Scandinavian Language

Esoterik

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
I've got a question for any European (Scandinavian) especially metal fans. Is there a common language used throughout Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc? Or does each country have a separate language? I'm trying to learn the most common language of that area, but I need to know what it is!

In this "Opeth Live In Norway" vid I have Mikael is speaking quite clearly to the audience, and not in English, so I'm guessing yes. I've heard it called "Scandinavisk" or something like that before, if memory serves. But each country has it's own unique, official language.

No, it's not a Scandinavian part. But the second official language from Finland is Swedish, more or less 150000 speaks that language.
Norway and Sweden can understand each other too.
But I believe all speaks English as a second language.
I'll try to take a look in some pages...'cause I'm not sure.

ChrisEmerson said:
ummm.. just a guess, but id say norway speaks norweigan, sweden speaks swedish and finland speaks finnish?

sorry, not very helpful but i couldnt resist.

no, finland is not part of scandinavia. ask someone who is finnish. i said this once and they got irritated.

norweigan and swedish are germanic tongues that are closely related, much like spanish and portugese are closely related, yet linguistically distinct tongues. the two are also closely related to danish. hence denmark is often considered part of scandanavia. if you look the the flags of the 3 countries, they are very similar. finland has its own language, finnish, which is not closely related to the scandanavian languages, which is also why many don't consider it part of scandanavia. the indigenous people of finland, the sami, are one of two europeans who speak a language that is not a part of the indo-european language family (the other is the language of the basque people of spain). you can learn more about the finnish language at the children of bodom forum (do a search for finnish).

Finland is not a part of scandinavia. Finland is a bilingual country, which means we have to study swedish in school (just came home from swedish exam, didn't go very well). Norwegian, swedish and danish are pretty close to each other. Swedish is the clearest, norwegian harder with few more alphabets and there's a saying that danish is like speaking swedish with a potato in your mouth. Finns usually speak english when confronting a swede. Swedish often require finns to speak swedish in meetings and stuff... I could talk about differences between northern countries all day but it's better to stop here.

the alumnus said:
finland has its own language, finnish, which is not closely related to the scandanavian languages, which is also why many don't consider it part of scandanavia. the indigenous people of finland, the sami, are one of two europeans who speak a language that is not a part of the indo-european language family
the finnish language is part of the finno-ugrian language group...many people in finland also speak swedish though. yea, finland is definitely NOT part of scandinavia.

interesting sidenote, while backpacking in europe this summer i met a guy from norway who spoke norwegian (duh) but said he could understand a little danish and swedish, since they all share a common ancestor.

dorian gray said:
no, finland is not part of scandinavia. ask someone who is finnish. i said this once and they got irritated.

Geographically, Finland is a part of scandinavia. Throughout the history we have been a part of Sweden aswell as Russia,although our language is related to neither. There's a saying in Finland that says: "Swedes we are not, russians we won't become, so let us be finns."

All scandinavian countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland including Finand) generally speak good english, especially the generations after 1960's. I've studied english from third grade to eleventh.

Edit: Oops, I was mixing "Scandinavia" with "the Nordic countries". Scandinavia geographically only means Norway and Sweden. The Nordic countries are the ones I mentioned earlier :D

Eemu said:
Geographically, Finland is a part of scandinavia. Throughout the history we have been a part of Sweden aswell as Russia,although our language is related to neither. There's a saying in Finland that says: "Swedes we are not, russians we won't become, so let us be finns."

All scandinavian countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland including Finand) generally speak good english, especially the generations after 1960's. I've studied english from third grade to eleventh.

Edit: Oops, I was mixing "Scandinavia" with "the Nordic countries". Scandinavia geographically only means Norway and Sweden. The Nordic countries are the ones I mentioned earlier :D

Seems like we scandinavians are a bit missunderstud.
This is mostly a summery and a little additional information

Everery country have their own lanuage, and the norwegian, Swedish and my own danish is similar enought to be understood by the other two countries though sometimes the dialects makes it hard. The Farohe island are in some peoples eyes seen as a part of the nordic countries, the same with greenland as they are (the last two mentioned) mainly ruled by danish government.

Greenland though speaks a language, that i will descibe is mostly common to japanease or Korean (in grammer and the sounds used, though alphabet is like the English). Finland is as mentioned mostly related to Russia or the baltic countries.

English, yes we are generraly quite good, due to the fact, our language (danish, norweigan and swedish) are alltogether spoken by only approx 25 million people, and cannot be used much outside scandinavia.

BurnoutBomberman said:
Norwegian, swedish and danish are pretty close to each other. Swedish is the clearest, norwegian harder with few more alphabets and there's a saying that danish is like speaking swedish with a potato in your mouth. Finns usually speak english when confronting a swede. .

Yes box!

Still Death: Read this.

Eemu said:

Finland=Scandinavia??

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-