say something about ... yourself!

Great info right there. I've already bookmarked many of Andrew's posts already.

On the topic of cardio: I used to jog every other day for almost all of last year (!), but nowadays I don't even jog anymore because weightlifting is enough cardio for me and I really don't need to lose more fat than the rate I am going at (I am actually trying to gain). In the last two weeks I have already seen huge muscle improvement and increased my bench by 30 lbs. I would say I am at my greatest shape ever! I don't know the names to all the different types of lifts, but for arms I do bench press, incline press, military press (standing), bicep curls, and the one where you stand straight and lift the bar upwards to your chest. What are some other good ones? I'm not trying to be superman and do everything, I just don't want to brush across any weakness that I am not noticing. And another thing I have learned about improving/increasing your bench press is to improve your strength in other lifts. Seems kinda obvious now, but at first I thought all I had to do was just keep working at benching. WRONG! All the muscles work together and you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Also- Don't do fucking steroids... your heart is a muscle too. What do you think steroids do to your heart? Enlarges it, and that's not good...

You bench press flat and incline, and then do a shoulder press, for your arms? The last exercise you're doing is an upright row, that works your shoulders, and sorta you biceps i guess. You have lats, traps, delts, pecks, bi's and tri's to work out. Lower back, abs, forearms, and then legs. You can pair Bi's and Tri's to one day. Delts and traps, chest, lats, legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
You bench press flat and incline, and then do a shoulder press, for your arms? The last exercise you're doing is an upright row, that works your shoulders, and sorta you biceps i guess. You have lats, traps, delts, pecks, bi's and tri's to work out. Lower back, abs, forearms, and then legs. You can pair Bi's and Tri's to one day. Delts and traps, chest, lats, legs.

where did i say those were for arms? if you read back through the post i broke the days up into 1. chest+back 2. shoulders 3. bis + tris 4. legs; the bench press i was talking about in the first workout was for his chest and back workout and the shoulder press was in the sample shoulder workout I posted for him; i didn't post anything for arms in terms of exercises because most of them are so obvious and easy to work with while others can be more complicated.

upright rows do not work your biceps; they work your medial deltoid primarily and anterior deltoid a little bit (all the exercise is controlling is shoulder flexion and extension with some rotation, your biceps only control flexion and extension at the elbow; nothing more).

your splits are atrocious and a very incorrect view of anatomy in terms of training; low back is lumped in with the core for training (your core is by definition the 29 muscles in the lumbo-pelvic hip complex) in terms of the bridge, superman and cobra.

The reason i split it that way is because you're going from the main movers out; for example you work your chest and back, then the next day you work your shoulders because it's a slight secondary mover in those exercises; if you did shoulders then chest and back your shoulders would already be semi fatigued and wouldn't be able to assist in pressing and pulling and would be getting ripped up again but to a lesser extent and losing effects from training. same concept with arms as if you worked bis and tris the day before chest and back you'd have them fatigued and wouldn't be able to use them as secondary movers for pressing and pulling and so they'd get ripped up again but to a lesser extent and you'd be almost negating the workout you did the day before. thats why you start with the big muscles and then go rip the small ones up individually the days after.

most of the videos on youtube for fitness are bullshit; i'll watch that guys but honestly most people are gym rats who don't know shit about the science behind exercise. i've been meaning to make a channel of my own to answer the most commonly asked questions and go over certain exercises but i just need someone to film it, when i do get it up though it'll be way easier to just direct people to the corresponding video actually BACKED BY FACTS (I'm NASM certified, CPR/AED certified, working on my ACE certification, a Kinesiology major, been training and mentoring under an olympic trainer since I was 13, have researched almost every major fitness program on the market and have worked in 4 gyms where i've studied and talked with many different top of the line trainers; i still have a ways to go but i don't say things for certain unless i know them from facts and if it's speculation based on things i try to make that apparent)

I don't even read your posts.

:lol:!

Like I said, I know jack shit about any of this stuff but I'm learning. And I realise bench/incline/military press aren't mainly exercises to target arms, but am I wrong to assume that it works out the arms too? o_O I don't have dumbells to lift with, so my arm exercises are limited to what I can do with the bar and weights...

Btw, Gregg Valentine is a has-been fuck up. Props to him for going twenty-something years clean, but the guy is a loud-mouthed meat head jabroni whose bicep exploded because of steroids :lol: Who cares what he has to say.

Nah, he knows what he's talking about. You don't just shove steroids up your ass and wake up the next day with 30 inch arms. Yes I understand you're a newb, and your resources are probably low, so doing those exercises aren't bad for you, but they're also working more than just your arms, if there was any confusion. You can either listen to me, or you can look like this the rest of your life:

tumblr_ld3y1j5eRA1qaldhq.jpg

C'mon.

Great info right there. I've already bookmarked many of Andrew's posts already.

On the topic of cardio: I used to jog every other day for almost all of last year (!), but nowadays I don't even jog anymore because weightlifting is enough cardio for me and I really don't need to lose more fat than the rate I am going at (I am actually trying to gain). In the last two weeks I have already seen huge muscle improvement and increased my bench by 30 lbs. I would say I am at my greatest shape ever! I don't know the names to all the different types of lifts, but for arms I do bench press, incline press, military press (standing), bicep curls, and the one where you stand straight and lift the bar upwards to your chest. What are some other good ones? I'm not trying to be superman and do everything, I just don't want to brush across any weakness that I am not noticing. And another thing I have learned about improving/increasing your bench press is to improve your strength in other lifts. Seems kinda obvious now, but at first I thought all I had to do was just keep working at benching. WRONG! All the muscles work together and you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Also- Don't do fucking steroids... your heart is a muscle too. What do you think steroids do to your heart? Enlarges it, and that's not good...

Since I never got to your post I'll respond to it:
1. Cardio - Yeah you can just do circuit training for your cardio, although you will miss out on a couple of the benefits to your heart and lungs that standard long slow distance or interval training cardio on a stairstepper, treadmill or bike would provide (although they all come with their own issues so honestly it's not a huge deal; i do cardio like that maybe once a month tops because I just don't need it although for almost all of my clients I would have them do it)
2. As that other dude said yeah those exercises aren't for your arms (some of them may use the muscles of your arm as a secondary mover like you state later but aren't specifically for your arms) though you even stated you didn't know 100% from the start. I'll go over what those exercises work and then I'll go over 1 exercise for each major body part/muscle that you're missing that you can apply (and you can use the splits I mentioned in the post to john to use those exercises in the workout)

Bench Press - Chest, triceps, anterior deltoid (basically a standard push motion, a great way to build up your pecs and strength in many muscles as it uses a lot and those 3 are the main components; depending on how you do it will affect your result such as you can do low weight 25 times, high weight 1-3 times, medium weight 8-12 times or any other combination such as one arm at a time etc. they all result in different results so you'd have to decide what your ideal goal is and then work from there)

Incline Press - Chest, triceps, anterior deltoid (again just a pushing motion so very similar to the bench press obviously but slightly different in that it involves a little bit of your pec minor and a bit more of your anterior deltoid. the regular chest press goes straight forward and uses your chest and triceps the most but when you change that angle the pec minor gets involved a tiny bit and the anterior deltoid starts to take a large amount of the burden)

Military Press - Anterior deltoid, some medial depending on motion (depending on how you do it it can generate different results so you'd have to know your goal and then work from there but this is a very good one to do; it can involve some triceps but honestly its really not much so i don't even count it in there. also if you're using a high weight i STRONGLY recommend that you do it sitting against a bench fully upright instead of standing; standing can cause people with tight lats or muscle imbalances to use a compensation such as curving their lower back too much and having odd pelvic tilts which can become a serious issue so if you're going to do it make sure you're using a good weight and keeping yourself in a good neutral posture so you don't develop any faulty movement patterns or compensations which fuck you over later)

Bicep Curl - Biceps (dur, however the way you do the motion can affect it differently so if your palms are facing forward thats one way, if you have the dbells so they're vertical as you bring them up then thats whats called a hammer curl and some say it works the peak of the bicep and other small sections in there a bit more but people are divided on that, or you can rotate it from vertical to palms forward as you come up which is called a supinating bicep curl; whatever way you do i suggest you involve all of those and make sure that you're allowing the bicep to go through the full range of motion in that you squeeze at the top and as you lower the weight in the eccentric motion, you make sure its slow and controlled and that you allow your elbow to fully extend so you get the best full result instead of cheating)

Upright Row - anterior deltoid, medial deltoid (i mentioned this before but this is a contra-indicated exercise so if you're going to do it make sure you look up how to have proper form and don't fuck around with it. it can impinge the shoulder joint very easily and really mess things up so a lot of places won't even allow their trainers to have their clients do it though i have people do it because contra-indicated means it can be dangerous, but since i teach them the correct form and make sure they're doing it properly its not an issue and they get the great benefit that comes from doing it. make sure you don't raise your traps as you bring the weight up because many people do that which causes compensations later and faulty movement patterns thus resulting in back pain and muscle imbalances in the thoracic and cervical spine region)

Now what you're missing is an exercise for a lot of other body parts so again I'll name one for a few of the parts you need to focus on because as you stated later yes, they do affect each other. The way your body moves and does things is called your Kinetic chain and just like a chain, if anything is weak or screwed up it can cause a reaction that affects things in completely different areas. Thus you need to make sure all your muscles are trained in the way you want for the goal you desire and that you're doing things correctly and safe and not involving excess momentum, other muscle groups to try to take over for an inhibited one (known as synergistic dominance when a secondary mover takes over for an inhibited prime mover) even to the point of muscles NOT in that motion trying to take over etc. Depending on your goal you'll have a different repetition range, rest interval, weight and motion than any other person so this is just a list of exercises that are generally good but not specific to your desires; i'll start from the top:

Chest - You have that covered with bench press and incline press, though dbell flies would be good as well

Back:
Lats: Pullups, Pulldown machine (make sure you let your arms extend all the way above your head so that the lats stretch all the way then pull down to a tiny bit below chin level to get the full range of motion unless you have a shoulder injury)
Rhomboids: Cable row, Machine row, Low row, one arm dbell row
Lumbar spine: Low back hyper extension machine (hyper extension is usually thought of as an injury but it just means extending far beyond the normal range of motion which that machine/exercise always is), cobra, superman, hyper extension on a ball with your feet against the wall and pelvis on the ball

Core:
Prone iso ab (or colloquially known as the plank)
Cobra (your core is your lumbo-pelvic hip complex so this will sometimes overlap with other things i mention)
Situps
Bicycle
Twist
V-up hold

Shoulders:
Anterior deltoid - Shoulder press, dbell front raise
Medial deltoid - lateral raise, upright row
Posterior deltoid - bent over (so your torso is parallel with the ground) lateral raise, the others i dont remember the name for so i can't list them as i'd have to show you
Rotator cuff - rotator cuff curls (take a cable machine and make the resistance direction however you're rotating your shoulder be it internal rotation, external rotation etc), YTV, turkish getup
Traps - (i don't do these because honestly it'll end up being worked in other exercises either by accident or just because but some dudes love having huge traps) Shrugs

Arms:
Biceps - Bicep curl (hammer, supinating, regular, concentration)
Triceps - pushdown, skull crushers, kickbacks, narrow grip pushup (involves your chest obvious but on chest day you can do this; have your hands at about the nipple line and in so your hands basically make a W and keep your elbows in tight to your body)
Forearms - wrist curls (for the extensors and flexors just grab a dbell, rest your elbows on your knees sitting down so the dbells are in the air and then curl your wrist up to the ceiling with your palms up, then flip them over and do the same thing curling them up with palms down)

Legs:
Quads - Squats (also uses other muscles and is a great total leg exercise but uses a lot of the quads)
Hams - Ham curls (using a machine where you set the bar up in the air while you're sitting down and you curl it with your legs down or you can attach an ankle brace to your leg on a machine and just flex your knee)
Calves - Raises (using a machine or just stand on a surface like a stair so the ball of your foot is on the stair and your feet are both shoulder width apart and straight forward, then balance on one foot and push your heel to the ground without it touching then on the ball of your foot raise yourself up)
Glutes - Lunges (walking lunges, weighted lunges, lunges in multiple planes of motion etc)
Adductors and Abductors can be worked on machines but i wouldn't worry about them just yet

That should give you something to start with for a generalized thing.

I can't get enough of this show....so bummed I have to wait for the next season. This is my favorite scene: