say something about ... yourself!

Ok. Thank you for speaking for the 300 million non wealthy Americans, who are just clones of one another, eating everything the media spoons out. It's about as bad as you living in another country, getting your information either only online or through your own media outlets and presume to know all of the facts. I'm certainly not rich, and I'm not particularly miserable.

It's not about you and whether or not you're happy. It's about the country as a whole. I'm happy as a pig in shit over here, absolutely zero stress, I have nice job opportunities, and my life is amazing, but that doesn't mean that Italy is a particularly good place to live these days. If you've got money it is, just like in the US. In fact, the parallels between the two are astonishing; Italy wants to be the US so badly that it's making the very same mistakes. I just got lucky, that's all, and that's precisely my point. Americans need to learn to differentiate between lucky bastards and reality.

It's about the decline of an entire people, not whether or not you're personally happy. Still, no one here is spending welfare checks on rims. No one buys shit they can't afford and racks up 20 grande in credit card debt. Americans just need to re-evaluate what is really important in their lives...that's all I'm saying. You can't tell me that the most indebted and wasteful country in the world is in the shitter and the people have nothing to do with it.

It's kind of ironic too. You live in Italy, and still proclaim to love "America" (the land) and act as though it's your other home. So what are you then, a no percenter?

That's exactly what I am, a "no percenter". I think everyone should be a "no percenter". I'm impressed by your observation and I like that term. You could say I love everything about America that doesn't include people, but then again you could say that about me regarding any place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some tree-hugging hippie...I just think that the greatest thing about America now has nothing to do with cities, government, economy, etc.:

I think the greatest thing about America is how wild it is. It's so open and big and free and beautiful, and to illustrate how fucked up Americans are these days, instead of going out and experiencing these wonders of the US and getting centered, getting focused, surrounding themselves with the beauty that can bring peace of mind, they throw thousands of dollars at doctors to prescribe them pills because they're unhappy, then rush off and go shopping to make themselves feel better, putting themselves in more debt and thereby making themselves even more unhappy. The best things about America are all free, and we end up thinking that we have to pay for our happiness because all the shitty things about America AREN'T free, so we end up buying our own unhappiness. This may sound a little out there, maybe a little new age faggotry, but that's not my intent. I'm sure Kevin may understand where I'm going with this.

All we do as Americans is distract ourselves. Everything we buy, everything we do serves simply as a distraction because we're BORED TO DEATH, and people have made so much money on our boredom that it has become a veritable way of life. Everything is just a distraction to us because all the great shit about America is free. We all do this, no matter where we are...it's ingrained into us. I still do it myself and I don't even live in the US anymore. Granted, it's small shit like buying video games that I could honestly do without, but the point is still valid. We need constant entertainment because we're so bombarded with it on a daily basis that we can't just be bored every now and then. We grew up in this "more, more, more" environment and it's a hard cycle to break.

Every morning I go outside with my dog Marduk, my pipe, and a book and I sit in my back yard and watch him play and steal pears from my neighbor's tree for about an hour. It's 70 degrees and there's always a light breeze blowing because I live at the foot of the mountains, and the air is so clean and fresh. I spend my entire morning back there and it's the highlight of my day. Not my motorcycle, not my video games, not my guitars, nothing else compares to that time with my dog and nature every morning. Yet I still have to search Steam every day for new deals for video games that I probably won't even like, but will buy anyway because they're so cheap. This is the American in me. This is an example of our inherent need to be stimulated constantly, and of all the places in the world I've lived and traveled to, no one needs that stimulation as badly as we Americans do. This addiction to stimulation is exacerbated when you live in America because everything's cheap and everything's there for the taking. This is what we need to change about ourselves.

One last thing: just as you claimed I was somehow generalizing 300 million people being unhappy, are you saying that just because YOU'RE happy that the other 300-something million people are happy as well? If you're going to claim I'm speaking for 300 million Americans, then you're doing the same thing. Obviously I didn't mean EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. That's usually the last line of defense, however. Whenever someone pulls out the "you're just generalizing" argument, they're usually on the ropes. I'm gonna put my balls out there and say that there are way more unhappy Americans today than happy ones. Don't analyze it, don't pick at it. It is what it is. The 90's are over, sadly. There's a silver lining, though: you'll be back on the upswing far sooner and for far longer than anyone over here will be.

Furthermore, what is it about your life that makes you happy? Leave recent purchases and your job out of your reasons. Unless you're an artist or your "job" is actually your lifestyle, if you need your job to make you happy, your life is fucked.

DW voices my own opinions better than I ever could. If I go to any part of Europe, definitly making a stop to Italy to meet ya. That and I love ancient Rome.

Speaking of which, when are we getting a new Novembre album?

It's not about you and whether or not you're happy. It's about the country as a whole. I'm happy as a pig in shit over here, absolutely zero stress, I have nice job opportunities, and my life is amazing, but that doesn't mean that Italy is a particularly good place to live these days. If you've got money it is, just like in the US. In fact, the parallels between the two are astonishing; Italy wants to be the US so badly that it's making the very same mistakes. I just got lucky, that's all, and that's precisely my point. Americans need to learn to differentiate between lucky bastards and reality.

It's about the decline of an entire people, not whether or not you're personally happy. Still, no one here is spending welfare checks on rims. No one buys shit they can't afford and racks up 20 grande in credit card debt. Americans just need to re-evaluate what is really important in their lives...that's all I'm saying. You can't tell me that the most indebted and wasteful country in the world is in the shitter and the people have nothing to do with it.

Oh, ok thanks for clarifying that first you're talking about the 99% sheep who make up almost all of America and their inability to ever truly achieve happiness due to following some unatainable concept, claiming that they would be better off just accepting some zen lifestyle and then letting me know that you weren't talking about individual happiness.

Seriously, make up your mind or get off the soapbox. Or better yet, open up your fourth reich recruiting compounds so you can get your mass genocide underway. It would help me sleep better at night knowing that I won't have to be part of this awful conglomerate for much longer.

One last thing: just as you claimed I was somehow generalizing 300 million people being unhappy, are you saying that just because YOU'RE happy that the other 300-something million people are happy as well? If you're going to claim I'm speaking for 300 million Americans, then you're doing the same thing.

Lol, seriously man. Lay off the lame ass gross generalizations. The only reason you're doing it is so you don't actually have to think about your argument too much.

Wow, someone's offended. Talkingbackwards, all I'm saying is that we would be better off as a nation if we just slowed down, looked to each other, and realized that we should help each other instead of stabbing each other in the back so we can get ahead ourselves. This isn't some "zen" lifestyle, it's just making a conscious decision to be better people. The bottom line here is the US on paper REALLY IS one of the greatest countries on earth as far as opportunity and potential goes, but sadly that's where it ends: on paper. That paper is the constitution. We just need a paradigm shift in our mentality, and until that happens it's not going to improve. It's not up to the president or our government, it's up to us to change the country and the only way to change the country is to change ourselves. Maybe it's a little idealistic but that's the American in me. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but you can't tell me that most Americans are happy these days. They may be happy with their job (unless they're one of the 10 million who don't have one, one of the 7.2 million in prison, or one of the half a million homeless) or their family or where they live, but I think the people living really fulfilling lives are outnumbered by the ones barely holding it together. I'm not trying to offend you, this is just how I see it. Please, by all means, if I am mistaken let me know and give me reasons why.

Genocide? What? You're taking this completely the wrong way. I'm being serious for once and not being flippant. I don't want people to be steamrolled over, I want people to open their eyes. We created this monster ourselves, whether on purpose or by indifference. We are the only ones to blame. WE are the only ones to blame. You, me, and everyone else. We all share in this blame. We want what we don't have and when we get it we want something better because we have to compete with someone else. Competition pervades every single part of our life to the extent that we'll never be happy. We're living in an MMO, an endless treadmill where the carrot on the stick is constantly dangled in front of us and when we finally get it, they just add more content that we have to grind for, and this process just gets repeated over and over again. There is no endgame anymore. We're all just leveling up with no direction. We have to stop playing the game and go outside for once. LOL metaphors.

Sorry if this offends you, but this is my view on the matter.

DW voices my own opinions better than I ever could. If I go to any part of Europe, definitly making a stop to Italy to meet ya. That and I love ancient Rome.

Speaking of which, when are we getting a new Novembre album?

You're welcome any time, brother!

As far as Novembre goes, I might have some bad news. I was speaking to Giuseppe, the drummer, the other night at a show (he's doing live sound for lots of bands now) and he said he's unsure whether there will even be another Novembre album. Apparently there are some problems between he and his brother Carmelo (the singer/guitarist) and they don't look like they're gonna be resolved anytime soon. However, this was a while back so they may patch things up and release it. The album is actually almost finished, they just have to do some finishing touches on it.

I begged him to keep it going. We'll just have to wait and see.

14-year-olds with iPhones. HELL, THE IPHONE ITSELF: 600 dollars for a phone that no one uses for anything but Instagram pics and Facebook.
I laughed my ass off when I read this, I honestly don't know a single person without a 200+ dollar phone, and I know a lot of kids 5-12 years old. Whats really terrible though is I have had the same clothes, phone furniture, etc for 3 years and my sister got a 8mm scratch on her Iphone 4s and got a new one the next day, then 4 months later the same thing happened and she got a new one the next day again ;)

Meh, whatever grumpy.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be grumpy or have a bad attitude or point the finger. I'm just speaking my mind about what's going on in America these days. A lot of my criticism in the past, while all completely true and valid, is just me pushing buttons. But I've realized that Americans will never change by someone pointing out their faults; they just get all huffy and offended and say shit like, "If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German right now!". Ironically, if more countries in southern Europe spoke German, there wouldn't be a crisis :lol:. I wish Friuli would go to Austria, as do most people here. Not a nazi joke, just an economic, social, and cultural truth. It's a somewhat flippant thing to say, and while I'm half joking, I'm only half joking.

We should evaluate why we think we're the best, honestly and candidly. That's all I'm saying. Then we should compare those results with the quality of life of other places around the world and decide whether or not we're on the path we've taken because it's truly the right path or because it's out of some pseudo patriotic or nationalistic sentiment. The greatest thing about America in my opinion is our complete eschewing of useless traditions that are often the trappings of older cultures. We're very streamlined and we have the mentality of, "if it's a good idea to change and it works better, then let's do it!". I LOVE that about America and Americans: we're constantly looking forward. Hence, my frustration why we keep making the same mistakes over and over again when it's obviously not working! Our foreign and domestic policies are JUST NOT WORKING, yet we keep doing it for some reason. Maybe it's fear of the unknown, maybe it's our sedentary lifestyle as of late, I dunno.

Another thing I love about America is how independent people are. I utterly detest the Italian way of living at home until you're comfortable enough to move out. No one takes any chances here...they're afraid of EVERYTHING. This is due to the older generation passing down that fear of the unknown to the younger generation. This is understandable because these people literally had to hide food from the Nazis so they wouldn't starve...no one in the US would ever be able to comprehend something like that and the effects it has on an entire people. But still, no one has any balls here, no one takes any risks. Italians are so risk-averse that it makes me sick. Gone are the days of machismo, now they've been replaced by a bunch of mama's boys who can barely dress themselves without help from mama.

Ok, no more political and socioeconomic banter.

I recently got a Kindle Touch because I'm running out of room to keep all the books I buy, and it's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Also, pirating e-books FTW. I read the first two in the Darth Bane trilogy and I'm about to start on the third. Thanks for that recommendation, guys. Any more SW novels I should pick up?

Just started Les Miserables since I never finished it when I was younger. Got a few others I need to finish as well. Reading four books at the same time can be frustrating, but holy shit it's so much easier with a Kindle.

"MA CHE CAZZO VUOI?!?!?! VAFFANCULO, PEZZO DI MERDA!!!!!" *waves hands about frantically*

an hour later...

"Let'sa go and eat a pizza and drink a beera, ok?"

Yep, that's usually what happens. :D

Haha. My Italian is rusty as hell but I got that one.

Wow, someone's offended. Talkingbackwards, all I'm saying is that we would be better off as a nation if we just slowed down, looked to each other, and realized that we should help each other instead of stabbing each other in the back so we can get ahead ourselves.

Yeah, underneath what seemed almost like a drunken rant from you, I gather as much. I'm not offended with your overall sentiment as much as I was by you acting as though you're the authority on every single person's lifestyle over here or something. That's just silly. You could say things like "the majority of Americans that I see", but the sweeping generalizations are pointless. I don't like a lot of what I see over here either, but I don't presume to speak for an entire country.