say something about ... yourself!

I have just commenced hell week at work. Our corporate office is moving on Friday and all the network shit has to be moved over last minute. I was there until 10:30pm tonight moving the VPN tunnels for each store to the new server. One store at a time. Fuck, I didnt even get 1/4 of them done tonight. Friday is going to be the worst when we break down the servers and move them. We can't start that until 10PM Friday night.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale. It derives from the British occupation of India, when shipments of beer across long distances took a lot of time requiring an ale which could travel well. The beer was brewed especially strong to make it worthwhile, and became a hit amongst the tea traders and expats.

American IPA is different (less flat) than the British original, and has become a hoppy beast of it's own, becoming a favorite of we West Coasters for whatever reason. I've found that in many cases, the more you get into beer the more you gravitate toward the high alcohol, hoppy, flavorful big beers, and thus the allure of the IPA.

Brewers have a lot of fun with them--see:Lagunitas--and there's always a great deal of subtlety in the brew.
If I see a big bold IPA flashing at me in the menu, I'll probably order it.

tl;dr they get you drunk

My favorites:

916.jpg

beers_hopstoopid_main.jpg

racer5_01.JPG

tricerahopsedit.jpg

w4iy4.jpg

I wouldn't know. I mean, I know what it tastes like but I'm far from being able to rate beer as anything besides bitter, even more bitter, and "holy crap this tastes like the sweat from derek's balls".

I love Hoegaarden...

I've had Rochefort 10, Arrogant Bastard Ale, and some other stuff people reccomended me on here, but nothing came close. I'm looking forward to trying Indian Pale Ale, though!

INDIA Pale Ale. Be careful, you'll get laughed at for calling it "Indian". Just say "IPA" if you forget.

So I met this guy at a bar who claimed he lived in Belgium. He says it's pronounced "Ho-garden". I thought it was "Who-Garden." Can you clear this up Stormo?
Sorry, I missed this. It's definitely "WHO-garden". -oe- in Flemish/Dutch is your -oo- sound. The guy you met at that bar is full of shit.

Actually, it's HoegaArden. Slight upswing on the second vowel. It's very subtle.
wat

Upswing on the second vowel? Who told you that gobbledegook? :D

It's [WHO-gaahr-duhn], /'huːgaːdən/

Fun fact: the phonetic system of symbols I used to write /'huːgaːdən/ is the International Phonetic Alphabet, or IPA. :p

Fun fact: the phonetic system of symbols I used to write /'huːgaːdən/ is the International Phonetic Alphabet, or IPA. :p
is there nothing IPA cant do?

brooks hit up all my regulars there cept dat STONE IPA. same guys that make ARROGANT BASTARD, though the IPA is less bitter with more of the citrus and juniper hop flavor. you see that you GIT IT. but dont confuse it with the ruination, thatd be too much for noob tastebuds.

stoneIPAHor1.jpg

Here's another good one worth trying if you can find it in Texas.

HAB+-+Supergoose+-+Beer+Review.jpg

The ones Brooks listed are the typical delicious standards. Hop Stoopid might be my all time favorite, but I severely dislike Lagunitas's normal IPA. Racer 5 is awesome as well and seems to get me more buzzed even though it's alcohol content lists as average for an IPA. Pliny the Elder is widely regarded as the best IPA ever and it's hard to argue against that proclamation.