say something about ... yourself!

Pies and Pints tonight! They have sweet potato fries and that sounds ultratasty right about now :kickass:

You know you wanna come too, Karen.

On Saturday Derick and I are going to a burger place that makes their own black bean & corn veggie burgers. Derick will get it for sure but I'm almost tempted to get it as well. Then again, I want MEAT. And they have sweet potato fries. Shakes, but no malts. I'll just bring my own malt to stir in lol. Burger + sweet potato fries + malt = perfect :kickass:

On Saturday Derick and I are going to a burger place that makes their own black bean & corn veggie burgers. Derick will get it for sure but I'm almost tempted to get it as well. Then again, I want MEAT. And they have sweet potato fries. Shakes, but no malts. I'll just bring my own malt to stir in lol. Burger + sweet potato fries + malt = perfect :kickass:

nooooooooooo you have to get a MEATBURGER

also they make their own root beer so I'll order that.

AND FRIED PICKLES

I dunno if you've tried them yet or not Derick, but I had a fried pickle recently and was very disappointed. It was unremarkable completely. May have just as well eaten a normal pickle.

Norway could be as broke as we are and I would still want to go. I don't know. I feel drawn to it. Metal aside, forget Borknagar, forget Vortex, I would still want to go. I wish I knew Norwegian instead of Japanese. It looks ridiculously easy to learn for an English speaker.

Karen-I see your point, however I often imagine the worse that could happen and then it DOES happen. I've been doing what Max said said though. "Whatever". It's truly a great piece of advice.

You know japanese? damn thats awesome haha, I wish I knew that. Not only do they have badass martial arts, culture and insanely hot women but the language sounds like it'd be hella hard to learn so thats cool you actually dedicated enough time to learn it.

I want video proof of John having a conversation with someone in Japanese. I'm not callin' John a liar by any means, but Japanese is not the easiest language to learn and well.... I just kinda need to see it to believe it.

I want video proof of John having a conversation with someone in Japanese. I'm not callin' John a liar by any means, but Japanese is not the easiest language to learn and well.... I just kinda need to see it to believe it.

Yeah I've heard it's reallyyy hard to learn because it's just not as straight forward as a lot of the more simple languages they teach in school like French and Spanish. I took French a few years and barely paid attention and I did decently and still know some to this day and I know a little bit of German but I doubt I'll ever use the French haha; something like Japanese I'd definitely want to use and try out just because it sounds so intense and badass and complex.

The thing is, I took Japanese in Johnston Middle School. I'm not full blown fluent, but I can hold my own.

It's not as hard as it seems. Everything ends in A I U E O or N. (Ah, Eee, Ooo, Ey, Oh, nnn)

Example. "Wakarimasen", which means I don't know or I don't understand.

Wa
Ka
Ri
Ma
Se
N

The whole alphabet is based off that. The only exception is the letter N they tack on to some words.

A I U E O
Ka Ki Ku Ke Ko
Ta Chi Tsu Te To
Ra Ri Ru Re Ro

etc. The last letter of their alphabet(s) is "n".

For the most part everything is pronounced how it's spelled (if you know how the letters sound). There's only a few exceptions. "Desu" is an obviously one. You wouldn't pronounce the "u". If a Japenese person says "Excuse Me" or "Sumimasen" sometimes they might kind of make the first part silent and all you would hear is "Sumasen".

Just a few tidbits.

Japanese is a pain in the ass... I can understand it decent enough, read it "ok" (see shitty but can get through it enough to play some imports) but when I try to speak it I get quizzical looks.

Sure as fuck is easier than Korean and Chinese though... those two languages just stump me. My korean friend tried to teach me the basics for a while, which went fucking no where. Couldn't grasp shit about just the basic speech.

The thing is, I took Japanese in Johnston Middle School. I'm not full blown fluent, but I can hold my own.

It's not as hard as it seems. Everything ends in A I U E O or N. (Ah, Eee, Ooo, Ey, Oh, nnn)

Example. "Wakarimasen", which means I don't know or I don't understand.

Wa
Ka
Ri
Ma
Se
N

The whole alphabet is based off that. The only exception is the letter N they tack on to some words.

A I U E O
Ka Ki Ku Ke Ko
Ta Chi Tsu Te To
Ra Ri Ru Re Ro

etc. The last letter of their alphabet(s) is "n".

For the most part everything is pronounced how it's spelled (if you know how the letters sound). There's only a few exceptions. "Desu" is an obviously one. You wouldn't pronounce the "u". If a Japenese person says "Excuse Me" or "Sumimasen" sometimes they might kind of make the first part silent and all you would hear is "Sumasen".

Just a few tidbits.

Don't forget to mention that there are formal ways to say things. For example, in essence, "O-genki desu ka" and "Genki desu ka" mean the same thing but "O-genki" is used in formal situations. Technically, "Genki desu ka (as John said, the 'u' is generally not pronounced so the phrase would be pronounced as "Genki deska") and "Hajimemashite" (Ha-gee-may-mosh~stay) mean the same thing (along the lines of "How are you?") but "Hajimemashite" is used in situations where you meet someone for the first time.

Also, there are different times and situations where you would use "-san", "-chan" and "-kun" but you would never address yourself as any of them. You would simply say "Watashi wa Steve" (in my case) rather than "Watashi wa Steve-kun" or "Watashi wa Steve-san". Gestures also play a part in communication. For example, you could say "Watashi no biiru desu" ("This is my beer") but if you're reaching for the beer and simply say "Biiru desu", it means the same thing.

My Nihongo is very rusty but from what I remember, yes, it is a very difficult language to learn and you need to use it semi-regularly in order to remain fluent in it. I haven't really spoken any Nihongo in a conversation in at least five years, so about 90% of what I once knew is lost.....and it is not like riding a bike.

ugh, a chick in highschool gave me a nickname where she took part of my last name and added chan to it and thought it was funny; it was pretty wannabe asian and creepy. Still how long would it take to learn japanese or an asian language? some day i'd love to go to thailand or japan.

Japanese is definitly the easiest of Asian languages. I was lucky to have a teacher. The thing is...like...once you understand the alphabet and how words are constructed, it gets really easy.

Think of Japanese like a guitar, not a bass. It starts off hard, and get's easier. Once you understand the basic mechanics and chord shapes, teaching yourself the rest isn't so hard.