Rhythm guitar 101

I think he is an overall amazing guitarist. I don't like his phrasing on solos as much as I used to, but still, I don't think he is just another "shredder" guitarist, he has his own style and sound. When it comes to rhythm guitar though there's no room to question his abilities. He is my favorite guitarist along with Petrucci and Romeo.

Loomis is definitely on my list of players I like to listen too. His rhythms are always exciting and full of aggression. As for his solos they bore me, I am so tired of hearing the dim7 arpeggio thing. I had my fill of it in the 80s. guys that appeal to me from a soloing stand point are:

OLD Petrucci everything up through Six Degrees when he still had feel AND technique / speed. Now hes just a shredder and it bores me.
Greg Howe just an amazing funky player with tons of feel and speed
Guthrie Govan HUGE fan of this guy right now. His angular lines and note choice are incredible
Steve Vai just pure soul and flash all the way around
Alex Skolnick his shit never gets boring for me hes always doing something different weather it be phrasing or arpeggio related
Dime probably my fave lead player ever. Not overly technical but unbelievably tasteful and agressive
Zakk Wylde just for all out chick'n pickin madness and unbelievably blinding speed pentatonics

Growing up it was:
George Lynch
Joe Satriani
Albert Lee
Al Dimeola
Allan Holdsworth
David T Chastain
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman
Jason Becker
Paul Gilbert

hahhahaah .. probably some of your shit definitely does get pretty fucking riffy!

His ability to seamlessly switch between trips, quads, and 16ths is crazy!

I can take him

EDIT: It would take me about 3 weeks to get back where I was. Anything you've heard from me riff-wise is always at around 75% of what I can actually do when I play consistently each day. I use to play along to the NOTSR cd as my daily warmup

not trying to sound cool or full of myself ... not my style

but I can take him ;)

I can take him

EDIT: It would take me about 3 weeks to get back where I was. Anything you've heard from me riff-wise is always at around 75% of what I can actually do when I play consistently each day. I use to play along to the NOTSR cd as my daily warmup

not trying to sound cool or full of myself ... not my style

but I can take him ;)

Yes, there's was a point in my life when I too was constantly playing along to Iced Earth and had the stamina to play along with all iced earth albums. The hardest to play along though was "alive in athens" where he plays the songs almost on double speed. I could keep up with the speed but not for the whole time he did. In the second CD where he plays angels holocaust, stormrider and path I choose back to back is near impossible.

The hardest to play along though was "alive in athens" where he plays the songs almost on double speed. I could keep up with the speed but not for the whole time he did. In the second CD where he plays angels holocaust, stormrider and path I choose back to back is near impossible.

I will agree with that 100% because I also couldn't make it through all those tunes on that album at the pace he set. Now the only thing is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that actually done over the course of a couple of shows? I thought that was the deal with that disc and if so, could have just been a collection of the best performances for those songs over a couple nights

Either way, he is a MONSTER rhythm player and actually quite a big influence on me. I just don't see him as the "be all end all" of riff slingers. I'd put Greg Fulton right up there with him as well except Fulton has more actual feel in rhythm playing than a lot of guitarists do in their lead playing

Now the only thing is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that actually done over the course of a couple of shows?

Yes. Plus, you'll hear a lot of people claiming that it sounds suspiciously good for a live album....if you know what I mean....;).
Either way as far as the combination speed/tightness/stamina goes, he is the best IMO. But obviously there's more to playing rhythm guitar than that.

i think jon schaffer is overrated, i admit i don't know many iced earth songs, but c'mon gallopping "fake-triplets" at 220 or something, its not that hard
loomis and hobbs eat him for breakfast
also, stamina-wise, that guy from origin is probably the best, he literally tremolo picks all the time

i love those discussions about who's better
i know its pointless, but it makes me feel like a 14 year old again
like "joey jordison is the best drummer in the whole world" haha

Another really aggressive rhythm player is Pat O Brien from Cannibal Corpse. Saw them live a few weeks back and the shit seemed effortless to him. Schaeffer is godly also but Jeff Loomis writes such catchy yet brutal material and is a sick lead player. Very versatile player. Jeff wins.