Rhythm guitar 101

+1 for Pat O'Brien and Paul Ryan for the sick playing

Still i think Loomis, Hobbes, Vogg, Dimebag and Emil Werstler are equally insane in terms of rythm-skills but play more inspired riffs (and leads) than the two above, which makes a big difference in the end.

EDIT : holy shit at some riffs (look at that right hand FFS !!!) in the Suffo video

EDIT 2 : also check out that one, the riffs at 2"28 and 3"32 (there's a similar riff in "Slaughtered" by Pantera btw) are just INSANE right-hand-wise :

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I must be strange in that I hear A LOT of melody and great phrasing in pretty much all Loomis' solos.
Too me, someone playing only a few notes but in the style of perhaps BB King over the top of Nevermore would be FAR more wankish than just playing what fits the song.
His vibrato is absolutely insane and what he plays in his solos puts any so called "feel" guitarist to complete, utter shame.
Wanna talk about terrible phrasing and note choice, let's talk Rusty Cooley, Kirk Hammett and Francesco Fareri. Hell, only one of those guys can even pull off decent vibrato (and sometimes Cooley is not spot on either).
Loomis has the whole package as a lead player in modern metal for my money.
Hell, he's the whole package as far as both rhythm and lead playing really.

Guess I must be strange in that I hear A LOT of melody and great phrasing in pretty much all Loomis' solos.
Too me, someone playing only a few notes but in the style of perhaps BB King over the top of Nevermore would be FAR more wankish than just playing what fits the song.
His vibrato is absolutely insane and what he plays in his solos puts any so called "feel" guitarist to complete, utter shame.
Wanna talk about terrible phrasing and note choice, let's talk Rusty Cooley, Kirk Hammett and Francesco Fareri. Hell, only one of those guys can even pull off decent vibrato (and sometimes Cooley is not spot on either).
Loomis has the whole package as a lead player in modern metal for my money.
Hell, he's the whole package as far as both rhythm and lead playing really.

Agreed about Loomis. I hear a TON of melody and creativity in his solos. It's not all blistering arpeggios. There's plenty of slow, melodic phrasing and great vibrato.

Have you listened to Diminishing Between Worlds though, seriously.......srsly

I have both DBW and Polarity. I like both albums quite a bit. Polarity seems more proggy and lead oriented, where DBW is more tech death, but still with plenty of cool leads.

Either way, Decrepit Birth features some awesome guitar playing. Really like the guitar playing on Levi / Werstler's Avalanche of Worms album too.

Just wanna throw this one in here, see what people think.......Blasphemer from Mayhem

Great guitar player. I love the stuff he did for Mayhem. Writes very weird stuff but is filled with atmosphere. Bowed out of Mayhem in style with Ordo.
Also, Ihsahn is well worth a mention too.

Yes. Plus, you'll hear a lot of people claiming that it sounds suspiciously good for a live album....if you know what I mean....;).
Either way as far as the combination speed/tightness/stamina goes, he is the best IMO. But obviously there's more to playing rhythm guitar than that.

If you watch the Alive in Athens DVD, that shit is full of overdubs. Really obvious ones too, like the notes going lower as the guitarists' hands move up on the neck, staccato notes replacing bends, etc. I remember Schaffer really didn't wanna release the DVD of the show, saying it wasn't "high quality" enough or something - seems to me this was the real reason.

If you watch the Alive in Athens DVD, that shit is full of overdubs. Really obvious ones too, like the notes going lower as the guitarists' hands move up on the neck, staccato notes replacing bends, etc. I remember Schaffer really didn't wanna release the DVD of the show, saying it wasn't "high quality" enough or something - seems to me this was the real reason.

Or it was simply bad video editing...We'll never know.

Matt

Kimon is Greek. Saying anything bad about Iced Earth to him is just as bad as trash talking Manowar to a German ;)

Its just something you don't do :D hahahaha

Jeff's thick-ass picks contribute to his tone a lot as well:

23412150012.jpg

http://shop.jimdunlop.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=277&IID=873

Hmm, I've been using the purple Tortex 1.14mm picks for quite a while now. I find it hard to use anything lighter than that.
I should grab me some of those 1.5mm white picks Aaron posted, see how those feel.

Matt

Kimon is Greek. Saying anything bad about Iced Earth to him is just as bad as trash talking Manowar to a German ;)

Its just something you don't do :D hahahaha

Haha:D...I'll admit that there was a time when I was obsessed with Iced Earth but not anymore. I still love their older albums but from "something wicked" and on they started on a downward spiral and anything they put out after Owens joined (including the new stuff with Barlow) is pure crap IMO.

I have both the green tortex and white sharps here. The greens have a great 'hwack' to their attack, but the sharps are just plain violent. The jazz iiis are almost useless for rhythm, loved em for years though.