say something about ... yourself!

Yeah, I'm with you. I dislike the cynical exploitation of the "geek dollar", for lack of a better expression, but I like quite a few of them.

It's a losing battle though. Ripping off 'innocent' fanboys has always been an art, and custom shoes the newest expression (we metalheads are hardly sacrosanct - though I have a hard time imagining not punching someone wearing these things).

We can simultaneously thank and be terrified by the internet's power to let 'them suits' know what we aren't instantly repulsed by.

*shudder*

Well, a fair amount of us who mope around here a bit out there, but generally speaking. Every "unique Geek" is a carbon copy of the next one.

With a bit of genetic drift thrown in for good measure.

I'd hate to use one of Friedman's analogies, but the world is becoming flatter, and with it, freak flags are becoming much easier to spot over the shoulders of the masses. It takes a truly strong freak to wave that flag proudly, and frankly, with the continued pussification of society (thanks, Carlin), I don't think there are nearly as many up to the challenge.

Which is why, on the internet, all the truly freaky shit goes on in the anonymous jungles of 4chan.

The deranged geniuses are out there, but I can't image they surf the app store on their iPhones.

I still feel like I did pre-ubiquitousness of the internet - most people are (frankly!) boring, not all that smart and (give or take) fairly conformist, whether they admit it or not. The internet just happens to allow all those people a space be their bland-ass selves.

We're embracing mediocrity daily as the vapid voices of the vacant millions drown out the few truly interesting ones. I'm not even elitist, which hopefully makes that sound slightly less harsh.

Are suddenly mainstreamed subcultures more homogenized now than they were when they were underground?

How much is your perception of these subcultures influenced by the deluge of marketing aimed at them by the mainstream?

Is there necessarily a correlation between "brilliance" and "weirdness?"

Just for the record, concerning the actually interesting, and/or freaky, anti-flag, or not, fetishizing, or not, worthwhile minds, or not...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

This is easily one of the most interesting web pages on the internet. Poke around have fun.

Some of my favorites:

I Am A Male Stripper, AMA (that first comment, response to 'strangest story', is one of the best stories I've read on the internet, ever)

I am a Grammy Award-winning career musician who has been actively playing and recording for almost three decades. AMA.

IAMA former Director-General of the World Trade Organisation, AMA (particularly regarding globalization).

I killed a man for hire sixteen years ago. Now, after serving my time in prison, I'm a happy family man. AMA.

How much is your perception of these subcultures influenced by the deluge of marketing aimed at them by the mainstream?
"

One of the upsides of this spread of knowledge is that, regardless of the dilution of said knowledge (and complete non-corrolation of said knowledge to wisdom), people are becoming more savvy of marketing techniques and attempts to manipulate at that level.

Positively everyone is aware of viral techniques at this point, and thus in order for this sort of marketing to be effective, it has to be so goddamn clever that people are willing to take the jump and spread it.

It's always been my grapple with marketing that the best of it is so creative and clever that it's impressive beyond it's primary purpose of manipulation. The other side of the coin is that no matter how creative and clever it is still, it's primary purpose is manipulation.

I think you're giving slightly too much credit to people at large. Sometimes it can feel like everyone uses the internet as much as you/I do, but that's simply not true.

My farts smells like pumpkins
emot-ohdear-1.png