ND and Nightingale in Biebob 05 July 08

oeyenjo

Nov 13, 2006
Belgium
Arrived late so didn't see Dylath-Leen

During Thurisaz i was talking with Antzor.
Hope his band gets some gigs and when it's in the South of Holland i'm gonna see them. But i forgot the name of his band.
Thurisaz was ok but i wasn't paying much attention.

Then Draconian : I liked it. Nice grunts from the frontman and the female voice didn't disturb me. Slow and nice riffs.

Novembers Doom : The were very relaxed on stage and joking a lot. Although the scheduled announced 1hr to play, they had a rather short-setlist(I suppose they had to make some time for Nightingale)
ND setlist :
Drown The Inland Mere
Dark World Burden (with Dan S watching his solo-spot from the backstage).
Autumn Reflection
Silent Tomorrow
Rain
The Pale Haunt Departure.

Then Nightingale.
Didn't know what to expect. But the gig was good.
I'm not familiar with their back-catalogue, but liked the early 80's inspired hardrock.
The Star of the Evening was Dag Swano. Just on the edge of not being "kitsch" but catchy and a great stage charisma. He reminded me at Gary Moore.Lionfrost and i had a good laugh with his performance.

During the interval after Thurisas i talked to WiscoKid about the signing session (which i missed) in Graspop and the audio-quality of the DVD. He explained to me why it was difficult to record 5.1 in Biebob, and maybe he can share this with the rest of the forum, because i don't remember it anymore.

by the way, what was the tape for on some amps and guitars? not allowed to show off brands for tv recordings during graspop?

oeyenjo, could you send me a pm or mail with your email address? :) you seem to have it disables, don't want to derail this thread ;)

During the interval after Thurisas i talked to WiscoKid about the signing session (which i missed) in Graspop and the audio-quality of the DVD. He explained to me why it was difficult to record 5.1 in Biebob, and maybe he can share this with the rest of the forum, because i don't remember it anymore.

The audience mics for the Biebob DVD were recorded in 5.1, but we did not use them for a few different reasons. #1 reason is because I don't usually mix in 5.1 and I didn't want to use this project as an experiment, but aside from that... the Biebob is a great club to play, but it isn't very big, and when I was listening to the different audience mics I felt that some of them caused some phasing issues with the actual instrument tracks. The audience mics we did use were the best sounding ones we had, and even then we had to carefully place them in the mix and pull the faders back when needed as to not mess up the stage sound. We still have all of the original recordings, perhaps in the future we may decide to release a song or two from that show in 5.1 as a special bonus, now that you have heard it the way we wanted in presented. We have already begun incorporating more elements to the live show, including some new (and older) songs, along with keyboards and other effects we did not use in the past... so hopefully there will be another DVD or live recording in the future!
:kickass:

You guys play the keyboard from the iBook right? Click panned one way, tracks the other? Do you use anything to stabilize it? We use a flash iPod because we were worried about the hard drive being unstable with all the double bass drumming and other Noisy Stuff going on.

You guys play the keyboard from the iBook right? Click panned one way, tracks the other? Do you use anything to stabilize it? We use a flash iPod because we were worried about the hard drive being unstable with all the double bass drumming and other Noisy Stuff going on.
We had talks about this, and decided the laptop was the best choice. Even the flash iPods can jam from time to time, and for us it is a bit easier to see the menu and the screen as opposed to the little iPod unit. The bottom line is, we like to use the keys but if there is a problem we can ditch the system and just play without it. Such was the case in Zaandam, the power went out on our entire backline and keyboard system, so we just played without it. I have been involved with live music for over 30 years... you prepare and practice, and when something goes wrong you make it work and give your audience a good show no matter what. That is why I like playing with these guys, when the roof blows off the house we still keep goin!

the show must go on :D

we use some other things to prevent control fuckups during the show, and maybe a 2nd player for redundancy :)