Second impression of Katatonia

Green Tea

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2004
I heard good things about this band and a couple of months ago I picked up Brave Murder Day after hearing some samples on cdnow.com . After a while I got hooked on it, the music is ice cold and the vocals are amazing. Well much what happend to me when I got into My Dying Bride...I'm on a quest to get all thier albums. I picked up Viva Emptiness luckily found it at a record store and listening to it it's alright. It's not jaw dropping even though it sounds great. Mabey I have to listen to it more but it seems like all the songs are too repetitive. Nothing stands out on this like parts of Brave Murder Day. I heard they went in a different direction after this album to a softer sound I guess which I'm cool with. It sounds good but it's not grabbing my attention and feeling as much emotion as the other cd I got. I dunno...

Also in the meantime I ordered Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.
How do these albums compare to Viva Emptiness? Do they sound like this? Also, on another board I was recomended Dance of December Souls since I liked Brave Murder Day so much. Thanks.

exactly this is one of the most fascinating sides of the Katatonia's face-that it's almost impossible to complare their albums,to give directions and say what should be expected from the sound of one other creation..
i think that the sound in some of the albums after BMD is even more heavier ..maybe because of the new representation of the ideas..in 'Tonight's decision' and 'Discouraged ones' the gloom becames even much impenetrable and the wall behind the way emerges more bright and...protuberant (?) ...maybe because the verses are more sincere and direct,somehow more cleaned up..

Green Tea said:
I heard good things about this band and a couple of months ago I picked up Brave Murder Day after hearing some samples on cdnow.com . After a while I got hooked on it, the music is ice cold and the vocals are amazing. Well much what happend to me when I got into My Dying Bride...I'm on a quest to get all thier albums. I picked up Viva Emptiness luckily found it at a record store and listening to it it's alright. It's not jaw dropping even though it sounds great. Mabey I have to listen to it more but it seems like all the songs are too repetitive. Nothing stands out on this like parts of Brave Murder Day. I heard they went in a different direction after this album to a softer sound I guess which I'm cool with. It sounds good but it's not grabbing my attention and feeling as much emotion as the other cd I got. I dunno...

Also in the meantime I ordered Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.
How do these albums compare to Viva Emptiness? Do they sound like this? Also, on another board I was recomended Dance of December Souls since I liked Brave Murder Day so much. Thanks.
I think its weird that you think the songs on Viva emtiness is too repetitive, and those on Brave murder day are not...
Anyway: Tonight's decision and Last fair deal gone down are more melodic and less heavy and progressive than Viva. I would reccomend to you that you also buy Discouraged ones. Apart from the vocals, it is more similar to Brave murder day than any other album.
And, as I always say: Every album by this band is great!

It would seem that we have had a similar experience with second impressions of Katatonia. When I got Brave Murder Day I thought it was the shit and so when Discouraged ones came out I bought it thinking it would be similar. When it wasnt I thought "these guys are some kind of gay shit" because I was all hardcore and things had to be a certain way for me to be accepting of it. So I put that cd away after hearing 3 songs from it and didnt pick it up again untill my world had fallen apart and life was shit about 6 mo. later. It hit me totally different than it did previously and they have been my all time fav. band since.
Give every alblum a no distraction listen or two while reading the lyrics at the same time and see what you think. You might find yourself collecting every single thing they have ever done, like me. ;)

Green Tea. I can understand what you are speaking. I had the same problem some years ago, but all the CD's are great. For me, BraveMurderDay is one of the best records that never i listened and still is one of my favourites! But after Brave, they still do a great lyrics, a great music. You won't find a Cd from them really similar than Brave (maybe the EP "Sounds of Decay"), 'cause for me all the Cd's from them are quite different. All is Katatonia, and at least, you will find nearly elements between each cd, but for me, each record give me different sensations.

"my opinion only".