Reviews of recent purchases

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
I recently bought some CDs. Here's what I thought of them:

Robbie Williams, "Escapology" - best damn CD he's ever released. Easily in my top 5 albums of the year so far (the others so far being The Crown's "Crowned In Terror", Dark Tranquillity's "Damage Done", Def Leppard's "X" and Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising"). Rock on, Robbie, rock on.

Iron Maiden, "Eddie's Archive" - after years of not appearing to really give a fig about their fans by releasing dodgy stuff ("Ed Hunter", anyone?), or not releasing it at all ("Visions of the Beast", anyone?), they finally make up for it with one of the greatest collector's thingamies since... umm... Rock on, Maiden, rock on.

Arch Enemy, "Wages of Sin" - what an awesome album! I had always figured that by having a woman doing cookie monster vox that they were a bit of a gimmick band, but I was completely wrong. Easily in my top 6 albums of the year so far. Rock on, Arch Enemy, rock on.

Audioslave, "Audioslave" - Chris Cornell and the blokes from Rage Against The Machine return in fine form. Not sure if I like the album yet - it's certainly good, but whether it will be one I keep returning to (like Jerry Cantrell's first album) or one I won't listen to again because it's just not memorable (like Jerry Cantrell's second album) remains to be seen. Rock on, Audioslave, rock on.

WASP, "WASP" - I had always been a bit scared to check out the early stuff from little Blackie as I figured... well, I figured it wouldn't be much good. I had a look at this one though and saw there were a few songs on it I quite liked (LOVE Machine, I Wanna Be Somebody and Hellion, which I had only heard on Children Of Bodom's "Follow The Reaper") and decided to get it. Great stuff! I shall surely check out the rest of their catalogue soon (I only have "The Headless Children" and "The Crimson Idol" thus far). Rock on, Blackie and co, rock on.

Pain of Salvation, "The Perfect Element" - only bought this yesterday so I haven't really formed a definitive opinion yet, but I must say it all sounds rather familiar, but I'm not sure what it reminds me of yet. The booklet is really cool, though, so the album gets an obligatory nod until I decide whether I like it or not. Rock on, Pain of Salvation's booklet designer(s), rock on.

Entombed, "Morning Star" - bought this one yesterday too. Not sure what the fuss is about - unfortunately I'm not that big a fan of thrash bands whose songs all sound the same, and you have to wonder why they spend so much time in the studio when they could just record one song and have that on the album 12 times and nobody would be able to tell the difference. It's good thrash, though, so I shall continue to listen to it. Rock on, Entombed, rock on.

And that's it. Cheers.

Originally posted by Spiff

WASP, "WASP" - I had always been a bit scared to check out the early stuff from little Blackie as I figured... well, I figured it wouldn't be much good. I had a look at this one though and saw there were a few songs on it I quite liked (LOVE Machine, I Wanna Be Somebody and Hellion, which I had only heard on Children Of Bodom's "Follow The Reaper") and decided to get it. Great stuff! I shall surely check out the rest of their catalogue soon (I only have "The Headless Children" and "The Crimson Idol" thus far). Rock on, Blackie and co, rock on.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Self titled is their best! :D You can probably avoid "Inside The Electric Circus". All filler except for a couple of tracks.

'80s Kiss didn't have that much filler. The only filler on the '80s Kiss albums was Gene's tracks haha, but he always had 1 good song on them like "Secretly Cruel" on Asylum and "Murder In High Heels" on Animalize. Lick It Up had all good Gene tracks though.

Lucky though during the mid 80s there was more good and less bad on each album as they went along...

Animalize had 5 Paul songs and 4 Gene.
Asylum had 6 Paul songs and 4 Gene.
Crazy Nights had 7 Paul songs and 4 Gene hehe.

Best non-makeup Kiss album :)

Exciter, A Million To One, All Hell's Breakin' Loose, Not For The Innocent, Lick It Up, Dance All Over Your Face.. :headbang:

Lick it Up = damn fine album. Only a couple of fillers in the shape of Exciter and Gimme More. If they hadn't released Killers and saved I'm A Legend Tonight and Down on Your Knees for a proper studio record instead of a compilation, then you'd have perfection. LIU boasts one of the best Paul/Vinnie collaborations (A Million to One) and the greatest sleaze anthem of the 80s- Fits Like A Glove :headbang:

Must grab that self-titled WASP album and see what all the fuss is about. I only have The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol so far.

W

Get Entombed's Same, Difference album and compare it to Morning Star..same band dude..then you might understand the fuss. Yes i'm aware of uprising but it WASN'T as good as Morning Star..infact Spiffo get ANYTHING that Entombed have done then compare it to Morning Star Best. Emtombed. Ever. IMO

Originally posted by Southy
Get Entombed's Same, Difference album and compare it to Morning Star..same band dude..then you might understand the fuss. Yes i'm aware of uprising but it WASN'T as good as Morning Star..infact Spiffo get ANYTHING that Entombed have done then compare it to Morning Star Best. Emtombed. Ever. IMO

Even Same Difference was good. It just wasn't metal. All of their stuff is good. They're just a killer band.

Pain of Salvation :headbang:
Finally Spiff, you get a POS album!

It will grow on you. That is the beauty of the band. It will take a while for you to get what they are all about, but once you do, you will not be able to stop listening to them!
The have so many layers and levels, and are so emotional. How good are the vocal melodies?!

I bought loads of cds this year, so I'll review the best and the worst (not all cds were released this year.. actually few...)

BLAZE - The tenth dimension - Excellent, if you like Blaze or metal, this album manage to have hard/heavy track and some melodic/ambitious stuff. A must have. Also excellent Sci-Fi theme.

Iwon Maiden - Eddies Archive - Should be home tomorrow or wednesday, I guess it's good. I hope the price is right :(

Iced Earth - Alive in Athen and Dark Genesis - Worth it's price just for the incredible artwork. This is what attracted me to this band, and the music is really good too :)

Slayer - God hate us All - I know what the peeps think of Slayer here, but the do manage to destroy with this killer album (and also excellent to annoy neighbores that listen to cheese pop loudly at 3 am.)

Metallica - Live sh*t - If it was not for the great deal I got, I would have waited for the DVD version. One of the greatest boxset ever I think, excellent live material.

You guess I'm pretty conventional :D

Thats a DAMN good list there SOANM :D I agree with everything you said, and the IM boxset is worth it IMO :)

Originally posted by Spruce Goose
Pain of Salvation :headbang:
Finally Spiff, you get a POS album!

It will grow on you. That is the beauty of the band. It will take a while for you to get what they are all about, but once you do, you will not be able to stop listening to them!
The have so many layers and levels, and are so emotional. How good are the vocal melodies?!

I remain unimpressed so far. :( I really hope these guys aren't the future of prog metal, because it's in a sorry state as it is since Dream Theater lost the plot.

Originally posted by Goreripper
Even Same Difference was good. It just wasn't metal. All of their stuff is good. They're just a killer band.

Indeed they are mate i was just trying to explain to our simple mate the things that make it a great METAL album :D