Rod Tyler at his best

Which of these did Rod do the best on?

• Total voters

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
Yeah, I know I'm a little late with this thread, but I had to.

I'm just interested in seeing what song on Symphony X people think Rod Tyler did the best job on, and if anybody has any thoughts about why.

Notice that "None of the above" is NOT an option here. If you hate Rod that much, don't vote. ;)

I voted for "Shades of Grey" because I think there, Rod's doing something that really matches his voice. He seems more comfortable singing, and I gotta admit, sentimental sap that I am, the chorus pulls my heartstrings. Plus...um...I do a LOT better singing along with this stuff than Russell Allen's.

"Absinthe and Rue" was a close second. There's actually a pretty cool Arabesque-sounding thing that Rod does on the line "Through the windows in my mind..." that proves he can in fact sing. I was actually really surprised when I heard that bit, after the bad rap Rod had gotten in the things I'd read about that album.

I'm listening to that song now...

BTW, I checked the SymX FAQ for this question and didn't find it...so I'll ask now.

What is Rod doing now? Is he still in music or has he got another job? Or does anybody even know about that?

Rod Tyler has a certain charm that Allen doesn't... of course Russell is overall just a better singer though.

I think sometimes, Rod just seems a little more...human. ;)

Judging from voices, anyway...I'd imagine both are cool guys.

Rose Immortal said:
I'm listening to that song now...

BTW, I checked the SymX FAQ for this question and didn't find it...so I'll ask now.

What is Rod doing now? Is he still in music or has he got another job? Or does anybody even know about that?

Last time MJR & I discussed it, he said he didn't know what Rod was up to, as he hadn't had any recent contact with him..

Yeah, I guess that happens over time. Having grown up as a military kid, I can't count the number of people I dropped out of contact with over the years--many times not even meaning to.