say something about ... yourself!

I get it. This will be my 4th Christmas away from home in a row, and I gotta say I'd like to spend it at home, but we can't this year.

Czech Christmas is OK, though. Except the food. That blows. What do you eat in Romania?

I will have been living here for a year now on December 1st. Last year I was working on Christmas Eve and spent my Christmas at home alone with a pie and talking to my parents on Skype. Haven't seen the Czech way of enjoying Christmas yet so to say...

Sadly(for me), as far as Czech cuisine is concerned, I noticed they are huge fans of pork (maso?)- a trait common among most Slavic countries and Romania as well as Hungary brushed off it. So..a typical traditional Romanian Christmas meal includes pork chops/steak, fried sausages with horseradish dip, mashed potatoes and pickles. In the sweets category you have 'cozonac' (sweet bread with turkish delight or dried fruit) and 'pasca' (cheesecake). We wash it down with wine or beer, and tuica/palinca-traditional alcoholic beverages.

How about the Scots? :D

Edit: Unrelated, but living here has taken huge tolls on my English.. was surprised to notice even most of the youth barely speak English.

Czech Christmas isn't so bad. They usually eat fried carp with potato salad (smazeny kapr a bramborovy salat), but I'm vegetarian so we usually have soya schnitzel and potato salad. It's not so bad. They drink an inordinate amount too. I'm 100% cool with that, though.

Well, Christmas was illegal in Scotland until the 1950s (a religious thing) and so we celebrated New Year instead. With the rise of globalisation we just stole the English/American Christmas in the 60s and 70s and so now we do exactly the same things they do, and eat the same things too. Turkey, vegetables, potatoes, "Xmas" cake. We still get really crazy about New Year, though.

Oh and yeah, I think it's something to do with the Czechs being very insular (compared to the nations around them, they rarely move anywhere) and I think it means many of the young people don't see English as so terribly important. I've actually heard it's worse over that side of the country, but it's hardly great here. I've noticed that younger kids (10-14) are as good if not better than those who are say 18-25, so I think it's maybe changing.

Went to this studio today. Mind was blown. Would love to record here but can't afford it. Had to do some voiceovers for a non-musical project I'm working on and it made me wanna write songs right then and there.

http://www.blackmirrorstudios.com/index_eng.html

This studio is like an hour from my house and it's full of bands here, yet they insist on going to other countries to record and spending 10,000 euros on an album when they could do it right here for less than half that. I'm convinced bands do that shit just to say, "We went to Finland to record" and such bullshit.

Went to this studio today. Mind was blown. Would love to record here but can't afford it. Had to do some voiceovers for a non-musical project I'm working on and it made me wanna write songs right then and there.

This studio is like an hour from my house and it's full of bands here, yet they insist on going to other countries to record and spending 10,000 euros on an album when they could do it right here for less than half that. I'm convinced bands do that shit just to say, "We went to Finland to record" and such bullshit.

like when Darkest Hour went to Sweden and worked with Fredrik Nordstrom on the "Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation" album from 2002. I'd say it was more of a positive thing because that's the best Darkest Hour imo...raw, full of a ton of energy, swedish as hell...it's like the metalcore version of The Crown plus Anders Bjorler, Michael Amott and Tomas Lindberg were on some tracks.

wow, that looks fantastic!

you pretty much just said "its like the shitty version of The Crown"

+1