my view to half of the drumset was gone. At 22.25 ND started with The Pale Haunt Departure.
Immediately followed by Not the Strong and then a new one Rain.It’s a fast track, and I liked it, I could do my upper-body-banging, because I have some lower-back and neck problems. There was good interaction with the audience. Paul thanked someone from the UK for being there. Surprising for me was the impact of the other new song “Drown the Inland Mere”. I already checked out the mp3 on the site, but life it’s a real killer song. At the end they played my favourite “Dark World Burden”. The second encore was, a for me unknown song from Celtic Frost.
After the 1hr 10' show we hang around for a while. Some bandmembers came frontstage, but I had to leave, so no pictures or conversations. And I was feeling to shy to do so. ND is for me on the same level(impact and dedication) as I had in my younger years with bands like Iron Maiden, Accept and so on.
Just some general remarks.
Biebob is a bar with a gig-extension. To my opinion approx 350 people were present = probably a full house.
All bands used the Thurisaz drumkits and amps , which allowed them to do the quick changeovers. I’m wondering if there’s a story behind this.
Almost all bandmembers helped during the changeovers. This gave the whole evening a special unique atmosphere.
Light and sound was done by the Biebob-familiar experts, so it was great.
I would like to thank all four bands and Carl from Metalzone for this fantastic evening.
DO IT AGAIN (every year)

Thanks for the detailed review.
Almost the same stuff happening in Berlin (except for Saturnus :( ) We were wondering about Agalloch's bass player as well. Someone commented that he looked so "royal" with his eyes closed, wandering in another universe :)
Oh and I didn't approach band members either, I have no idea what I could have said. Apart from "thank you for the great gig".

Did you have Opeth playing during the changeovers?

Opeth after the gigs
I've heard
During the changeover Thurisaz - Saturnus : Moonspell
During the changeover Saturnus - Agalloch : Empyrium
During the changeover Agalloch - ND : My Dying Bride

okay, then i must have misunderstood it? No problem, i'm happy for them.

Are you planning to post a tour diary

Really enjoyed that gig as well, guys. In case anyone was left wondering.

Sorry we couldn't chat due to time limits and other aspects we might talk about in person. Anyway, I hope to have a second chance relatively soon.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you either, Jo. I was the one with the white T-shirt. ;-) Drop by Metal Zone Leuven some time if you feel up to it and we can have a chat, after all. I'll play some ND for the occasion, ha!

I know you opened this weekend.
I will do my best to pass by before the end of the year. I will wear my ND t-shirt.
I was the one who asked Agalloch if they were drinking Belgian Beer.

I know you opened this weekend.
I will do my best to pass by before the end of the year. I will wear my ND t-shirt.
Yeah, that was last week. It's been a hell of a ride so far and I can't say I regret it one bit. Practically everyone who walks in keeps telling me this city needed a shop like that. My thoughts exactly, of course. I'm a local and always missed a place to hang out and browse for cool music and accessories.
I didn't see any ND shirts in the store so far, short of the one I wore last week. ;) Do drop by some day, Jo. Even if just for a chat. I'll blast some ND for the occasion, haha.
I was the one who asked Agalloch if they were drinking Belgian Beer.
Oh right, I remember that! I also remember them replying "yes" which is really stretching it quite far with the cheap German brew they were messing around with.

Oh right, I remember that! I also remember them replying "yes" which is really stretching it quite far with the cheap German brew they were messing around with.

I was the one who said "yes" and I was drinking Jupiler, which is Belgian. I don't see how that is stretching it. Cheap? Apparently it is there but it was what we got backstage (along with some Kreik).

Actually my favorite was Leute Bokbier. Nice label too. It was a real pain in the ass to buy it at the Metropool bar. Fucking beer token machine! What the hell??

J

I was the one who said "yes" and I was drinking Jupiler, which is Belgian. I don't see how that is stretching it. Cheap? Apparently it is there but it was what we got backstage (along with some Kreik).

Actually my favorite was Leute Bokbier. Nice label too. It was a real pain in the ass to buy it at the Metropool bar. Fucking beer token machine! What the hell??

J

Next time you are here (and I really hope that day will come ) try some Korenwolf , especially if it's in the summer! Now THAT is some prime stuff!

Hi, i hope i wasn't to impolite by asking whether it was Belgian Beer. Anyhow, whatever you were drinking it was a great show which i will remember for a long time. Also give my congratulations to your bass player, which was the coolest guy on stage that evening. Sorry Paul, you were number two. ;-)

Yeah I'll try Korenwolf when I'm there again if I can't get it in Portland. I can find just about anything here at our many import beer stores. It kind of took the fun out of "trying new beers" when looking at a menu in Brugge. Carl was so proud to show off his bottle of McChouffe to which I replied "Meh, I can get that stuff at a grocery store by my house". Heh. Always the downer. I need to see if I can get some Leute here.

Of course Jason is cool. He is the sea captain afterall.

...and no it wasn't rude to ask, though I should've replied with "could someone please send a case of Leute to the stage? Thank you"

J

i tried to hint that Westvleteren would be a good Belgian beer to try that you can't readily get here in the States- the La/McChouffe stuff is all over here, as well as the Delerium, St. Bernardlus, Brasserie de Rocs, etc., but it's those smaller unknown trappist ones i'd be interested in.

there are lots of Belgian Christmas ales i'd love to get my hands on.