Sex Tranquillity

Originally posted by rahvin
@atlantis: some ppl call true love some decent equilibrium they can find in their life with one significant other, the sort of equilibrium that doesn't just crumble as soon as you turn the next corner.
rahvin.

Re-mumble... but the "significant" not-crumbling to dust at every corner doesn't mean not-crumbling at all.

You know how many grey you can find between white and black- if this "true love" will slide away one day, what will you (generally speaking) gather? It was not "true" enough?

That's my pov- it's true as long as you think it is. But you can happen to reply your instants of "truth" several time in a lifetime- and they're not going to erase the previous ones.

@atlantis: stability might be overrated, but most ppl think something that doesn't crumble for some 20 years is true enough, a bit like power metal. i'm inclined to agree. verifying the truth second after second might be less interesting than having a quiet, peaceful life with a good partner... provided one is interested in a relationship structured in this way. i wouldn't, but then again, who cares? :p

rahvin.

i tend to think that our discussions ("our" as in mine and rahvin's,and possibly other people on the board) are verging on the absurd these days.

okay, we know the world is filled with evil bastards and some of them drove us out of our wits first because we wanted them and them only, then because we wanted to kill them and everyone else.

we also know full well that this has impaired our ability to experiment all the set of feelings we used to harbor for that special someone up to our last relevant relationship.

another precious piece of knowledge concerns our ability to develop a strong attachment for people who have nothing to do with our potential life partner: i'm having more "true love" stuff (including lies about what i can do :lol: ) with my academic mentor than i ever had with any boyfriend, and i don't envision him as such - not at all.

there's a missing piece: how the fuck are we going to get out of this situation? there's no such thing as _no answer_. maybe it's time to think about what kind of barriers we are voluntarily putting in front of our eyes: at times I fully realize that I'm simply *not putting enough effort* in discerning inconsistent, potentially dangerous guys when i see them, since I keep on going with an image of the dream man that has me responding emotionally, even though I know it's just shit.

we should be happy that we're responding gradually less and less to external stimuli, given the utter crappiness of the stimuli we used to respond to before. the world is still full of people the likes of our previous partners, we just look at them in discomfort now instead of systematically wanting to marry them. sometimes we develop some kind of liking to them anyway, but it never gets drastic anymore - and thanks god it doesn't!

so what are we going to do? remain alone (which we aren't) forever and ever? be content (which i, for one, will not ever be) with having all kinds of rewarding relationships with selected people but not a partner? or simply realize that not all that glitters is bu and we got it all wrong so far?

i know i'm not really helping much, but it sort of annoys me to see that i'm making the same mistakes over and over when responding to a new man in my sight, and it annoys me *more* to know that i am possibly heading towards more serious mistakes as times goes by... i wish it would stop. but the reason of the ongoing process does not lie in the masses of lying, dishonest, irrelevant silly people in this world: _we_ were wrong to look at them in the first place.

hyena ( )

Well, the classic story of the human contradiction. Caused by two unconnected and separed systems: intelligence and feelings. The theory is easy to develop: You should rationalize your feelings. The reality show us how difficult it could be, and everyone of us has experienced it before. In any case, is there another way to act? Learn from your mistakes, surely you'll fall again, it's a life's law.

About the "true love" concept, I used it without a concrete meaning. You must have your own definition, there are ppl who believe in the eternal love, and ppl who don't believe in a clear durability of the deepest known feeling. Is fear measurable? So, is love measurable? You feel it in your own way, and you decide about its truthful. Stability? Duration? Most meaningful fields in a relationship? It depends on each person. The concept itself doesn't matter, the main fact is its existence, that only can be ascertained by one way...

|ng.

@|ng: i beg to differ on the part about rationalizing or not rationalizing feelings. My point was that once you realize that a certain type of person is inherently insensitive and devoid of any true attention towards you, you just *stop* feeling towards them. It's not like "I really, really want to be with him, but I stay away because I know that he will hurt me"; it's more like "This person does not give a damn about me and relates to himself only, so I do not find him really attractive because there's no trust I can envision between me and him because he would not even get what i am entrusting him with, no sharing because he is not sharing anything, no dialogue because he's got the emotional depth of a bubububu, even if he's really good looking and I would like to have a go at him". I do not know whether this is rationalizing or not, but for me it influences feelings as well. I have a clear example - there is a guy I like a lot in one of the universities I work for, but I never really _fell_ for him, and why is that? Because all in all I consider him mighty superficial and a bit immature. Even though he's one of the best-looking men I've ever seen, he's got a social position, he's cool to hang out with. I didn't make a conscious move to avoid falling for him (even though maybe I should have, thanks bubu it was not necessary), I just didn't. No conscious rationalization here.

As for measurement of fear and/or love, there is a "how far would I go" (for love; for fear, it is more of "where would i stop", but there's really no reason) rule of thumb, maybe.

hyena (anywhere, both)

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by |ngenius
Is fear measurable? So, is love measurable?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

imho, I think that love is an *extreme* feeling (like hate, that is the same thing on reverse; or fear, that belongs to both), therefore is not possible to measure or control it.

/witch (damn' hot here :cry: )

Lust is a fundamental of love when you're 14. Or at least I hope.

hyena (epigraphic)

@Wandering: which kinda depravation did u eat, for breakfast?

I luv my parents and my sisters with all my heart, never thought to have something like sex or a relationship with they... :guh:

/witch (thinking about that situation make me feel sick :puke: )