say something about ... yourself!

Sp, long story short (I'll post details later), the day after my last radio show my boss calls me into his office to let me know they've effectively eliminated my full time position here at this company. So, I'm out a job come May.

Anyone in the northwest need a web/graphic designer? I have solid experience and excellent references :)

Definitely. I've been smiling since I found out :)

It's a chance to cut ties cleanly and neatly and harmlessly and set off for new adventures.

They've created two new positions in the restructuring and are very much encouraging me to apply for them, but I don't think I will. My gut tells me it's time to move on.

Definitely. I've been smiling since I found out :)

It's a chance to cut ties cleanly and neatly and harmlessly and set off for new adventures.

They've created two new positions in the restructuring and are very much encouraging me to apply for them, but I don't think I will. My gut tells me it's time to move on.

I'm all about throwing caution to the wind and setting off for new adventures (it's what I live my life by), however, you may want to think about this right now. Are you financially able to sustain yourself without a job for 6 months to a year? Not saying it will take you that long to find one, but it's a possibility.

These days good jobs are hard to come by...you should probably think hard on this one.

Overthinking things has always been my greatest weakness. LIfe got easier once I stopped analyzing everything and just going with the flow. Of course I'll think about it, but my gut's never let me down. Plus, I bitch about this company all the time and a new job with more money wouldn't fix the things I don't like about it.

Plus, I encourage change. I see this as an opportunity to send my life into any direction I want. The sky's the limit. THAT is what I'm going to think about.

I've never lived outside of Washington State. Could be fun!

I got time, I'm not worried.

I should probably tell my parents eventually though. They'll make damn sure I stress out about it.

Overthinking things has always been my greatest weakness. LIfe got easier once I stopped analyzing everything and just going with the flow.

As someone who over analyzes everything in my life, I don't understand how you can suddenly stop doing this.

I know I seem like a simple minded guy, but I go over every interaction and occurrence hundreds of times in a short time frame and just think about every aspect of everything. I'm not high. How can I stop doing this?

Whenever you find yourself overthinking something, just say "whatever" (I'm serious, actually say it), and let whatever will happen happen. I may have my share of issues, but fortunately overthinking and overworrying ain't one of 'em.

What did it for me was just getting tired of the stress it caused to constantly think about "what-ifs" and play out these entire scenarios in my head and how they'll most likely pan out and being dead wrong in the end ALWAYS. I just decided I wasn't going to do that anymore and take everything at face value for what it is.

Like Max said, saying "whatever" and just moving onto something else is really all it takes. You have to be open to the idea that things are going to happen the way they're going to happen, whether you think too hard about it or not. What is, is. Don't beat yourself up trying to change that.

Well, only you know what's right for you. I know exactly how you feel though...I was in your same place towards the end of my time in the military.

If I could be permitted just one more piece of advice: since you've got time, go see what else is out there outside the US. You're at a crossroads in your life and if it's feasible to do now, jump on it because you may never get the same chance again. You're big into hiking and backpacking and there are tons of travel packages all over Europe for very little cost. I think you'd really enjoy it and you seem to be of the mind to appreciate it.

I hope to do so my friend. Anytime I see Norway my heart melts and I almost tear up. I hate that I was born in this desert.

Right now I'm still trying to get my living situation in order. I know I'm missing out on all kinds of crazy things, even Chicago felt alien.

John, I'm responsible and analyze things when it comes to 'life' (job, bills, house etc) but at the same time I am spontaneous and goes with the flow with anything. Two extremes in one.
I think it's important to be responsible and mature about 'life matters' but also important to know how to let go and be worry-free.
I think that for me, letting go is easier when I think about what's the worst thing that could happen?? I always think about it: "whats the worst thing that could happen"
once I know what is the absolute worst, I let go, because the 'absolute worst' almost never happens... and if it does: you're already 'analyzed' it and know how to handle it.
makes sense?
Being independent is a huge factor as well: much like in Kevin's case, he is independent enough to not have to worry about 'where life will take him' because he would handle it, wherever he will go.

Kev, good luck! :)
I have 100% faith in you, that you would do great in anything you'd put your mind into. I am no worried about you at all :)