rock bands that can play as well as metal bands

I agree, with regard to musicianship metal is one of the most challenging genres of modern, electric-based music. Without a doubt. For example, many 'rock' bands around today could never physically pull off many metal songs, but the other way round wouldn't be a problem.

As far as what rock bands DO measure up to metal musically, I'm sure there are many. Pure 'rock' is not the type of stuff I ever listen to really, so it's hard to say specific examples. Rock overall is more simplistic than a lot of metal I would agree, but equally that isn't the sole yhing of importance. Many rock bands make great music, regardless of extreme musical skill (the same can be said of some bands in metal as well, specifically some traditional heavy metal and black metal).

I don't know about modern rock bands. But Rush were good enough to play metal songs. And I must admit that Led Zeppelin probably could have, even though I very much dislike the band.

Fuel has some decent talent. Their songwriter is their guitarist so they are very guitar oriented.

Pink Floyd could do have done it. David Gilmour is a guitar God.

That's really the only bands I can think of as I don't listen to much "rock" except the old "Back in Black" CD by AC/DC once in a while.

Bryant

GUns and ROses- easily could have played metal
Van Halen
Deep Purple
Genesis
Iron Butterfly- sort of proto metal
Im sure Cream- or Clapton could have played metal, same with Zappa, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc.

Whoever said Fuel: LOL YOU SUCK

Here's some bands who rock (or rocked) like no other:

Minus the Bear
Sweep the Leg Johnny
Open Hand
At the Drive-In
The Dismemberment Plan

Oh yeah, Minus the Bear would destroy most metal bands in regards to talent with ease.

Ummm, I disagree. Sure, some modern mainstream rock groups may lack talent, but so do modern mainstream metal groups. I've never once come under the impression that metal musicians were, as a whole, more talented than rock musicians. Look at groups like King Crimson, Rush, Hawkwind, Yes, Queen, Genesis, Ted Nugent, Cream, Van Halen, Ac Dc, The Eagles, Budgie......those people could play.

Metal isn't all that technical all the time - Maiden, Priest, Metallica, all these bands use pretty simplistic repetitive riffs. I can play most of this stuff on the guitar without too many problems. Now try playing "Thick As A Brick" by Jethro Tull or something by DIre Straits - that shit is a lot more technical than "Seek And Destroy" or "Two Minutes To Midnight". The Doors could probably blow away most metal bands technically as well.

Kashmir is a danish band which has put out pretty good albums, especially Zitilites. I'm sure they could outplay more than a dozen metal bands I know.
Then, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists could probably outsing any metal singer ever.

Apart from that lots of indie-rock bands play very skillfully.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Metal isn't all that technical all the time - Maiden, Priest, Metallica, all these bands use pretty simplistic repetitive riffs. I can play most of this stuff on the guitar without too many problems. Now try playing "Thick As A Brick" by Jethro Tull or something by DIre Straits - that shit is a lot more technical than "Seek And Destroy" or "Two Minutes To Midnight". The Doors could probably blow away most metal bands technically as well.

yeah but i dunno about most rock people bangin their way through something by Meshuggah or Opeth or Nile or something like that.

King Crimson (were metal at times)
Rush(Caress of Steel was pretty metal)
Hawkwind
Yes
Led Zeppelin
Genesis
Cream(I consider them early Metal)
Van Halen(same as above)
AC DC(and above!)
Kansas
Jethro Tull

as a general statement, most classic prog bands could play as well/outdo current metal bands

TakinTheMusicBack said:

Generalizing metal into an example containing 3 bands is kind of desperate. A lot of metal is technical, and while some also is not, as a whole, metal is one of the most musically superior and technically superior genres probably to ever exist.

The Doors are great.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Generalizing metal into an example containing 3 bands is kind of desperate. A lot of metal is technical, and while some also is not, as a whole, metal is one of the most musically superior and technically superior genres probably to ever exist.

The Doors are great.
Yeah. Read the first line of my post again. This time see the words "isn't" and"all the time". Or perhaps I should read your post selectively, thus:

"Generalizing metal into an example containing 3 bands is kind of desperate. Metal is technical, metal is the most musically superior and technically superior genre ever."

See? ;)

Yeah, but you generalized the ENTIRE genre of metal into 3 bands, and used the term "all the time", as if those three bands are representative of the entire metal underground. WHATEVER.