SCALD / VERMITRONIC PRESS RELEASE: VERMICULATUS - ORDER NOW!

nice one J

so they have it in stock now?

should mention that on the vermitronic site

related news> just heard from a mate that
Rumore (big mainstream music mag in italy) gave us 5/5
thats probably our least underground thing ever!

unhinged said:
did we not send you it nathan?

I haven't got it yet, but stuff from Europe has been known to take up to 2 weeks before. It's no big deal. If I get 2 copies, I'll probably pass one to my man Circus Brimstone. We can do a tag team review or something. He's better than me anyway.

lizard said:
that's because they're a simmering cunt phenomenon!!!:loco:

oi!

actually Nate, Jason's just bought it from the end too:lol:

heres one of the few reviews we've had in english

http://www.live4metal.com/reviews-437.htm

This Northern Ireland quartet are new to me, so some research was in order on their past. A quick read and a few downloads later of their previous material tells me that Scald have gone from early stages of grind to a much more progressive outfit. What sets this new offering apart from their more recent recordings is that there are no vocals anywhere on Vermiculatus. Scald have a fixation with the concept of worms and worm-like formations and movements (vermiculation I think the process is called) to such an extent that the band have tried to produce the aural equivalent of the process. Putting this CD into my player and seeing that it was one track of over 47 minutes gave me a degree of apprehension. Scald are not the first band to experiment with 1 song affairs, as albums such as Edge of Sanity’s Crimson, Green Carnation’s Light of Day and Meshuggah’s I, have all tried the idea with varying amounts of success. This album takes you on a vivid auditory experience by trying to encapsulate the listener in a series of soundscapes that progress from simplistic and melodic interludes to skull crushing and truly terrifying assaults on your senses. The instrumental composition is divided into 2 sections, the first part comprising about 25 minutes of unique non-duplicated material followed by a remaining ambient section. Influences are not really relevant as Scald have an inimitable style of their own, but for those needing reference points, there are various traits taken from Voivod, Godflesh, Head of David and indeed the harmonious aspects do remind of Green Carnation at times during the metal section. The album starts off very serenely before the huge, crushing guitar sound envelops you. As the music progresses no part is underdone or overstays its welcome as the musicians interweave their instruments with the synth and sound effects. No one instrument has a dominant edge, but Michael’s guitar work is particularly awesome throughout and worked for me. The metal section closes cleverly as the instruments trail off one by one until you’re left with a basic drum beat that eventually ceases as the synths and sound effects muscle their way in. From here on the listener is taken on a twisting and coiling journey of “ambient reconstruction of the performance part” as the band put it. To fully appreciate the album, especially the ambient phase, headphones are definitely essential as they amplify the feeling of claustrophobia and density tenfold. At times the sound completely encases your head to such an extent that there’s almost a suffocating feeling. Various sounds and effects materialise in different areas with headphones on and made this is much more engaging listen. To finish the whole experience off, there is a three minute animation which is essentially the third and final phase of the concept. What you get is a disturbing rapid fire set of flashing wire frame images of humans and worms as they mutate from one form to another. The transposition of worm and human features is done on an interchanging base and set against a backdrop of creeping sound effects and noises that really gets under your skin. It almost looks like the images are tormenting each other as they intermingle.
I gave this album multiple listens at various times, even putting the animated sequence on repeat whilst listening to whole thing in the dark. This is definitely an album to listen to on your own using headphones to fully absorb the atmosphere the band have created. The release is limited to 999 copies only in a deluxe oversized digisleeve, so if want a unique and absorbing experience then this is for you

Nate The Great said:
If I get 2 copies, I'll probably pass one to my man Circus Brimstone.

I bought it also, like unhinged said.

Nate The Great said:
We can do a tag team review or something. He's better than me anyway.

:lol: You just don't try! Or you don't have enough time to spend on reviews. I've counted a couple of times when you've been like, "this review sucks, I know, but...." I just got Headworm a few days ago from that Audio Savant sale, so I'm not exactly a Scald expert like you.

great to hear Moose lad

getting some good reviews too, 8.5 terrorizer this month
I'll be interested to see what you write about it

noticed on your 'censored' thread that you played some headworm in there
thanks for that!

I'll have to give it some more time before I write a review, I'm saying that I like it based on a single listen. I really liked how it pulls together an enormous range of influences and the sort of metal/ambient & noise contrasts going on in there.