Shadow Gallery in 2006

Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask. I would think that doing a one-off show like at Progpower would be easy enough for any band to pull off. It wouldn't be the first time you got an exclusive performance.

woosta said:
So we're asking to see a "STUDIO PROJECT" play live now? Isn't that a glorified garage band technically?

Are you serious? Is it just me? it's him, right?

Is Areyon a garage band?
Is Allen/Lande a garage band?
Is Avantasia a garage band?
Is Explorers Club a garage band?
Is John Arch a garage band?

Maybe Glen should change the Fomat to "Garage Band USA" and them maybe we can see all the "garage bands" listed above. :Smug:

FatesFan said:
Are you serious? Is it just me? it's him, right?

Is Areyon a garage band?
Is Allen/Lande a garage band?
Is Avantasia a garage band?
Is Explorers Club a garage band?
Is John Arch a garage band?

Maybe Glen should change the Fomat to "Garage Band USA" and them maybe we can see all the "garage bands" listed above. :Smug:

dont forget Dali's Dilemma. they're a garage band too!!!!

If people are musicians and actually have musical skills, being a "studio band" isn't going to mean they can't play anything live. That's the reason for musical skills. :rolleyes:

Ascension said:
I'm saying that l don't think they're talented enough to pull their stuff off in a live setting. If you've ever been inside a professional studio, then you've seen the equipment & tricks (filters, eqs, sampling, etc.) that they have at their disposal. I can hear alot of this in their recordings and l'm betting it would be very hard to duplicate some of the stuff they do. That's not to say other bands don't use the same stuff...they pretty much all do. But, alot hit the stage & prove themselves. It's easy to set up in a studio in a relaxed atmosphere with a relative timeframe & lay down loops of material & piece it together. It's very hard to do same said material in a live setting and make it work. I would just like to see this band prove they are as good as their releases sound. That's all. Plenty of other bands do it. Some with greater success than others, but at least they're not afraid to stick their necks out there. l'll give more credence to a band that lays it out there live and fails to a certain degree than a band that never shows up.

That doesn't make any sense at all, dude. If they have never played live, where could you possibly getting evidence for your claim that they couldn't play their material live? In fact, given the fact that they have all been playing music for a number of years, and their music is not hyper-technical or ultra-complex to begin with, I'd say that makes it more likely than not that they would be able to perform their music just fine.

Beyond that, how could one's opinion of how their albums sound be affected by whether they have chosen to play live shows or not? That's makes about as much sense as not buying a car because you don't like the one sitting next to it on the lot.

I hope they never play live.

There I said it. I feel better now.

They are the wrong type of band to be playing live. Their music has a message that isn't well suited to over-amplified idiocy or self-aggrandizing stage shows. They'd certainly be a bad fit for ProgPower - they've got too much slow and quiet stuff that's too important to just throw out in favor of just the heavy numbers.

I think musically they would have little difficulty playing their respective parts. Their major problem is that they've got too many parts so they'd have to sequence a lot of it. And that could work well enough. They could probably even re-arrange and simplify things, keeping the basic melodic framework intact, if they needed to do so. Their other minor problem is that they've got a weakness at vocalist that they'd probably be unable to hide or otherwise compensate for. Though he's been extremely well produced in the studio and sounds good enough on the recordings, it is readily apparent to anyone with any vocal background that he struggles to perform what he does.

That isn't really a detriment to performing if you look at some of the people who have taken the stage at EarthLink. Lars of Manticora and Andy Franck of Brainstorm and Symphorce are both vocalists whose quality is extremely below average - even on the studio recordings. Still, they both compensated just fine with energetic stage antics that distracted the undiscerning enough that you don't hear many complain about it. Kobi is another. The vocals on Mabool are gratingly horrible to my ears and his performance at the pre-party did not alter that assessment. But people like them. Edu was all over the place pitchwise, but people still enjoyed it. So even though the vocals of Shadow Gallery would likely be quite imperfect in concert, they are good enough for your basic meat and potatoes metal head.

The simple fact is that I don't like to watch metal bands perform whom I really like on disc. Rock bands are a different story.

I saw DT very early on the I&W tour. They opened with Metropolis, which was my least favorite song on the disc. When they got past the pre-recorded intro and started playing for real, they sounded like ass. The guitar tones were all wrong. The drums lacked that mechanical precision that most people hate. Labrie sounded good, but not great. I wanted it to sound just like the record, but it didn't. It couldn't. I've only gone back once. I still love I&W despite my bad experiences in concert.

I saw Fates on the APSOG (still my favorite album) tour. Ray was fantastic. Jim was fantastic. Mark was impeccable. Joey was just OK, but the live keyboard guy was all wrong. They'd have been better just sequencing the whole thing. It wasn't enough to ruin it, but it was definitely less of a magical experience or anything like that. Still, I love APSOG despite my slightly disappointing concert experience.

I disconnect the concert performance from the album performance. I'm still waiting for the first metal band that I will hear in my life that I think will sound good in concert. I don't think it's possible. I think my expectations are too high. (The vast majority of) Metal albums are produced sloppily enough without any effort to at least simulate some kind of decent sounding synthetic soundstage. Concerts are horrible. Everything is too loud and all mushy sounding. The mix is always completely fucked up. Even when they get the levels set proportionally correct there isn't a live engineer capable of recreating the dynamics present on the albums. The visual appeal is lacking also. I'm not gay so a bunch of sweaty ugly guys spitting water and swinging their hair around like some kind of tempermental children wearing cheesy clothing bathed in garish lighting that never matches the mood of the music does nothing for me. My best experiences in concert is watching bands whose music is only vaguely familiar to me that have a lot of energy and are just fun to hear - like Therion, PC69, Circus Maximus and Stride for me this year.

I'd expect too much from Shadow Gallery to ever be satisfied with their live performance. I'd find a way to enjoy the show out of the sheer novelty of event, but I'd go back and analyze everything to the point that I'd likely end up hating it and regretting going. They'd probably have to take a whole DC Cooper give a fuck type of performance for me to really enjoy it, ha ha.

I'm pretty sure that I don't correlate the fact that a band performs live with the quality of the band or their music. The Rolling Stones were in my town this last weekend, and I'm so sure that they still completely suck as much or more than they do on their record that I don't need to see them.

I'm sure I'll always be a massive Shadow Gallery fanboy whether they ever perform live or not. I'm guessing not. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so and have declined. I think it's just not their thing. Maybe they are just stage shy. If they just did a set of gospel numbers at the local bible bangers, I'd check it out and report back here immediately whether they were able to pull it off live, ha ha.

Joe

Sumeet said:
That doesn't make any sense at all, dude. If they have never played live, where could you possibly getting evidence for your claim that they couldn't play their material live? In fact, given the fact that they have all been playing music for a number of years, and their music is not hyper-technical or ultra-complex to begin with, I'd say that makes it more likely than not that they would be able to perform their music just fine.

Beyond that, how could one's opinion of how their albums sound be affected by whether they have chosen to play live shows or not? That's makes about as much sense as not buying a car because you don't like the one sitting next to it on the lot.

It makes plenty of sense...if you've ever been there. Laying down material in a studio & piecing it together, adding effects, etc. with high tech equipment and getting a certain "sound & feel" is relatively easy compared to "later" performing the same material onstage. l've done both...believe me...live is much harder to pull off. If you haven't done it....you don't have a clue. Shadow Gallery needs a clue.

Ascension said:
It makes plenty of sense...if you've ever been there. Laying down material in a studio & piecing it together, adding effects, etc. with high tech equipment and getting a certain "sound & feel" is relatively easy compared to "later" performing the same material onstage. l've done both...believe me...live is much harder to pull off. If you haven't done it....you don't have a clue. Shadow Gallery needs a clue.

No, I've never performed music... either live or in a studio. Despite this, I am fully aware of the fact that one can choose between several takes on a studio album and use effects and software to fine tune the sound, none of which is possible during a live show. However, regardless of what studio techniques they use, the result is an album that sounds a certain, specific way. You either like how it sounds or you don't. Your "if you haven't done it you don't have a clue" argument lends no support to (and has nothing to do with) your notion that their lack of live appearances makes their studio albums sound bad.

Joe-× said:
I hope they never play live.

There I said it. I feel better now.

They are the wrong type of band to be playing live. Their music has a message that isn't well suited to over-amplified idiocy or self-aggrandizing stage shows. They'd certainly be a bad fit for ProgPower - they've got too much slow and quiet stuff that's too important to just throw out in favor of just the heavy numbers.

I think musically they would have little difficulty playing their respective parts. Their major problem is that they've got too many parts so they'd have to sequence a lot of it. And that could work well enough. They could probably even re-arrange and simplify things, keeping the basic melodic framework intact, if they needed to do so. Their other minor problem is that they've got a weakness at vocalist that they'd probably be unable to hide or otherwise compensate for. Though he's been extremely well produced in the studio and sounds good enough on the recordings, it is readily apparent to anyone with any vocal background that he struggles to perform what he does.

That isn't really a detriment to performing if you look at some of the people who have taken the stage at EarthLink. Lars of Manticora and Andy Franck of Brainstorm and Symphorce are both vocalists whose quality is extremely below average - even on the studio recordings. Still, they both compensated just fine with energetic stage antics that distracted the undiscerning enough that you don't hear many complain about it. Kobi is another. The vocals on Mabool are gratingly horrible to my ears and his performance at the pre-party did not alter that assessment. But people like them. Edu was all over the place pitchwise, but people still enjoyed it. So even though the vocals of Shadow Gallery would likely be quite imperfect in concert, they are good enough for your basic meat and potatoes metal head.

The simple fact is that I don't like to watch metal bands perform whom I really like on disc. Rock bands are a different story.

I saw DT very early on the I&W tour. They opened with Metropolis, which was my least favorite song on the disc. When they got past the pre-recorded intro and started playing for real, they sounded like ass. The guitar tones were all wrong. The drums lacked that mechanical precision that most people hate. Labrie sounded good, but not great. I wanted it to sound just like the record, but it didn't. It couldn't. I've only gone back once. I still love I&W despite my bad experiences in concert.

I saw Fates on the APSOG (still my favorite album) tour. Ray was fantastic. Jim was fantastic. Mark was impeccable. Joey was just OK, but the live keyboard guy was all wrong. They'd have been better just sequencing the whole thing. It wasn't enough to ruin it, but it was definitely less of a magical experience or anything like that. Still, I love APSOG despite my slightly disappointing concert experience.

I disconnect the concert performance from the album performance. I'm still waiting for the first metal band that I will hear in my life that I think will sound good in concert. I don't think it's possible. I think my expectations are too high. (The vast majority of) Metal albums are produced sloppily enough without any effort to at least simulate some kind of decent sounding synthetic soundstage. Concerts are horrible. Everything is too loud and all mushy sounding. The mix is always completely fucked up. Even when they get the levels set proportionally correct there isn't a live engineer capable of recreating the dynamics present on the albums. The visual appeal is lacking also. I'm not gay so a bunch of sweaty ugly guys spitting water and swinging their hair around like some kind of tempermental children wearing cheesy clothing bathed in garish lighting that never matches the mood of the music does nothing for me. My best experiences in concert is watching bands whose music is only vaguely familiar to me that have a lot of energy and are just fun to hear - like Therion, PC69, Circus Maximus and Stride for me this year.

I'd expect too much from Shadow Gallery to ever be satisfied with their live performance. I'd find a way to enjoy the show out of the sheer novelty of event, but I'd go back and analyze everything to the point that I'd likely end up hating it and regretting going. They'd probably have to take a whole DC Cooper give a fuck type of performance for me to really enjoy it, ha ha.

I'm pretty sure that I don't correlate the fact that a band performs live with the quality of the band or their music. The Rolling Stones were in my town this last weekend, and I'm so sure that they still completely suck as much or more than they do on their record that I don't need to see them.

I'm sure I'll always be a massive Shadow Gallery fanboy whether they ever perform live or not. I'm guessing not. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so and have declined. I think it's just not their thing. Maybe they are just stage shy. If they just did a set of gospel numbers at the local bible bangers, I'd check it out and report back here immediately whether they were able to pull it off live, ha ha.

Joe

You typed too much. I didn't read a word of it...

Glenn has done some amazing things in the past. Can anyone say "Conception"??? I think this would the ultimate.

Can you imagine, "First Live Performance Ever" for a band that has been around and consistently put out quality music that long. I have not hear a single bad thing from them.

Tommy

The Wolf said:
Glenn has done some amazing things in the past. Can anyone say "Conception"??? I think this would the ultimate.

Can you imagine, "First Live Performance Ever" for a band that has been around and consistently put out quality music that long. I have not hear a single bad thing from them.

Tommy

Definitely man. If glenn pulls this off, hands down to him ....Conception, the best thing ever, and shadow gallery!!..2 bands I wouldn't think to ever see live, or anyone bring them to play live.

Sumeet said:
No, I've never performed music... either live or in a studio. Despite this, I am fully aware of the fact that one can choose between several takes on a studio album and use effects and software to fine tune the sound, none of which is possible during a live show. However, regardless of what studio techniques they use, the result is an album that sounds a certain, specific way. You either like how it sounds or you don't. Your "if you haven't done it you don't have a clue" argument lends no support to (and has nothing to do with) your notion that their lack of live appearances makes their studio albums sound bad.

LoL...I never said their studio releases sound bad...geez, send to them school........

Prior commitments for every weekend for the next 14 months??? Suuuuure... sounds like these guys are making every excuse they can to not play live...