Reviews for The Crown of Winter

Свечей в тёмных листьев - это особенно грустно. Даже более грустно, чем маленькая известность этих детей за Discazo.
Иногда женщины поддержки не было бы необходимым - как же так?
Зато абсолютно правильно был сделан вывод, CD - это действительно Круглый вещь, никто не оспорит.
But when you’re in the right mood just put this CD on - they just jeer at me!

One more here:

http://www.zwaremetalen.com/recensie/13384/Forest-stream-The-Crown-of-Winter.html

And Google translation to Russian as always:

Лесные Stream - Корону Зимние
Candlelight Records, 2009

Для поклонников дум также Opeth, император и в лесу, ремни являются штраф, имеет очень приятный релиз обозримом проблем. Лесного Stream является российской дум метал группы Корона Зимних с их второго альбома металла сообщество подарки. Полный час, в том числе несколько ненужных интро и outtro, диапазон музыкальных стилей, без того, чтобы все звуки, как лоскутное одеяло. Выпуск компакт-диска является довольно стандартным дум метал группы подозрения. А по сравнению с полосой Draconians как может быть создана и Большого три в Великобритании, были услышаны. Постепенно, однако, также очевидно, что последующие полосы, как император и Opeth было большое влияние. Opeth влияет четко слышал от ряда живут. Императора и Sirius благословить вас вымирать. В Седьмой симфонии Сатаны, они оба имеют возвращения. Это более замечание, потому что ни разу я нашел эту тревогу.

Другие случаи относятся к категории малых minpuntjes. Наибольшее расхолаживать партии чистого вокала, что уровень остальной музыке действительно тянет вниз.Утонченная и регулярные нечистое он к счастью, очень редко прошло, и я всегда рад, что это такое. В Английский произношение может быть, как планируется. Просто прислушаться к интро красивой природы. Какой месяц является "Eugust" точно?

Если вы один из этих великих полосы слушания: сделать себе пользу и дать Лесной потока Корона Зимних есть слушать. Большая вероятность вы больше работает, чем можно было бы ожидать. В группе с большим потенциалом!

1. Интро (Ферал Magic)
2. Корона Зимние
3. Погрязнуть
4. Благослови You To Die
5. Осенний Танцовщики
6. The Seventh Symphony Of Satan
7. Красивая природа
8. Outro (Моя мечта Пробуждение Страна)

Score: 82/100

Ну а что делать, у нас кроме как по-английски никто говорить не умеет, вот такие шедевры и получаются.

А я понял это!! Практически всё!!!! ГЫГЫГЫГЫГЫЫГГЫ!!! это ж датч!

wow, I somehow missed the release of this album.. after waiting for so long, it must have snuck up on me! Must.... get...... now.....

No it's not out... yet is available through Itunes...

Another one...quite indulgent one I have to say...

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=5420
Forest Stream’s debut, Tears of Mortal Solitude promised interesting things, a melange of black metal coldness with imperious, Katatonia-inspired gothic melody. It’s an intriguing combination, and perhaps an under-explored one. But that album was also severely frustrating. It had a strong sense of atmospheric tunefulness that drew you in through a promising introduction. So it was a perplexing letdown when the first real track proper belly-flopped in, with a synth heavy sound that could hardly punch a hole through wet cardboard with a knuckleduster. The lack of metallic punch is was a real shame, because there were undoubtedly good ideas here. When in (intentionally) gentle mode Forest Stream manage to construct intriguing, mellifluously proggy moments that reminded me of real stars such as In the Woods.

So, what of 2009’s The Crown of Winter? As the creepy ambience of intro Feral Magic seeps subtly into my ears, I wonder whether it’s going to be just as anti-climactic when track 2 arrives. But it isn’t, fortunately. The metal guitars are more pronounced, meaning that they accomplish the crucial first step of avoiding that cruellest of fates; being overpowered by a synthesised string section. The beefed up sound is also slower and doomier, frequently moving even further from black metal, and whilst it hardly reaches the level of power of a Mourning Beloveth, their deftness with proggy melody (which can admittedly sometimes be excessively twee) makes this actually quite attractive, in a gentle, gothy way. In some of the janglier piano arpeggios and spacey orchestral experimentation that adorn epics such as the title track, there is also a strong hint of Arcturus, no less. Yes, so far, a huge step up. When the blackness does resurface, as on Bless You To Die, the logical temptation to plough into a Dimmu-like symphonic jolly is resisted, and exuberant clean lead guitar lines are drafted in to soar above the surprisingly dark abyss.

Then, you also have tracks such as Mired, with clever mixes of heart-string-tugging melodic melancholia and powerful chugging melodeath, equipped with soulful lead harmonies, that remind me extremely strongly of some classic mid-period Opeth tracks (Godhead’s Lament, that sort of thing). In fact, some tunes here comes closer to that particular sound than anything full-time imitators I’ve heard. The frighteningly named Sonm the Darkest cannot touch Akerfeldt’s clean vocals, of course, but he has a growl that can more than hold its own. At times, it seems like they’ve put away the Katatonia for good and reached for the Still Life, which has done them a world of good. It’s far from perfect. As I said, it can be too twee at times, too flowery and delicate with the orchestral and piano additions. And the attempt at acerbic experimentalism on Beautiful Nature doesn’t seem to come off, despite a powerful juddering climax. But hell, the most crippling weaknesses have largely been erased.

I must say, I had almost written this off before it started, so unamused was I by Tears of Mortal Solitude. But this is not bad at all. A total transformation. Each track is saying something different, but the whole thing is submerged in powerful melody from start to finish. Really well done; I never thought I’d be able to say it, but I’m looking forward to the next Forest Stream album.

Killing Songs : Crown of Winter, Mired, Bless You To Die
76/100

Do these people even listen to the music? Seems as if they focus too much on loudness and heavyness of each instrument rather then the whole.

Look, here's another one... I wonder whether something many-sided is still actual in this world. Interesting review, honestly.
Forest Stream - The Crown of Winter (Candlelight Records)

By: David E. Gehlke

[7/10] Good enough to open for Katatonia during the Swedes 2007 run in Russia, Forest Stream could be the most visible Russian metal band since Mental Home, who came as fast as they went. While it’s unlikely the same fate will befall this long-running sextet (they’ve been active since 1995), they’ll need to conjure up a little more muster than what is shown on The Crown of Winter to catch the impatient ears of the international underground.

On paper, the band’s mix of symphonic and classic Goth is an appetizing one. Opener “The Crown of Winter” is a tell-tale sign of what the band is capable of, as it’s clearly the best number of this very much bloated 8-song offering. The melodies presented are of the sinewy variety, recalling mid-90’s Katatonia and early Paradise Lost, yet the keyboards play too heavy of a role, dominating “The Seventh Symphony of Satan” and “Autumn Dancers.”

With the exception of the very-Emperor “Bless You To Die,” Forest Stream’s laid-back, almost Tiamat-like approach starts to grate and that’s only because when there is a batch of goods (see the mournful melodies of “Mired”), the band decides to lay off the gas and drifts into more atmospheric nothingness. Sorta frustrating. And the volleying growled/clean vocals of Sonm the Darkest are an acquired taste, especially when the clean side takes prominence (see “The Beautiful Nature”).

The Crown of Winter, for all its awkward balance, would be a world-beater if not for the extraneous elements that bog it down to no end. We’ll stick with the album’s first three songs and ditch the rest.
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/link/1/templateid/16423/tempidx/4/menuid/2
7/10

Rating - 8.

I suppose that not many of our readers are maintaining long-term relationship with doomsters around Moscow. I am also one of the new fans, though the band's anonymity is kind of justified, as the band, that is in its 14th year of existence is over a rather long but not so fertile term of their career. Speaking in terms of numbers, it means that they are over two demos and two full-lengths; including the one my review is about. As some sort of appendix to these, they have also been covering Katatonia’s Without God on a tribute in 2006. Reading over the biography, it turns out that they have been through some pretty inconvenient incidents, so this lack of records is a forgivable guilt, even more so, if we take the fact that they are presenting some quality work with their recent effort into consideration. So here's Candlelight's new star.
If I only said that the songs are characterized by an abstract and beckoningly depressive mood, and a sense of loneliness, everyone was to realize that doom music is responsible for this, standing in the background in its usual, ragged funeral gowns, presenting the feelings of introversion and isolation authentically However, their style is impregnated with raw aggression, letting the listener know, that she won't only face depressive, gloomy atmosphere here. Thus the overwhelming atmosphere is strengthened by the diversity of the drums: we get some double bass segments, complemented by some fast and some more laid-back blastbeats. On the other hand, we shouldn't expect a hyperactive flux of riffs , in spite of the guitar players (Omin and Berserk) are playing rather skilfully, and they can give birth to painful melodies whenever they feel need for it. Accompanying the pushed-forward keyboards, Elhella, the only female band member takes an important role in the process of laying the album's mood. The vocalist, Sonm provides emotional clean vocals just as good as the combination of growling and shrieking, saving us from the lengthy, well-known deep-pitched growls. To put it short, the guys present us with fine compositions, saving their work from the curses of the genre, the monotonity and having the listeners bored too long. Forest Stream’s effort isolates itself from these weak points of the genre.
They have also broken up with the stereotypes regarding the sound: they have tried another aspect, which, in this case is not a positive achievement. I don't know, whether it's the consequence of the financial state of the band or it's intentional, but this 'echoed' sound is disturbing. In spite of this, the album's artwork reflects the band's message flawlessly. The ship, wrecked on a reef, locked in ice is meant to confront us with the flight of our life diving nose down. As the genre is doom, the one hour long record stays within the bounds of endurance, though by chopping off some of the theatrical parts the output would have been swifter. I could also have got used to more female vocals, as in the case of the title track.
Though we still have no reason to complain. This effort is rather strong. It's as much entertaining as background music, as it is when listened paying attention. The song titles reflect the bands view of the world truthfully - no affection, no deception, but bare emotions. This sympatric view gets the honesty of the whole production raised to another level. It's difficult to write about the tracks one by one, for they are illustrating a cohesive concept. However, for the sake of readers, I give it a try.
It's obvious, that songs like these are not easy to grasp. You'll need a whole lot of patience. At first, The Crown of Winter stirs up the still waters. The peaceful waves are strengthened to be some sort of flowing deluge; with the lost boat of our lives drifting on it towards the open sea. After 20 minutes, by the end of Mired we are but struggling with the water, trying to swim towards a happy existence. Track number four, Bless You to Die witnesses as bitterness turns to unleashed rage, bringing the drums into the play. For a few moments, the song shifts into pure black grinding, the hidden, anguished face of the poisoned world is painted in front of our eyes. As the continuation of our decline, The Autumn Dancers goes on in a more moderate manner, though The Seventh Symphony of Satan is all based on destruction again. This part is rather refreshing. Cutting the waves further on, we can hear Beautiful Nature, opening with a creative verse, and we can witness its full development. The last two minutes are simply great, the finest move of the whole album: the sound of church bells, then a melody, that is impossible to describe – it's an elevating experience. We arrived at the end of our voyage. At the end of the journey, that is our life. We drown into the haze along with the wrecked piece of wood. The destruction of being is surrounded by deep mourning. By the end of the album, our instinctively shed tears fall into the dust, together with our bodies, and get lost in the dark eternity...
http://www.kronosmortus.hu/node/17861

Pim B.: Forest Stream is a band that can’t be tagged easily. On the one hand they can play light-hearted gothic metal and on the other hand they can blast bombastic black metal out of your speakers. ‘The Crown of Winter’, the second album of this Russian band, begins quite mellow with an intro followed by the eleven minute title track. A fantastic song that can be described as gothic doom/death an that contains mellow passages combined with heavy melodic doom/death; a beautiful song.

From song four on, called ‘Bless You To Die’, the black metal influences pop up. The inventive riffs remind a bit of Emperor and because of the orchestral keyboard parts you have to think of Dimmu Borgir as well. It took me several listening sessions to get to the bottom of this album. In the end the musicality of Forest Stream made me realise ‘The Crown of Winter’ is a very strong album. You definitely have to check out this album, especially when you dig bands like Katatonia, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir and similar acts.
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=14232&lang=en
89/100

Yes! Yes! This one is simply great!
http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/Articles.aspx?id=2-5812

Sounding not too unlike every other gang of miseriguts who tried their hands at doom a decade ago after overdosing on _Turn Loose the Swans_, Forest Stream's latest is a pretty undercooked affair. They certainly have the act down: vocals shift between some fairly non-descript grunts, a male baritone and female caterwauling -- each of which are desperate to sound as forlorn as the riffs they're singing along to. Plenty of synth work adds to the morass of morbidity, and curiously the production makes each instrument sound detached from everything else that's going on -- which is just as well, since the melodies aren't exactly too engaging either. For some _The Crown of Winter_ could prove to be a return of a sub-genre thought banished to the backpages of the Nuclear Blast mail order catalogue. Personally, there's only so much derivative wallowing I can take before I'd seek out the style's originators.
5/10

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]http://www.metalteamuk.net/jun09reviews/cdreviews-foreststream.htm

It’s been a long time since debut album ‘Tears Of Mortal Solitude’ from Russian Federation band Forest Stream came out on Earache’s Elitist offprint. 6 years in fact and considering it was meant to be the first part of a projected trilogy it has been a particularly long wait. That idea might have been abandoned to be honest and it is evident that the band have evolved from the misery serenades of their doomy, gloomy first album. There is obviously the new label, Candlelight as well as substantial line up shuffles with new members joining the group. This has been reflected in the sound of the follow up album which is at times a lot fiercer and upbeat but still very much retaining its desolate core.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I absolutely love the album artwork; it really installs a sense of the wintery theme about it, although the timing of the release is perhaps not the best as summer tries to take its grip. I was rather expecting a watery flow to the sound within this, perhaps in line with Ahab or Geist but as the epic 11 minute plus title track takes hold it is almost as though all water has turned to ice and embedded that ship on the cover until the thaw, one which the crew are unlikely to survive and see. It is the addition of frosty and very Russian sounding keyboards that are similar to dancing sleigh-bells, which really adds a touch of atmosphere here. Vocals are pretty gentle and beseeching, provided by former drummer Sonm the Darkest, they at first caress before going for a gruffer more forceful assault as the music itself picks up. Atmospheric doom is the best description to the sound really and it is a pretty sorrowful one in essence as the track unfolds like a particularly harsh winter. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The songs all have a long and epic flow about them hitting the 7-10 minute mark and are well written and crafted. Looking back I accused them of sounding a bit Northern England on their debut album, now here however songs such as ‘Mired’ are all tinged with the sort of complex arrangement one would find from Finland, where winter is truly harsh Things change dramatically as track 4 ‘Bless You To Die’ detonates with an explosion and rages in with guitar sweeps that are pure Emperor. It’s very good to see that in the bands blog they do not try and cover this up in the slightest and proudly acknowledge their influence on this newer direction. If only all bands were so honest! Also it should be said that they do not do a bad job of things here at all either. After a moody and fragile, almost reflective number ‘The Autumn Dancers’ the blackened orchestral swathed ‘The Seventh Symphony Of Satan’ more than lives up to its name with props to the likes of Dimmu Borgir and Old Man’s Child on the way. The track goes on to calm down with a bit of Opeth about its flow, Forest Stream certainly are keen to mix up the cream of the crop here and this should appeal to lovers of all the bands mentioned. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Last real track ‘Beautiful Nature’ is rather odd and starts with a digital alarm clock and spoken words unveiling a story, the sort of thing I would perhaps expect to hear in a prog rock number. This expands, amalgamating other styles and ideas as it unravels and like the rest of the album is mature and complex. ‘The Crown Of Winter’ is an album that will probably take quite a few listens to get to grips with, not something for the casual musical junkie looking for a quick throwaway fix. I guess they have had plenty of time to work on it and polish things up and I just hope Forest Stream don’t disappear for another six years and drop off into obscurity again. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

The Russian formation FOREST STREAM publish with the signing of a contract with Candlelight Records their by now second full-length album. The band was founded in the year 1995.
At " The Crown Of Winter " the five men offer to their fans quite plenty of the different musical genres. They combine spheric transfigured arrangements with chewy stomping Doom rollers as well as sudden angry outburst with fast blasts and screaming vocals which doesn't sound anything but scatterbrained. A terrific collection of ideas and singing variety where every detail fits. With preceding album length the degree of hardness increases and vocalist Sonm has down pat pretty nearly everything from his clean vocals right up to heavy growls and ragged screams. " The Crown Of Winter " is a very well, crystal clear and lucent production which can set highly acents especially with the excellent drums. FOREST STREAM are clearly independent. Eight songs which packs a punch in any case and whet your appetite for listening to the cd again and again.
The formation is musically at home in Finnish climes and comparisons with bands like Katatonia and Emperor are here undeniable. You can also hear temporarily female vocals which pleasantly insert like a piece of a puzzle in the complete masterwork.
A marvellous album, diversified and most of all oustanding arranged. Very recommendable for listeners of the multiplicity of genres.
Playing tips: The Crown Of Winter, Bless You To Die & The Seventh Symphony Of Satan

Translated by: H-o-M Claudia
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=471206586&blogId=498937359

Those translated reviews are... I have no words to describe them... Диск, сука, круглый! :lol:

As for "serious" reviews, I'm gonna look at them soon