say something about ... yourself!

Oh, ok then. I was thinking, "Damn, an automatic weapon? He's starting a goddamned militia!" Yeah I love my M&P. I always choose it over my Glock.

After getting tired of having most of my CDs in boxes hanging out in my room, I went to Target and got another couple racks and a huge shelf/cabinet thing. So now all of my 950? something Cds are on display. If a fire starts sweeping through my neighborhood, I won't be able to just grab a couple boxes on my way out the door...I'll be screwed now with all of my CDs in racks. I'm psyched about this though.

After getting tired of having most of my CDs in boxes hanging out in my room, I went to Target and got another couple racks and a huge shelf/cabinet thing. So now all of my 950? something Cds are on display. If a fire starts sweeping through my neighborhood, I won't be able to just grab a couple boxes on my way out the door...I'll be screwed now with all of my CDs in racks. I'm psyched about this though.

More than likely you'll die from cyanide fumes due to burning jewel cases.

.....so I have a day job now, at this huge company in Bethesda, I'm a contractor/ freelancer for their Marketing Department, aaaaand in the afternoon I do my free-lance stuff, so my social life has been reduced to almost 0. Good times.
Also, this past weekend, except a nice dinner with friends on Saturday, was dedicated to REST and a lot of sleep (I felt weak-ish and drained) so I caught up on my shows (finished TruBlood) and watched a few movies I haven't watched yet:
District 9
Grand Torino
and From Hell

all amazing movies that I really enjoyed. (although the first 2 were the best)

that's it.
Hi.

.....so I have a day job now, at this huge company in Bethesda, I'm a contractor/ freelancer for their Marketing Department, aaaaand in the afternoon I do my free-lance stuff, so my social life has been reduced to almost 0. Good times.
Also, this past weekend, except a nice dinner with friends on Saturday, was dedicated to REST and a lot of sleep (I felt weak-ish and drained) so I caught up on my shows (finished TruBlood) and watched a few movies I haven't watched yet:
District 9
Grand Torino
and From Hell

all amazing movies that I really enjoyed. (although the first 2 were the best)

that's it.
Hi.

Welcome to freelancing! Also known as, "one step from being out on the street"! Sure, the money's great...except for when you have to pay all those taxes at one time and you never have time for anything but eating, preparing things for work, and sometimes sleeping. The money's always good, but it's never steady. I can't wait to hang this up and get a normal job.

well,
I have someone who does my taxes, I do not spend even one minute on that,
and the evening free-lance gig is awesome, it's with my old Art Director who has a huge client list with a lot of work, so for now I can't complain (if anything, I can complain about the amount of work)
and the day job deal started as a contractor, but will develope into a regular full-time employee in a few months. SO for now, it feels great.

Yeah money as a freelancer is freaking sweet indeed.

What do you do, Chris?

well,
I have someone who does my taxes, I do not spend even one minute on that,
and the evening free-lance gig is awesome, it's with my old Art Director who has a huge client list with a lot of work, so for now I can't complain (if anything, I can complain about the amount of work)
and the day job deal started as a contractor, but will develope into a regular full-time employee in a few months. SO for now, it feels great.

Yeah money as a freelancer is freaking sweet indeed.

What do you do, Chris?

Well, I don't do my taxes either; I have an accountant as well. It would be impossible for me to figure all that crap out. What I was saying is that when you're freelance, it's up to you to pay your taxes and you decide when to pay them usually: monthly, quarterly, or yearly...it's not automatic and that can be a pain. I typically do yearly but I'm about to get out of it altogether.

I'm simply a freelance English teacher and get farmed out to different companies from a central institute or I farm myself out. Most of the time it's state-funded courses which pay really well, but it all depends on the funds and time of year and it's never guaranteed. It's typically between 25 and 30 euros per hour, which isn't bad, but the continuity is never there.

For example, with the courses I teach now, I only work 3 hours a day, Mon-Fri. I'd like more but there just isn't anything left during the summer. Sure, I make decent money with it but imagine what I'd make if I were working 6 hours per day...that's 6 TEACHING hours, not all that goes into prep. Between preparation, driving, and teaching, a 12 hour day is normal. That translates to roughly 4000 euros per month, but I'll never see it because it's always staggered; a bit here, a bit there, but never at the same time. I need continuity, which is why in the fall I'm already planning on leaving it forever and go work some mundane blue collar job that gives me 30 days a year paid vacation, 13 paychecks per year, and a steady paycheck. Everyone always says, "But you're such a good teacher and they're in really high demand in Italy!!!!" Yes, they are in really high demand; that is, until Italians realize they have to actually study and work hard to learn English and they just can't do that for some reason. I'm getting out, not because of the job or even the crisis, but because of Italians and their unwillingness to put forth any effort to learn. They talk the talk but can never walk the walk, therefore, language institutes have high rollover and very little continuity.

If you can keep up the freelance work and there's plenty of work to be had, you can make a mint of it. However, when times get tough and no one has money for your services, you're fucked. Just be careful and always keep that in the back of your mind. On paper it always sounds fantastic to be your own boss, make your own hours, work from home, etc. In reality it's not always like that. Just keep it in mind and always keep your options open.

Well, I don't do my taxes either; I have an accountant as well. It would be impossible for me to figure all that crap out. What I was saying is that when you're freelance, it's up to you to pay your taxes and you decide when to pay them usually: monthly, quarterly, or yearly...it's not automatic and that can be a pain. I typically do yearly but I'm about to get out of it altogether.

I'm simply a freelance English teacher and get farmed out to different companies from a central institute or I farm myself out. Most of the time it's state-funded courses which pay really well, but it all depends on the funds and time of year and it's never guaranteed. It's typically between 25 and 30 euros per hour, which isn't bad, but the continuity is never there.

For example, with the courses I teach now, I only work 3 hours a day, Mon-Fri. I'd like more but there just isn't anything left during the summer. Sure, I make decent money with it but imagine what I'd make if I were working 6 hours per day...that's 6 TEACHING hours, not all that goes into prep. Between preparation, driving, and teaching, a 12 hour day is normal. That translates to roughly 4000 euros per month, but I'll never see it because it's always staggered; a bit here, a bit there, but never at the same time. I need continuity, which is why in the fall I'm already planning on leaving it forever and go work some mundane blue collar job that gives me 30 days a year paid vacation, 13 paychecks per year, and a steady paycheck. Everyone always says, "But you're such a good teacher and they're in really high demand in Italy!!!!" Yes, they are in really high demand; that is, until Italians realize they have to actually study and work hard to learn English and they just can't do that for some reason. I'm getting out, not because of the job or even the crisis, but because of Italians and their unwillingness to put forth any effort to learn. They talk the talk but can never walk the walk, therefore, language institutes have high rollover and very little continuity.

If you can keep up the freelance work and there's plenty of work to be had, you can make a mint of it. However, when times get tough and no one has money for your services, you're fucked. Just be careful and always keep that in the back of your mind. On paper it always sounds fantastic to be your own boss, make your own hours, work from home, etc. In reality it's not always like that. Just keep it in mind and always keep your options open.

That's right... I knew that you were a teacher! I just didn't know you did it as a freelancer. Interesting!
It's a bit ironic what you said about Italians and the fact that they wont study hard to learn English.. I know it oh too well. Most of my Italian friends have crappy English, and not that I blame them- after all the TV/movies are all in Italian and the English classes in schools are not that good, but the thing is: they all complain about it.. "oh i wish I could speak better English" well hello? It's the easiest language to learn, it's all over the place!
Sorry things are as hard for you as a teacher :/
What are you thinking of doing next? any ideas?

Well, US taxes are so freaking hard to figure out, of course I can never do them on my own, and I pay taxes monthly and the exact amount that I need , so at the end of the year it's always to the point where I don't owe the IRS anythign and they don't owe me anything- which for me, is PERFECT.
I actually don't like the fact that the IRS ows me money at the end of the year, I call it "poor men's saving account" I much rather pay them exactly what I owe and not have to deal with it later, for better or worst.

My day job now is actually a job.. hah, I'm a contractor but the taxes come off and I get benefits and all the good stuff. For now it's great, I cant complain and who knows what the future will bring, whatever it is, I'm ready for it :)

The frustrating thing about Italians (at least in the north) is that they're really excited and ready to start learning. They pay out of their own pockets, sacrifice their own time, and really start to put forth the effort to learn. Again, they START to put forth the effort. Whenever there's something they don't understand or that they have to work extra hard for, they whine about how hard it is, say it's too hard and ask for something easier. They start out with good intentions but never follow through. Not all, of course, but a lot of them...mainly the older people.

Also, not only is English everywhere, it REALLY IS the easiest language to learn. It's much less complicated than latin-based languages and, like you said, IT'S EVERYWHERE! I live in the north so most people here have a basic understanding of English, so it's never too bad. I rarely do beginner courses, mainly intermediate and advanced. They just can't seem to get over that hump, though. It's not like they can't do it, either. My wife speaks impeccable English and my drummer, who has never even BEEN to an English-speaking country, speaks English better than most native speakers. He doesn't even have an accent. He just studied the lyrics and movies from English speaking artists and directors when he was a kid and took it from there.

The problem with their schools isn't that they don't learn English very well; on the contrary, their grasp of our grammar rules is typically much better than our own. The problem is that they never get the opportunity to practice it, and when they do, everything's already dubbed. Italy's slowly moving away from the dubbing, but there's still a choice. Of course, older people will never be able to speak English very well...once you hit a certain age, you can't teach a dog new tricks. The younger crowd, at least in the north, are much better and much more tuned-in. However, it's still not enough to make me stay. I'm very involved in my work and I take great care in giving the best I can to my students, and when they don't do it in return, I'd rather stay home.

However, at least Italians WANT to learn English...I couldn't imagine being an English teacher in France. The French typically have no desire whatsoever to learn English or any other language for that matter.

I've realized that there is much more opportunity to work for a company AS A MOTHER TONGUE in English, rather than to teach them...it makes you much more valuable because they can just hire you to do the work for them. You have to start out low on the totem pole, but just enough to understand how everything works. Typically they move you into an international position and sometimes even send you abroad for meetings and such. I'm planning on getting just a regular old factory job as soon as they start hiring again. I always highlight my expertise and let them know that I'm willing to smelt iron for a while until I get to know the place, and then we can see where to move me from there. Many people do that.

I actually don't like the fact that the IRS ows me money at the end of the year, I call it "poor men's saving account" I much rather pay them exactly what I owe and not have to deal with it later, for better or worst.

Paying them exactly what I owe does sound good in theory, but I really do enjoy that tax return every year. Hooray for being POOR!

The best thing is when there is no money.
I spent a lot of time this weekend considering what life/society would be like without any currency.

I think it would change the entire way people interact with each other.

ALso, wb... high five to new day jobs! I start mine a week from today.

I am free from radio!!! ::radiofreedance:: ::radiofreedance::

I spent a lot of time this weekend considering what life/society would be like without any currency.

I think it would change the entire way people interact with each other.

In Zeitgeist 2 they touch on that towards the end. Apparently there is a big community of people who are trying to eliminate currency, and they touch on some good points. However, mankind is selfish and lazy, and eventually I see someone fucking over someone else about 5 minutes after it's put in place.

Thanks SB :)
It's nice to be 'busy' again, I love it!

what is your new job?? Tell me all about it!!!
Entry level IT/Help Desk at F5 Networks. This company is seriously kicking ass right now. My jiu-jitsu instructor has worked there for a few years and referred me when I told him my job at Entercom was being eliminated. I had an interview and they ended up hiring someone else, but now they decided they need more people, so they offered me a position also. It's just a contract for right now, but it could turn into full time very easily.

It's closer to the water with even better views than we have here at Entercom, they have Free Beer Fridays every week, everyone there is rad and I will be learning tech stuff while getting paid WAY more than I make at Entercom.

I'm pretty excited :)