say something about ... yourself!

staying at my new apartment tonight for the first time because i have shit to do here... only to have to go back to provi... and then come back here on sunday to begin classes the next day.
this is such a pain in the ass. literally.

Downloaded Corel Painter X for grins and giggles. Can't wait to try it out.

You will love it!!!!! I love the shit out of that program. I will post something into the art thread. I like to scan drawings in and go to town with the digital oils best. Well, I have to do it that way because it sucks to draw without a tablet.

Cara, that was really nice of you to take over that poor lady's hours. Not many people would do that for someone. :kickass:

And you know banks suck when there are two posts in the same day, in two different locations, where they screwed two people completely in the ass. The PG county credit union did similar to me, of what Kevin's bank did, then they sent the card with someone eles name! The third time around, they sent the right name but someone eles account number. I withdrew all of my money and went to a different bank.

Hey derek, can you explain to this ignorant American why if Rome takes place in Rome and Rome is in Italy half of the characters look white rather than Italian? And speak in British accents? Are they from Britain?

Also, if you're up for it, could you name some of the historical inaccuracies you mentioned before? Or Max.

Hey derek, can you explain to this ignorant American why if Rome takes place in Rome and Rome is in Italy half of the characters look white rather than Italian? And speak in British accents? Are they from Britain?

Also, if you're up for it, could you name some of the historical inaccuracies you mentioned before? Or Max.

Well, one of the most obvious things is that we have NO idea what Latin sounded like in the original. We make assumptions regarding silent J's and the collation of U's and V's, but we have literally no idea what it sounds like. When you consider that, even if they had been speaking Latin, they would probably have been just as wrong as to use English/British accents.

The other, more common sense argument is that, had it been in Latin (best guess to classical Latin anyways) then nobody would have understood what was going on, even many Latin experts. Complaining about the fact it's in English is ridiculous.

As for the skin colour of the characters there are a few things: i) Pullo and Vorenus are of more Northern heritage. Rome by the Late Republic was essentially a set of established families and a mass of citizens with only a few generations of citizenship, many of them from all over the known world at that point.

Modern understand of Nations does not apply, for the set up was different then. Vorenus is of Gallic stock, and his great-great Grandfather was likely a Gaul, which explains his genetics. Pullo was the same, he was the son of a slave, which he says was from North of Itay, but his parents were concievably from anywhere (such was the nature of bondage) and so he could have been British, which explains his skin colour.

Throw in that we don't know weather conditions, and that the Romans spent much time in the shade, and it's hardly a leap to look at them as different from the modern, tanned Italian.

I'm pressed for time, but the main historical innacuraces can be found on Wikipedia for each specific episode. Generally I'd point out the lack of the Triumvir Marcus Licinius Crassus, the bad characterisation of Agrippa, the obvious embellishment on the lives and importance of Vorenus and Pullo (although they are attested as living soldiers by Caesar his his "Gallic Wars"), The character of Octavia is portrayed wrongly too, for she was married several times, with children, prior to Caesar's death.

Is eating cake, and recalling that at work yesterday I was told by one customer that I look Russian, by another that I look German, and by yet another that I just look European, each comment accompanied by the question of where I'm from.

This happens almost every day WTF!!

Mmmm cax.

untitled-1.jpg

thats quite a drive.

Besides I promised a certain texan that I'd save monies for the next big meat adventure.