Rod Tyler at his best

Which of these did Rod do the best on?

• Total voters
I voted for Shades Of Grey, but A Lesson Before Dying was a close one. I think normally A Lesson Before Dying would be it for me, but I'm in a bummed out mood so Shades Of Grey and sappy songs like that do it for me.

defenetly 'A lesson before dying' I love that song...

Oh and whoever thinks that Rod Tylers version of masquerade (well origial Version) sounds better would be right if they heard that CD first... but for fans like me who started off with liek the odyssey, Divine Wings, Twilight, Damnation Game you start to wonder how anyone can be so good, and because you get so used to hearing him you to listen to the self-titled album and Rod Tyler sounds i dunno, ba dcompared too Russell (although he aint bad at all)

To me, the two versions of Masquerade are so different they really can't be compared that easily...not only the vocalists but the arrangements are completely different, as well as the production techniques and synths being used.

Its great to see that there actually are some people that like ST. Its an episode in their history just as much as any other album (if not the most important). I think the songwriting definately is up there in the same class as the other, and I have never really understood the whole "bashing Tyler" thing. I mean when i hear Absinth and Rue, after the intro where Rod enters "In your time of dying...". It would be the same feeling if heard someone else sing it, he's part of that song.

However, it would be great to hear how they (SyX) would play it nowadays, with new production, arragements, Russel and new improvisations. Not as a recompensation (unsure about the choice of word), but rather showing their evolution.

Do you share this view?

Remakes would be very cool. But in some ways, I think I'd end up having to consider them almost different songs entirely, the same way I do the two Masquerades, which is why I think the re-titling on the Odyssey version is so appropriate.

I've actually never rated a band's debut album higher than I did this one. On ProgArchives I gave it 3 out of an available 5 stars...I mean, most bands seem to get a much rougher start in terms of their songwriting and playing abilities, whereas Symphony X jumped in just about ready to go. Shockingly enough considering where they were to begin with, they HAVE actually improved in playing abilities and songwriting, but they were very good to begin with.

I'd actually like to hear more of Rod Tyler, I wonder what he's doing now.

And the debut album actually kicked some major ass! I can listen to it just as easily as their others.

NoSoup4you said:
I'd actually like to hear more of Rod Tyler, I wonder what he's doing now.

Well, as Jax said...either in this thread or another one, the answer is, the band doesn't know. And somehow I don't think Rod's going to post here and tell us (though it is fun to imagine! :loco: ).

And the debut album actually kicked some major ass! I can listen to it just as easily as their others.

THANK YOU! ;)

Its fair enough to say that Rod Tyler and ST both have their own spot in the symphony X catalogue, and it would be nice to see maybe Rod Tyler and Russell Allen sing together for a song... Although that would be very interesing id have no idea how it would work. But I am in favor for a remake, I still say theys hould include the original with it. The re-make is in my opinnion no way trying to disrespect Rod Tyler, just continuing/revitalizing what he once did. 'IF' they would reamke the Album it too would have its own special place in the catalogue...

Maybe someone should just go through a New Jersey area phonebook and call every Rod Tyler in there. It worked for Shooby "The Human Horn" Taylor!

If I were him, I don't think I'd be keeping a listed phone number. I don't think I'd want random people calling my house! I mean, some people would be nice--but there are some people that are just scary, hence the need for an unlisted number.

I'm listening to the album for the first time in... I don't know... 2 years, maybe? I have to say the music is much better than I remembered, but as for Rod, I'd have to vote for Into the Dementia :p