Romeo on Guitar World's "Fastest Players"...

I hear ya Meedley but he has put together some smokin leads and I was surprised because he did none with Creed (that I ever heard). He seems to have his own kind of thing on that first AB CD... on this second one that I dont really like as much Ive been getting the feeling hes been paying attention to Petrucci ?

About the speed thing, I find it just amazing that someone can do 12 NPS... seems kinda impossible... no ? Let alone 18... like how do you manage to squeeze 3 more notes in a second to be faster then the likes of Yngwie or DiMeola, correct me if Im wrong but isnt that 20%... 18 vs 15 ? When I checked out Lane I was a bit set back by what I heard and saw (youtube). Hey... Im happy if I can get 4 notes in a second and two of them are good...... lol

Now this brings me to something I have wondered for years. What are these lightning notes on paper ? 64ths ? 128ths ? I mean what the hell ? How many bars on the top of those notes ?

Jeff is really correct as well, guitar playing in rock has been damn near always been about speed, everyone has always tried to shred. Hendrix, then came Pages Heartbreaker solo and on and on and on. Curious guitar players should try to locate and download a copy of "Sleeping for Years" by Atomic Rooster ('70-'71) and hear John Du Cann doing his damndest to rip up that guitar... some of its still pretty impressive. Its always been about the shreddin and little tricks as well as expression... even back to the jazz and country players... even horn and sax players... hell it reachs back to violinists and piano players. Myself I still like the blues as much as anything else.

His chops are ok (though I do get the impression of synchronization issues at times), his leads just don't come together at all for me. His phrasing is choppy and he generally lacks structure to my ears. He writes great guitar parts a lot of the time and arranges things very well. It almost seems as though he's aiming farther than he can shoot in the sense that he's overly excited that after years of being Stapp's bitch in Creed he can finally do more of what he wants and wants to solo as much as possible simply because he can now (interviews I've read support this theory). His songwriting has improved a lot IMO and I'm sure his lead playing will follow suit eventually. BTW, he is friends with Petrucci (and Cooley for that matter...whom he's gotten a lot of technique advice from). He's also got a healthy fear/respect for Govan, so we know he at least has a good head on his shoulders (or a basic survival instinct).

NPS is something that's very easy to underestimate. 12 NPS is equal to sixteenth-note triplets at 120 bpm or sixteenth notes at 180 bpm which, especially with basic scalar patterns, isn't an unreasonable goal.

So... who is Cooley ?

I still cant imagine doing four triplets in a second even if it was straight up the scale doing hammer on's... but thats me, not worth talking about.

I know what you mean about Tremontis structure but there was something on that first disc, somewhere in there than made me hesitate for a minute in disbelief. Something told my ear it was an easy position though, like (mostly) all half steps across strings (two finger stuff)... with maybe some chromatic going on... I'd have to locate it and play it a few times but its smokin and gets the attention quick. I'm hearing some pretty good feel/expression going on at times in this new one but then heading off rather than following through, not like... but Eddie did that alot. Jumping licks... maybe? I dont imagine Tremontis tenderoni (young) anymore so I dont expect much more... what ever it is... lol... maybe just maturity, consolidation... if he can survive the changing tide, which may be doubtful being as hes on the more commercial end and already had his day. The last disc is growing on me.

Id like to have this guy do a count on Puleo, maybe the studio solo piece of Souveniers at around 5:40, it might be alot of hammers though, many places in that entire piece are screamin' with great underlying melody and continuity... (Puleo fanboi that I am.. lol)

Rusty Cooley's playing bores me to tears.

This is about speed, not taste, but fwiw Cooley's playing on the Outworld cd is fantastic imo...

I find this completely ridiculous. Who cares how fast a guitarist can play? These aren't sports statistics... guitar playing is all about feeling, which is subjective.

you could say running is about feeling fit and happy, yet people still respect the fastest amongst them... :mad:

1.) It's just for fun.
2.) I only mentioned it because Romeo was mentioned, and it's nice to see him get some recognition for his awesome chops.

Playing fast is fun. Yeah, it's not the end-all of musical abilities, but come on... this is a heavy metal forum. Fast guitar playing is talked about from time to time.

huge +1 to everything here Jeff! :kickass:

Rusty Cooley. Has some solo stuff, and a band called Outworld. His chops are unbelievable. I here he's a really nice guy, too. To be honest, I'm not crazy about his playing, but I don't dislike it either. You should check him out.

This is a video of his 'betcha can't play this' from the March GW, I'm trying to learn it at the moment... Whilst not being his most musical piece of shredding, it certainly highlights why he should not be left out of a 'FASTEST guitar player' listing... :yow:

And I'm not interested in debating with those who will no doubt respond with zomg tats n0t geetar playing, gtar s ab0ut fEEl, not spEEd!!11! as this IS about speed... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: that part there... where he plays it real slow ?.... ya.... thats me

Oh, ya? You see the part where he's just holding the guitar before playing? Yeah, that's me...

I find it funny that some ppl in this thread are talking about how guitar playing is about feeling. This was not a discussion about who the best guitarists are, but about who the fastests guitarists are. This has already been explained, really, but I just thought I'd say that anyway.

Oh, ya? You see the part where he's just holding the guitar before playing? Yeah, that's me...

I find it funny that some ppl in this thread are talking about how guitar playing is about feeling. This was not a discussion about who the best guitarists are, but about who the fastests guitarists are. This has already been explained, really, but I just thought I'd say that anyway.

exactly.