Romeo Guitar Info?

Fribbit04

New Metal Member
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
Hey all first post here. I recently got into Symphony X (and took 2 of my friends and Dad with me, in fact all 4 of us are going to see them in Chicago Nov 24th!!)

Anyways, I've searched the forums and used google and couldn't find anything on this. I just want to know some things about Romeo...

1. What does he tune to?

2. In the Odyssey, the clean part in the beginning (kind of) does he fingerpick that? Or "chickenpick"?

3. Is there a site that lists his gear? I have this instructional video of him (you all probably know it, it where he goes all nuts on the guitar and I'm like :OMG: and he just says "Hey I'm Michael Romeo") and he uses ESP and EMG's.

4. And finally his tapping, I see he uses his index finger for the big tapping runs, and instead of tapping hard and just lifting off, he kind of flicks his finger off, right?

Thanks all, after getting into SX about a month ago I have 4 of their CD's, and Romeo is a demigod under Rhoads.

where to begin hehe

1-he tunes D standard all the time

2-i cant say that i have seen but judging from the sound i would say finger style

3-the official site will document everything he uses but i can tell u he uses an ESP M-II Deluxe and Engl Amps, Tri Axis+ Carvin Power Amp, Line 6 Vetta

4-i dont know what u mean by "flicks his finger" but he does tap hard to let the note come out, its just that it doesnt look like it and he does it very fast

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
where to begin hehe

1-he tunes D standard all the time

2-i cant say that i have seen but judging from the sound i would say finger style

3-the official site will document everything he uses but i can tell u he uses an ESP M-II Deluxe and Engl Amps, Tri Axis+ Carvin Power Amp, Line 6 Vetta

4-i dont know what u mean by "flicks his finger" but he does tap hard to let the note come out, its just that it doesnt look like it and he does it very fast

Aw thanks a lot! No more tuning guitar to D just for Bodom... and any idea when the site will be back up? I know it's just tour dates right now.

And I know it's hard to explain, but take like Kirk Hammett, during One you can see him just use his middle finger and go down then up. Romeo it looks like he's going down, then kinda to the side, a little bend.

Fribbit04 said:
Aw thanks a lot! No more tuning guitar to D just for Bodom... and any idea when the site will be back up? I know it's just tour dates right now.

And I know it's hard to explain, but take like Kirk Hammett, during One you can see him just use his middle finger and go down then up. Romeo it looks like he's going down, then kinda to the side, a little bend.

Thats because Hammett sucks and doesnt know how to tap :). The way Romeo is doing it is the "correct" way, only it looks a little different cause of how he chooses to do it. When you tap you gotta do a "pull off" the same way you would with just your left hand playing legato. The only difference is that instead of curling his finger inward to execute the pull off he does that little "flick" you mentioned.